X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
    *remembers O'Hare....not a small feat*
    Is there video of this??
    probably somewhere. i just vaguely remember dashing from gate b2 to b18 or something like that....basically from the end to the middle, getting to the desk, holding out my boarding pass, gasping and waving it. i'd ran in and around a ton of people getting there.

the guy at the desk 'do you need to get on this plane?'

I nodded.

he unlocked the door and let me board the plane. I was literally the last one on.

what i do think helped they loaded a TON of baggage after i got on, i'm wondering if they were hauling US mail, so were encouraged to wait a bit to see if they could make it

whatever, i got on the plane, found my friend, had a nice stewardess bring me water because i was gasping and coughing for a bit....then we pulled away from the gate and proceeded to sit on the tarmac for another hour and a half waiting for a bad thunderstorm to pass...with winds to bad it literally rocked the plane

quite the experience
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      probably somewhere. i just vaguely remember dashing from gate b2 to b18 or something like that....basically from the end to the middle, getting to the desk, holding out my boarding pass, gasping and waving it. i'd ran in and around a ton of people getting there.

I nodded.

he unlocked the door and let me board the plane. I was literally the last one on.

what i do think helped they loaded a TON of baggage after i got on, i'm wondering if they were hauling US mail, so were encouraged to wait a bit to see if they could make it

whatever, i got on the plane, found my friend, had a nice stewardess bring me water because i was gasping and coughing for a bit....then we pulled away from the gate and proceeded to sit on the tarmac for another hour and a half waiting for a bad thunderstorm to pass...with winds to bad it literally rocked the plane

quite the experience

I despise O'Hare as I always have bad luck there. The worst was flying back to Seattle from NYC when I had to get from B-3 to F-8 which requires going to a lower level (or higher) and on those long moving paths like at Heathrow which are supposed to make things easier. The problem started when I visited a loo and forgot my handbag with my ticket and all my ID and money!! I discovered it rather quickly but it was gone when I got back there. To make matters worse, I had a really bad back and hip and could not walk without pain. I went to the customer service immediately but they were NOT helpful--one of the women there asked me, "what do you want ME to do?" Another one said to find a cop. "Where" I asked. They didn't know. I mean, customer service?...NOT! By this time I had missed my flight and I was feeling quite ill. A cop did come along on a golf cart who gave me a ride to see if it had been turned in at several different stations. It hadn't, so he suggested I go to F-8 and see if it was there. He couldn't take me on the cart because of the escalator so I had to walk (limp) and it wasn't there. I was practically in tears. Finally one of the guys handing out boarding passes took pity on me and told me to sit there while he traipsed all over and found it finally at B-3, the first place I had asked!!!
      He ran all the way back just in time to get me on the next flight, bless him! When we got to Seattle I couldn't get out of my seat--needed help as my back had about given up. The next day I was in the hospital having an MRI and surgery to remove a cyst from me spine. Not fun, but the pain was instantly gone. I avoid O'Hare now if I possibly can.

donamac

Comment

my first experience with ohare was for gatecon 2001.

which was a week post 911. Needless to say,t hings were a bit off.

my flight was supposed to be kc to denver to seattle, but the kc to denver leg was canceled, so i was rerouted kc to chicago to seattle (which made no bloody sense but whatever)

got to the air port waaaayyy early, before the ticket counter even opened (kci is a small airport and virtually shuts down at night)

we boarded...the capt said 'well,everyone that's booked for this flight is here so i got permission from the tower and we're leaving early'

we left 10 minutes early, got in early. i had to change terminals at ohare, which was virtually empty, (6am the tuesday after the hijacking....yeah, dead zone)

oh and i was flying united, so double whammy there

got on a 777, got breakfast....had 3 whole seats to myself because the plane was maybe 1/3 full.

it was nice. although i had to laugh at my breakfast (got a hot breakfast) metal fork, metal spoon, plastic knife...dude, i could do a LOT more damage with a metal fork than i could a dull butter knife....but so many of the security changes were knee jerk and made no real sense...nto that many afterwards make much sense either.

seatac was easily navigated. moods were muted of course, but life was going on.

