GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
    When I was there last May, we only went to either of the two pubs in the area. You ordered at the counter and picked your food up there as well. You didnt sit down and wait for a server to come to your table like we do in teh States. So, no servers means no tips left.
    That's the way some pubs work.
    Sometimes you order at the bar and they bring it to your table.

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
    Frommers Online Travel Guide

Taxes & Tipping -- All restaurants and cafes are required to display the prices of their food and drink in a place visible from outside. Charges for service, as well as any minimums or cover charges, must also be made clear. The prices shown must include 17.5% VAT. Most restaurants add a 10% to 15% service charge to your bill, but check to make sure. If nothing has been added, leave a 10% to 15% tip. It is not considered rude to tip, so feel free to leave something extra if service was good.
    That needs to be updated. VAT in the UK has been 15% since mid-December.

VAT is the equivalent to GST, local sales tax, or whatever you want to call it, and is the same all over the country. Unlike in the US and Canada, all retail prices shown have to include it. It's not added at the checkout.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
      Well I got an e-mail saying i could pay for my second ticket, I had some kind of failure... I am not sure what it means, but for me it makes life atm really hard.
      Spoiler:

since last night my granny passed away... And while I knew she was in hospital, she was just there for some test and stuff...
      I really don't like hospitals, they don't seem to make people better at all.

I hope I still can pay for my tickets today because I don't think the next week I'll be in any state. I already feel horrible today... I don't wanna know how I'll feel next few days...Or how I'll react on anything that doesn't work out.

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news....
      *keeping you in my thoughts and prayers....*
      sigpic
      awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
        That's the way some pubs work.
        Sometimes you order at the bar and they bring it to your table.

That needs to be updated. VAT in the UK has been 15% since mid-December.

VAT is the equivalent to GST, local sales tax, or whatever you want to call it, and is the same all over the country. Unlike in the US and Canada, all retail prices shown have to include it. It's not added at the checkout.
        LOL, yea, we (Canadians) get pretty good at calculating percentages in our heads
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          LOL, yea, we (Canadians) get pretty good at calculating percentages in our heads
          Well, as some things are exempt from VAT, it saves us from having to know which are and which aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
            LOL - good roomie! *bounce*
            Although I'm sure the theoretical jello could be shared amongst other theoretical fridges in order to have some room for other theoretical treats requiring refridgeration.... I belive there's been at least 2 other theoretical fridge spaces offered out thus far
            Sweet action!
            And theoretical Jello shots at that too
            I'm so bad....

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
            I will lone my theoretical fridge too.
            Lol
            *squee*

I'm so excited for Jello
            sigpic
            awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

A note of reassurrance

The hotel code is being sent out by Kay to people on their confirmation emails. So please don't worry. You will get the code with your confirmation email as some have already said. So if you have a ticket, you get the code. It's that simple.

If you are having problems paying, and I am watching the Reg emails and can see that some are because of varying things relating to banks and cards etc, don't panic. We are a patient lot in the G4. Kay will help you through the problem and suggest solutions and your ticket is held while things are progressing. So again, don't worry.

Cocktail party allocations haven't even been looked at yet. We need to get all the Registrations sorted first and payment problems dealt with before we sit down and look at who asked for cocktail party tickets etc and where people are on the list. I suspect it will be towards the end of next week before we are in a position to start allocating CP tickets and a little after that to send out the confirmations of allocations. So *please* be patient. We do things methodically.

Julia
              G4
              To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                Quick question/suggestion.

I have a friend who is going to AT4 this year and is in need of a roommate. I told her about this site, and in particular this thread, as there are I think some who might yet be looking. She might pop in here or not, not sure.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to set up a list of those needing roommates here to make things easier? We could just list names and let them do the PM/email thing afterwards in private between themselves.

*squeeeeeeezzzzzesss Eve*
                Try my good friend Chris' com on lj.

http://community.livejournal.com/at_in_london/profile

We've already got a few members and could do with more. There a post a few days ago with a form requesting roomies

Sam
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                  So, we won't see you in Chicago?
                  Not this year I'm afraid but maybe some future time.

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
                  Spoiler:

since last night my granny passed away... And while I knew she was in hospital, she was just there for some test and stuff...
                  I really don't like hospitals, they don't seem to make people better at all.

I hope I still can pay for my tickets today because I don't think the next week I'll be in any state. I already feel horrible today... I don't wanna know how I'll feel next few days...Or how I'll react on anything that doesn't work out.
                  (((Eve))). Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by sammyjayne View Post
                    Try my good friend Chris' com on lj.

http://community.livejournal.com/at_in_london/profile

We've already got a few members and could do with more. There a post a few days ago with a form requesting roomies

Sam
                    Ah yes! I joined the group days ago, but totally forgot about it. My friend is not too computer savvy so I may just put her name on the list myself as she has asked me to take the reins on this anyway. I guess she looked for a roomie for April's Creation event but didnt have any luck and went ahead and booked her room for herself alone. She'll be happy to know she's among friends who are looking for someone to room share like she is for AT4 now. Thanks!

Comment

I've put Julia's speech from the At3 closing ceremony on my ipod. I watch/listen to it on the train each morning to remind myself not to spend money and to put myself in a general good mood.
                      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                        If you are having problems paying, and I am watching the Reg emails and can see that some are because of varying things relating to banks and cards etc, don't panic. We are a patient lot in the G4.
                        ROFL, way more patient than some of the attendee-wannabees.

Comment

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
                          An out door pool... at heathrow, In england... in November.

You lot are nuts
                          Haven't you ever heard of the "Polar Bear Club", Becks???
                          Welcome to MY life!

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSamFan View Post
                            Haven't you ever heard of the "Polar Bear Club", Becks???
                            Hey, hey, penguins are perfectly capable of braving the cold.
                            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

308 Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

gah...got my email yesterday from Mumsey on the go ahead to finally pay for my portion of the tickets (of 3 ordered). When I imputed all the info and pressed send, it came back with a fraud alert. I had alerted my bank that last Saturday I would be making a major overseas purchase and to note it on my account, but not for today. *sigh* Now I'm just twiddling my fingers impatiently waiting for this part of the world to wake up so I can once again call the bank, have them note my account and do the repayment thing all over again. I hate being patient. blah.

Comment

Working...
                                X