GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
    Another little piece of advice for travelling round Europe... Eurostar is actually working out cheaper than the "budget" airlines at the moment, and it's better environmentally too. For example, to fly to my old home town in France from my current town in England, I could get a £10 flight out and a £12 flight back, but then they want to charge me £10 booking fee, another £5 per piece of luggage, £10 just to check in and so on and so forth. And that's pretty much one of the cheapest flights around. The only reason it would work out cheaper for me to go from here is because it's a £2 bus fare each way rather than the £12 rail fare!

Also, if it's countryside you're interested in, then it's always worth considering a crossing from Southampton or Portsmouth. It takes a few hours, which is longer, but you can often cross for as little as a pound, and you arrive in La Havre / Cherbourg which I, personally much prefer to Calais. Plus you can see all the buildings and bits and pieces from the famous film!

Whilst travelling around France, make sure you use their "blue zones". Basically, they have on peak and off peak travel, off peak brings 25% off your train fare. If you're under 25, make sure your passport is handy, because you'll get another 25-50% off. Restrictions are basically that you have to travel after 10am and before 7pm, if I remember correctly.

And a last little tip for any of you heading to Paris, Sarkozy recently made the national museums (Louvre, Pompidou, d'Orsée etc) free for under 26s. So take ID there as well. I'm assuming it applies to internationals and that you don't need a CI to do it.
    Hmmmm. Sounds like I'm too 'old' to go to France these days

Are there any small towns/rural areas near Cherbourg that are cool and would be neat to spend the night in? The nearest I've been is Ambrières-les-Vallées. Absolutely loved the area!!! Stayed on a farm for a while.
    Last edited by hisg1fans; 20 April 2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      I took the Eurostar to Paris after the last con. I was advised that the later you wait, the most expensive it is so if you know that is your plan, book early.
      Thanks! I should have all my plans plotted out by the end of June latest I think so any tickets needed, I'll try and buy then.

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
      Another little piece of advice for travelling round Europe... Eurostar is actually working out cheaper than the "budget" airlines at the moment, and it's better environmentally too. For example, to fly to my old home town in France from my current town in England, I could get a £10 flight out and a £12 flight back, but then they want to charge me £10 booking fee, another £5 per piece of luggage, £10 just to check in and so on and so forth. And that's pretty much one of the cheapest flights around. The only reason it would work out cheaper for me to go from here is because it's a £2 bus fare each way rather than the £12 rail fare!

Also, if it's countryside you're interested in, then it's always worth considering a crossing from Southampton or Portsmouth. It takes a few hours, which is longer, but you can often cross for as little as a pound, and you arrive in La Havre / Cherbourg which I, personally much prefer to Calais. Plus you can see all the buildings and bits and pieces from the famous film!

Whilst travelling around France, make sure you use their "blue zones". Basically, they have on peak and off peak travel, off peak brings 25% off your train fare. If you're under 25, make sure your passport is handy, because you'll get another 25-50% off. Restrictions are basically that you have to travel after 10am and before 7pm, if I remember correctly.

And a last little tip for any of you heading to Paris, Sarkozy recently made the national museums (Louvre, Pompidou, d'Orsée etc) free for under 26s. So take ID there as well. I'm assuming it applies to internationals and that you don't need a CI to do it.
      Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
      I actually enjoy the Portsmouth - Cherbourg crossing. We used to do it every summer holiday and if you've spent a lot of time on trains (or in the car in our case) getting around either country I found it was really nice to stretch my legs for a few hours...it's a bit of a break from travelling and can be a lot of fun if you're in a group.
      Thanks you two for the info. Might have to revise my plans to include the Portsmouth/Southhamton crossing, though the trek up to Belgium/Germany will be decidedly longer being farther south. Might be cheaper in the crossing, but bus/train fare might make up for it I believe. The scenery might be worth it though. Sounds wonderful!

Comment

Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hey guys!

Just popping in to say "howdy"...And what lovely photos of Pengyn and Amanda (no the other one!) at Vancouver Con!! Check out the gallery!! Also Pengyn: great con reports!

Hope all well here!!

S'n'T
          "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
          Sara O' Neill's father;
          COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Amanda should just get her name officially changed to "Amanda (no the other one!)."

Some members of my family think it's funny to call me "Eileen I mean" but then I am a twin
            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Comment

Any chance of telling us how many weeks??? I love the days but weeks go faster...don't they??
                Hang on...let me do the math.....29 weeks if I did the math right...give or take a few days.
                I think I like the days better!!
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                    Any chance of telling us how many weeks??? I love the days but weeks go faster...don't they??
                    Hang on...let me do the math.....29 weeks if I did the math right...give or take a few days.
                    I think I like the days better!!
                    Dividing 207 by 7 I got roughly 29 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by SEREN LWCH (MAL) View Post
                      Dividing 207 by 7 I got roughly 29 weeks
                      Don't do that! Do you know how many essays, assignments and exams I have to do by then!? It scares me.
                      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

I can't believe that we're almost under 200 days... one week off from that.... *squee*
                        sigpic
                        awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

okay I have a question... By my calculation it' only 204 days to AT4....

today is the 23rd April. there are 7 days left in April
                          May=31 RT(running total)=38
                          June=30 RT=68
                          July=31 RT=99
                          August =31 RT=130
                          Septmber =30 RT 160
                          October =31 RT 191
                          AT4 starts 13th November so 13 + 191=204....

My excel spreadsheet calculates it at 204 too....
                          204/7 = 29 weeks and one day
                          i'm just saying....

Becks

Comment

Hmmm.......divide by 3........multiply by four......carry the one.....minus six.........I do believe you are correct!

Yay!
                            sigpic

Comment

It makes my head hurt, but I think you are right as well
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
                                okay I have a question... By my calculation it' only 204 days to AT4....

today is the 23rd April. there are 7 days left in April
                                May=31 RT(running total)=38
                                June=30 RT=68
                                July=31 RT=99
                                August =31 RT=130
                                Septmber =30 RT 160
                                October =31 RT 191
                                AT4 starts 13th November so 13 + 191=204....

My excel spreadsheet calculates it at 204 too....
                                204/7 = 29 weeks and one day
                                i'm just saying....

Becks

Trust her. It's a math thing.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X