i didn't experience a full plane until my last leg, denver to KC, and even then i think they'd switched to a smaller plane

it was odd but it was also one of my more pleasant flight experiences ever

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by milkyway View Post
          I have a question about the Ren hotel.
          What's the latest you can check-in?
          I checked the website but it says:
          Check-in: 3:00 pm
          Check-out: 12:00 pm

Uhm LOL help

I'd arrive Friday evening (kinda late)
          finally a question i can answer!!! lol..

officially.. check in begins at 3:00pm.. you can sometimes check in earlier if rooms are available (vacant and ready aka clean).. as to checking in later, if you have put a credit card down to hold the reservation, you can check in as late as you'd like.. you do not need to call and inform the hotel of a late arrival.. depending on the hotel, you can check in as late as the next day.. of course you will be charged for the night you didn't stay, either as a night on your stay or as a seperate charge called a GNS..(guaranteed no show)..

now to confuse things, a credit card guarantee does not in fact guarantee you a room at any hotel... if said hotel overbooks, you can be 'walked' to another hotel... in the states, if you are walked, most chains will pay for the first night, one phone call (to inform others of your change in hotel) and travel costs (taxi).. not sure if the same rules apply elsewhere.. if you know it will be a busy night or the hotel is booked completely, then you should call and confirm the reservation.. when you do, ask that they put a note on there that you will definitely be arriving.. unless the hotel is grossly overbooked, this will almost guarantee you a room over someone who has not called to confirm...

also, check out time is never official either.. anyone can request a late check out anytime... unless there is a large group coming in, you can easily get an hour or two added to the check out time.. sometimes, if the hotel is slow or in need of extra revenue, you can check out as late as 6 or 7 pm.... this may be free or it may incure a 'day rate' charge which is a partial charge... this assumes they have evening staff in housekeeping to clean the room after you leave, making the room re-sell-able.. of course, every hotel is different on this one..

i've had people call and say they will be a late check in.. when you ask what time they are arriving, they say 5pm... that is not late.. 2 am is late.. 5 pm is early.. lol..

~bikerchic1977 *who pretends she is a manager with marriott in real life*

btw.. if you ever need to cancel a reservation after the cancellation time, there is a way to do it without getting charged 99% of the time.. call and ask the reservation be changed to another date and ask if there is a penalty.. if there is no penalty, change the dates, agree to any rate changes and be nice.. then just cancel the reservation the next day...

example.. ur reservation is for monday night.. there is a 6pm day of cancellation policy (you have until 6pm the day of arrival to cancel) and you've realized at 8pm that you're not going to need the reservation.. call and change the arrival date to wednesday night.. then on tuesday call and cancel.. you are offically cancelling before their policy standards because the reservation is now for wednesday night... just don't use this trick at my hotel.. i'll find you.. lol..
          Last edited by bikerchic1977; 25 January 2009, 08:01 PM. Reason: adding a tip... ;0)

Comment

dude, i could do a LOT more damage with a metal fork than i could a dull butter knife....

Uh, guys... don't piss off Sky!

But yeah, I know what you mean. Weird as policy.

Originally posted by bikerchic1977 View Post
            btw.. if you ever need to cancel a reservation after the cancellation time, there is a way to do it without getting charged 99% of the time.. call and ask the reservation be changed to another date and ask if there is a penalty.. if there is no penalty, change the dates, agree to any rate changes and be nice.. then just cancel the reservation the next day...
            Woah... brilliant tip! Thanks!
            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
              Woah... brilliant tip! Thanks!
              And so sneaky!!
              sigpic

