GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
    Uhm...you guys aren't trying to scare us newbies from attending are you???

Don't worry about it. Make sure you're rested as much as you can be beforehand, don't stress and eat well while you're there. Vit C or multi vits while you're attending won't hurt and yes, wash your hands often.

Strangely I don't get con crud at the AT events or after them, but do whenever I've attended other cons as an attendee.

I think, because so much depends on what I do at our events, I've got to stay healthy whatever, so my body just says, "hey you've got to be well through this eight day period" and it just does. The adrenalin is extremely high, I don't sleep - ask Becky (!) - and I'm virtually force fed by staff. The only thing I *have* to take and one of the staff always reminds me, is my blood pressure medication. My body kind of goes into "survival" mode over that whole eight days and keeps me going until I finish.

Don't worry about it. Although a lot of people do get sick after conventions, a lot don't. My hubbie has accompanied me to every single convention I've attended since 2000 and he hasn't been sick once not even when I succumbed.

Julia
    G4
    To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
      *packs camera*
      You better.

My camera skills are no better than my father's *points to sig*

Comment

Alcohol is a great killer of germs especially Magners Irish Cider.

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
          *snips strategically*

Strangely I don't get con crud at the AT events or after them, but do whenever I've attended other cons as an attendee.

I think, because so much depends on what I do at our events, I've got to stay healthy whatever, so my body just says, "hey you've got to be well through this eight day period" and it just does.

Julia
          G4
          Hehe, so, AT-week it is??

And more serious: I didn't get sick after the con. Slight case of the post-con-depression, but nothing else.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
            Hehe, so, AT-week it is??

LOL! Well you guys might only spend the three days at the convention plus your departure day. For us plus our Staff it's a good eight days or more spent there full on preparing for and then disassembling after the Event. So yes, I guess for us it is an AT-week!

Julia
            G4
            To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
              I'm serious (well...as serious as I ever am). A well thought out attack on a hotel breakfast can supply you with enough food to last all day.
              Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
              A "well though out attack on a hotel breakfast"? Does that translate to "eat everything they have to offer"?

I like to start out with some cereal, go on to bacon and eggs, some hash browns, then a yoghurt and some fruit.
              I love hotel breakfast!

I think it translates to take a big bag and take advantage of the things you can pack away?
              This is handy especially if they have prepackaged muffins....
              I think they caught on with the cereal though.... I've started seeing it in those big plastic containers....

*thinking that what I just typed sounded just a tad bit on the dorky side....*
              sigpic
              awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

So am I the only one who felt fine during and after the convention? Must be all that clean living. Not surprising some got sick given all the hugging going on.

Don't worry Chelle, I was fine, I'm sure you will be too. Just take care of yourself as has been suggested.

As for the water, generally, regardless of how safe the drinking water is it is a good idea not to drink the local water. Your body adapts to the water you are used to and any change can cause problems until your body adapts.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                  Don't worry about it. Make sure you're rested as much as you can be beforehand, don't stress and eat well while you're there. Vit C or multi vits while you're attending won't hurt and yes, wash your hands often.
                  Julia
                  G4
                  Worry?? Me??? Never!!
                  Well rested may be a challenge and eating well is probably gonna be a cinch...but the stress part??....working on it!!!
                  Do you guys have the antibacterial hand wash over there?? We have these little bottles of hand wash...in the form of a gel...that you basically squirt on your hands and it dries really quick but it cleans your skin...it's like the zero-bac we have at work...it disinfects your skin better than soap!! I'll see if I can bring that over with me!! You don't need to use water...it's really very convenient when travelling...you know if you have to use a public restroom and there's no soap...just use the hand wash!!
                  Originally posted by AmberMoon View Post
                  Alcohol is a great killer of germs especially Magners Irish Cider.
                  http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...neous/3369.jpg
                  Oh yeah...now we're talking!!!
                  "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                    So am I the only one who felt fine during and after the convention? Must be all that clean living. Not surprising some got sick given all the hugging going on.

Don't worry Chelle, I was fine, I'm sure you will be too. Just take care of yourself as has been suggested.

As for the water, generally, regardless of how safe the drinking water is it is a good idea not to drink the local water. Your body adapts to the water you are used to and any change can cause problems until your body adapts.
                    That's why they make beer.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                      That's why they make beer.
                      Yep I was fine during the con, and the week afterward....obviously my roommate didn't have enough...errr.....medication
                      sigpic

Comment

Chelle, it couldnt hurt whatsoever bringing a small pocket-sized bottle of antibacterial hand wash. They do come in handy and I normally stick one in my pocket for work.

No matter what though, you'll have a blast! Don't stress it too much. Just come prepared and even if you come down with a cold or whatever when you get back home, I know you'll think it was worth it. I know I did. Though I hate being sick, I wouldnt trade that weekend last May for anything.

Think of it like this: Colds last a week. Post-con blues maybe a few weeks depending. Memories and the friends you made are forever though.

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                          Yep I was fine during the con, and the week afterward....obviously my roommate didn't have enough...errr.....medication
                          I lost sleep due to roommate and beer drinking friend
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                            Chelle, it couldnt hurt whatsoever bringing a small pocket-sized bottle of antibacterial hand wash. They do come in handy and I normally stick one in my pocket for work.
                            No matter what though, you'll have a blast! Don't stress it too much. Just come prepared and even if you come down with a cold or whatever when you get back home, I know you'll think it was worth it. I know I did. Though I hate being sick, I wouldnt trade that weekend last May for anything.
                            Think of it like this: Colds last a week. Post-con blues maybe a few weeks depending. Memories and the friends you made are forever though.
                            Of that I'm sure!! If Armageddon is anything to go by...I'm really looking forward to AT4...the whole weekend was made all the more wonderful by the people I was with. I opened my home to 4 GW'ers and we had a ball...except we were too pooped to pop by the end of each day...so I know that I'm going to be needing lots of sleep...well at least 5 hours!!
                            It's gonna be awesome fun...I can't wait!!!
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
                              You better.

My camera skills are no better than my father's *points to sig*
                              LOL. Doncha worry...I know from personal experience that the best photo of the weekend will be with AT. And John is a fabulous photographer.

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                              I didn't get sick after the con. Slight case of the post-con-depression, but nothing else.
                              I got a bad cough not even 24 hours after I arrived...and I couldn't kick it for weeks.

And the con blues...man oh man...Usually I'm bummed the cons are over...but I have never been so emotionally torn up as I was after AT3. I just wanted to go home and cry into my pillow.

Alas, I had another week in Europe.

It was Amanda, the friends I got to meet for the first time (like you, Annelies *hugs*) and had to leave behind, and the fact that I'd wanted to go to London since I was a child.

*sigh*

It was all very hard to let go of.
                              Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                                Do you guys have the antibacterial hand wash over there?? We have these little bottles of hand wash...in the form of a gel...that you basically squirt on your hands and it dries really quick but it cleans your skin...it's like the zero-bac we have at work...it disinfects your skin better than soap!! I'll see if I can bring that over with me!! You don't need to use water...it's really very convenient when travelling...you know if you have to use a public restroom and there's no soap...just use the hand wash!!
                                Yeah, we sell those over here. You can have sprays or pump action foam all in nice handy spray bottles that fit into your handbag. After hearing horror stories of how everyone I'd heard off got ill going to Egypt, me and 3 friends went and we were cleaning our hands often with the stuff and not one of us had a weird tummy or cold etc So they are a wonderful idea and you don't have to rush off to the toilets to wash your hands!

Tracy

Comment

Working...
                                X