X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    here it is

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=11335

hotel codes to come, PROBABLY by the end of the month (extrapolating julia's ' next ten days' and the current date) - note that the timeframe is my guess, not fact
    The hotel code has been sent out or at least some of the emails, they are possibly working through them all. Or hopefully more people have received the email by now.

My email came through on the 6th and was titled AT4 Registration Acknowledgement and Hotel Information. I'd suggest people check their spam filters or wait a few more days to see if it comes through.

I wouldn't worry though as I don't recall the hotel getting booked out before?
    sigpic

Comment

309 Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well I got an e-mail saying i could pay for my second ticket, I had some kind of failure... I am not sure what it means, but for me it makes life atm really hard.
        Spoiler:

since last night my granny passed away... And while I knew she was in hospital, she was just there for some test and stuff...
        I really don't like hospitals, they don't seem to make people better at all.

I hope I still can pay for my tickets today because I don't think the next week I'll be in any state. I already feel horrible today... I don't wanna know how I'll feel next few days...Or how I'll react on anything that doesn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
          When I was there last May, we only went to either of the two pubs in the area. You ordered at the counter and picked your food up there as well. You didnt sit down and wait for a server to come to your table like we do in teh States. So, no servers means no tips left.

Oh and when you order, dont jump for joy too much when you see the price for a full meal. I mean 8 pounds might seem wonderfully cheap for a dinner, but only in the US. Double every price you see and you'll correctly get what your paying in dollars. Hence why going overseas is so dang expensive right now.

I'd suggest making sure your room has a frig and picking up some snacks to stash for the times when you have the munchies or when lunch rolls around. Save your money for dinner. Breakfast, if you get in on the hotel discount provided through Gabit, will be complimentary which is very nice.
          And to build on Cel's post, it is good to buy your favorite (non-perishable, non-squishable) snacks before you leave home and bring them with you, if you have room in your checked or carry-on (hand) luggage. (*grins* I know I usually don't travel without some mini-snack packs of M&M's, my fav chocolate chip cookies, and a bag of trail mix as my roomies can attest to!)

As others've said, yeah, at face value the prices aren't any different than the States (especially if you live in larger cities or their close-in metro areas), so while on the one hand you shouldn't obsess that everything's costing you X-amount of dollars more, my suggestion would be that you budget meals (or anything to do with the time you're in the UK really) into your trip budget at twice the cost of what you'd normally expect to pay. That way you'll come out ahead of the trip and/or have some money set aside for emergencies.

Here's my fav site for checking exchange rates: http://www.xe.com/ Rate is 1 pound to 1.50 US dollars this morning, but was 1 to 1.45 on Saturday. Expect it to bounce up and down the next 9 months. But this rate is still better than AT2 (1:1.80 the day I converted cash at the airport) or AT3 (1:2.05).

I remember the Pheasant pub was in the area and did have a sit-down part and reasonable prices. (And fish and chips where the fish was a large as rack of ribs in the US!) The server must've loved the group of us who went over that last night - we all wanted to get rid of our small change 'cause we knew the money exchangers wouldn't do the small stuff..... yeah the tip was more than we shoulda gave, but hey, we didn't have to bring back home currency we couldn't do anything with!
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
            Well I got an e-mail saying i could pay for my second ticket, I had some kind of failure... I am not sure what it means, but for me it makes life atm really hard.
            Spoiler:

since last night my granny passed away... And while I knew she was in hospital, she was just there for some test and stuff...

I hope I still can pay for my tickets today because I don't think the next week I'll be in any state. I already feel horrible today... I don't wanna know how I'll feel next few days...Or how I'll react on anything that doesn't work out.
            e-mail mumsy and let her know.

they may be able to accomodate you
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

(((Eve))) I'm so sorry to hear about your gran.

As to the payment problem I wouldn't stress just yet. Su is having the same problem paying for the 2nd ticket with the payment link sent by Gabit. She enters her info and after pressing submit, it fails. She has sent off an email so hopefully it can be resolved quickly.

It would seem that those who are receiving the hotel code and confirmation in an email are those whose payments are now okay and sorted which makes sense.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
                Antoa, Cel and tsaxlady... Thank you very much. Extremely helpful!

Lol, and the theoretical fridge may be used for theoretical jello
                LOL - good roomie! *bounce*
                Although I'm sure the theoretical jello could be shared amongst other theoretical fridges in order to have some room for other theoretical treats requiring refridgeration.... I belive there's been at least 2 other theoretical fridge spaces offered out thus far

Spoiler:

(((((Eve)))))
                Just keep breathing hun, things will work out.
                ***more hugs***
                ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                ames on facebook
                ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

I'll more than likely be getting a room for the Saturday night so can volunteer the mini bar space!
                  sigpic

Comment

Eve, just an update. Mumsey got back to Su. The bank was afraid of fraud and was suspicious of the billing address. Mumsey talked to the bank and the payment went through successfully. So don't worry it will eventually get sorted, just make sure you let her know.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
                      Eve, just an update. Mumsey got back to Su. The bank was afraid of fraud and was suspicious of the billing address. Mumsey talked to the bank and the payment went through successfully. So don't worry it will eventually get sorted, just make sure you let her know.
                      Yeah I just got a mail too, thanks for letting me know anyway!

And thanks everyone for the prayers and stuff, they give me strength!

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                        And to build on Cel's post, it is good to buy your favorite (non-perishable, non-squishable) snacks before you leave home and bring them with you, if you have room in your checked or carry-on (hand) luggage. (*grins* I know I usually don't travel without some mini-snack packs of M&M's, my fav chocolate chip cookies, and a bag of trail mix as my roomies can attest to!)
                        And don't forget Ben enjoyed them too

*Ben being the mouse at the Toronto hostel we stayed at*
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Eve, I'm so sorry to hear about your Gran. I'm only 2 weeks into it myself, but if you want to talk you know where to find me.

*hugs*
                          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Quick question/suggestion.

I have a friend who is going to AT4 this year and is in need of a roommate. I told her about this site, and in particular this thread, as there are I think some who might yet be looking. She might pop in here or not, not sure.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to set up a list of those needing roommates here to make things easier? We could just list names and let them do the PM/email thing afterwards in private between themselves.

*squeeeeeeezzzzzesss Eve*

Comment

*eve and chelle*

Cel, that's a great idea. I'm currently talking with my "roomie" about whether it's really the best idea or not to share a room. After AT3, I'm more than a little aware of how much things can change in 11 months.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Spoiler:

((((Eve))))

I'm so sorry *sends love and hugs* and keeping you and your family in my prayers. *hugs tight*

I will lone my theoretical fridge too. If I can ever get the rooms booked! *is frustrated with the Ren* ah well it will work out OK...I hope.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Working...
                                X