Comment

291 Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                  You probably did mention it but I'm old and forgetful! Not really disappointed, just thought I'd like to be there for the historic event. You know, kind of like the millions who went to President Obama's inauguration!
                  Would you like me to have a friend take a picture??? Such an historic event and I'm sure to be out of my mind for the bulk of it!
                  Uhm LOL help
                  I love the late check out time...most hotels here have a check out time of 10am.
                  sometimes the key is, the person that's paying needs to be first.
                  or the person whose name is on the reservation needs to be first.
                  EH-T...race ya!!!
                  for example, if Sue reserved a room for two and I arrived first, i was SOL until Sue got there (a non issue since we met up and flew on the same plane)
                  but if i make reservations and put both names on it then each person as autonomous. meaning that both can get keys and it doesn't matter who is first.
                  When i made the reservations for AT3 i made sure that sue's name was on the room, which might have been a good thing since, due to weather, i came >< to missing my flight from chicago to heathrow.
                  So, i'd suggest, if you're rooming with someone, make sure the hotel knows the names of both parties and that you may be arriving separately. then there shouldn't be any 'i'm sorry ms.......but the room is in Ms Someone ele's name and we can't give you a key without her permission'
                  they're used to people rooming, but they also have to protect the privacy of their guests, so they're balancing a lot.
                  So...I booked the room before I knew who my roomie was going to be...can I email them and ask them to put EH-T's name on the reservation too??
                  I nodded.
                  quite the experience
                  I think I would have gotten off the plane...wind and planes are not exactly a good match...especially stormy winds!!
                  Originally posted by donamac View Post
                  I despise O'Hare as I always have bad luck there. The worst was flying back to Seattle from NYC when I had to get from B-3 to F-8 which requires going to a lower level (or higher) and on those long moving paths like at Heathrow which are supposed to make things easier. The problem started when I visited a loo and forgot my handbag with my ticket and all my ID and money!! I discovered it rather quickly but it was gone when I got back there. To make matters worse, I had a really bad back and hip and could not walk without pain. I went to the customer service immediately but they were NOT helpful--one of the women there asked me, "what do you want ME to do?" Another one said to find a cop. "Where" I asked. They didn't know. I mean, customer service?...NOT! By this time I had missed my flight and I was feeling quite ill. A cop did come along on a golf cart who gave me a ride to see if it had been turned in at several different stations. It hadn't, so he suggested I go to F-8 and see if it was there. He couldn't take me on the cart because of the escalator so I had to walk (limp) and it wasn't there. I was practically in tears. Finally one of the guys handing out boarding passes took pity on me and told me to sit there while he traipsed all over and found it finally at B-3, the first place I had asked!!!
                  He ran all the way back just in time to get me on the next flight, bless him! When we got to Seattle I couldn't get out of my seat--needed help as my back had about given up. The next day I was in the hospital having an MRI and surgery to remove a cyst from me spine. Not fun, but the pain was instantly gone. I avoid O'Hare now if I possibly can.
                  donamac
                  Now that's just scary...and painful!!
                  officially.. check in begins at 3:00pm.. you can sometimes check in earlier if rooms are available (vacant and ready aka clean).. as to checking in later, if you have put a credit card down to hold the reservation, you can check in as late as you'd like.. you do not need to call and inform the hotel of a late arrival.. depending on the hotel, you can check in as late as the next day.. of course you will be charged for the night you didn't stay, either as a night on your stay or as a seperate charge called a GNS..(guaranteed no show)..

now to confuse things, a credit card guarantee does not in fact guarantee you a room at any hotel...
                  Spoiler:
                  if said hotel overbooks, you can be 'walked' to another hotel... in the states, if you are walked, most chains will pay for the first night, one phone call (to inform others of your change in hotel) and travel costs (taxi).. not sure if the same rules apply elsewhere.. if you know it will be a busy night or the hotel is booked completely, then you should call and confirm the reservation.. when you do, ask that they put a note on there that you will definitely be arriving.. unless the hotel is grossly overbooked, this will almost guarantee you a room over someone who has not called to confirm...

Spoiler:

also, check out time is never official either.. anyone can request a late check out anytime... unless there is a large group coming in, you can easily get an hour or two added to the check out time.. sometimes, if the hotel is slow or in need of extra revenue, you can check out as late as 6 or 7 pm.... this may be free or it may incure a 'day rate' charge which is a partial charge... this assumes they have evening staff in housekeeping to clean the room after you leave, making the room re-sell-able.. of course, every hotel is different on this one..

i've had people call and say they will be a late check in.. when you ask what time they are arriving, they say 5pm... that is not late.. 2 am is late.. 5 pm is early.. lol..

example.. ur reservation is for monday night.. there is a 6pm day of cancellation policy (you have until 6pm the day of arrival to cancel) and you've realized at 8pm that you're not going to need the reservation.. call and change the arrival date to wednesday night.. then on tuesday call and cancel.. you are offically cancelling before their policy standards because the reservation is now for wednesday night... just don't use this trick at my hotel.. i'll find you.. lol..
                  Thank you for the tip..but have to ask about the credit card thingy...I made a booking for a room at the Ren and gave them my credit card details for security...does that mean that I'm still not guaranteed a room?? What can I do to secure the room??

All these stories about travel experiences...OMG!! I was meant to be traveling on my own to Germany before heading off to the UK but as of yesterday, I'll be heading to Germany on the 21st of October with my mum and two brothers. They'll only be staying there for a week...then I'll be on my ownsome! Yay!! But I wanted to fly direct to Frankfurt...non stop...looks like I'll be stopping off in Dubai for 4 hours though...then straight on to Dusseldorf. As for getting home...I have no idea at this point!!
                  I can't wait for AT4!!
                  "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I think I would have gotten off the plane...wind and planes are not exactly a good match...especially stormy winds!!
                    we were on the tarmac, lined up, waiting for the all clear to depart. there was no getting off the plane

and if we'd have gone back to the terminal, we'd have lost our place in line, so i was cool with it.

and had the worst happened, hey it was the airline's idea to put us there, i'd let them take care of any issues

sigpic

Comment

now to confuse things, a credit card guarantee does not in fact guarantee you a room at any hotel... if said hotel overbooks, you can be 'walked' to another hotel... in the states, if you are walked, most chains will pay for the first night, one phone call (to inform others of your change in hotel) and travel costs (taxi).. not sure if the same rules apply elsewhere.. if you know it will be a busy night or the hotel is booked completely, then you should call and confirm the reservation.. when you do, ask that they put a note on there that you will definitely be arriving.. unless the hotel is grossly overbooked, this will almost guarantee you a room over someone who has not called to confirm...

WOW! LOL Thanks!

I also emailed the hotel. They told me you can request a late check in and both roommates can check in at a different time
                      * Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, "What! You too? I thought I was the only one!" *
                      ~ C.S. Lewis, British novelist ~

Comment

Uhm LOL help

Check-in is definitely flexible. Just give them a heads up. I my case, I arrived Friday morning, which was night my time. I requested an early check-in. They had no problem and let me check in around 8:00 a.m. or so. It was wonderful and gave me a chance to get some sleep.

Originally posted by Chelle DB;9642011[QUOTE
                        ]Would you like me to have a friend take a picture??? Such an historic event and I'm sure to be out of my mind for the bulk of it! .
                        Oh, please do.

EH-T...race ya!!!

So...I booked the room before I knew who my roomie was going to be...can I email them and ask them to put EH-T's name on the reservation too??
                        Why don't we, just to be safe. I haven't booked a flight yet so no idea who'll be there first.
                        Last edited by EH-T; 27 January 2009, 07:43 AM.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                          Thank you for the tip..but have to ask about the credit card thingy...I made a booking for a room at the Ren and gave them my credit card details for security...does that mean that I'm still not guaranteed a room?? What can I do to secure the room??
                          i'm sure u'll be fine... after all they wouldn't want to upset the hords of amanda fans by not letting you stay with us.. we're a very nice, charitable, peaceful group.. unless you send chelle to another hotel.. lol..

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                            Why don't we, just to be safe. I haven't booked a flight yet so no idea who'll be there first.
                            Ok...I'll contact them later this week...it's way too hot to do anything much right now...flamin' heatwaves...sheesh!!
                            i'm sure u'll be fine... after all they wouldn't want to upset the hords of amanda fans by not letting you stay with us.. we're a very nice, charitable, peaceful group.. unless you send chelle to another hotel.. lol..
                            And if that doesn't convince them.....
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Hello all

After going to my first convention this past summer I have become addicted and so when I heard about this event, I put my name on their waiting list. Totally unexpectedly, I was contacted this a.m. that tickets are available.

I was wondering if anyone knows the cancellation/ticket transfer policy of Gabit? Sorry if this question has been asked and answered previously and thanks for any info you can give me.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to x stargatergirl x for the perfect sig!

Comment

if you got a message from one of the G4 about getting a ticket, i'd imagine that they'd tell you what you need to do.

Your best chance of getting an answer would be to e-mail them. That way you'll get an official answer rather than our best guesses

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X