Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
    O you should. It was fun.

I didn't know who she was, and I still don't know what the books are she has written. But she had fun stories to tell
    yea she has the best stories. real fun to listen too!
    A really wonderful person

Comment

Does anyone know how much the tickets are gonna cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Elisabeth View Post
        Does anyone know how much the tickets are gonna cost?
        Nope, it's not announced yet. Last year, normal passes were 169 GBP, charmed ones were 254 GPB (I think).
        sigpic

Comment

169 British pounds = 292.6573 U.S. dollars
          254 British pounds = 439.8518 U.S. dollars, according to google.

Comment

bear in mind, the exchange rate changes from minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day, depending on how precise the bank you're using is being.

also, if you're in the us and use a us credit card, or even paypal, there will be a 'foreign transaction fee' attached to your purchase. Sometimes as high as 10% (it literally varies from card to card)

there's not much you can do about it, just be prepared when you see that on your bill

and, as icky as these amounts are for the yanks, folks the exchange rate has actually gotten a bit better. when we were there for AT3 it was literally 2 dollars = one pound. So that charmed ticket would have been 500 dollars for us.

nothing the G4 can do about it, just a matter of the economy of the various countries
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                bear in mind, the exchange rate changes from minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day, depending on how precise the bank you're using is being.

also, if you're in the us and use a us credit card, or even paypal, there will be a 'foreign transaction fee' attached to your purchase. Sometimes as high as 10% (it literally varies from card to card)

there's not much you can do about it, just be prepared when you see that on your bill

and, as icky as these amounts are for the yanks, folks the exchange rate has actually gotten a bit better. when we were there for AT3 it was literally 2 dollars = one pound. So that charmed ticket would have been 500 dollars for us.

nothing the G4 can do about it, just a matter of the economy of the various countries
                Gah don't remind me...that exchange rate ate my end of season bonus.

And the ticket is totally worth the price!
                sigpic
                Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                  Gah don't remind me...that exchange rate ate my end of season bonus.

And the ticket is totally worth the price!
                  *ish confused*

What exchange rate for you? Your only 2 hrs from London!

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                    *ish confused*

What exchange rate for you? Your only 2 hrs from London!
                    four hours

and I earned dollars up until the end of april....and got my end of season bonus in US dollars...then moved back here when the exchange rate was at its most eeeeevvviiiilllll.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                    My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Lol, I already have a fund set up just for "spending money" while I'm there....
                      That's not too crazy is it?
                      sigpic
                      awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

not crazy at all
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Considering that's the purpose of me getting a checking account (and a job, eventually ), nope!

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
                            Lol, I already have a fund set up just for "spending money" while I'm there....
                            That's not too crazy is it?
                            Nope! Not crazy and I highly approve. Be warned of two things though:

1. If your coming from the States, everything will be double in price. I wasnt too happy with this myself. Buying the tickets alone for AT3 took a big chunk of my savings.

2. Beyond what's happening in the hotel, there isnt much to see around the area. The Ren is practically next to the airport. There is only two decent pubs in the area, one which is a good 1/2 mile walk. There is a gas station on one corner where you can get snacks and whatnot, but no stores, outlets or anything touristy to do or see.

When I went in May, I took more than I should figuring there would be SOMETHING to do at night beyond eating and hopefully something fun to do in the area but alas, there was zilch.

So when talking spending money, take what you think you might spend at the Con alone. The dealers room and if your brave, the auction is a fun place to do such things and bring home some cool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                              Nope! Not crazy and I highly approve. Be warned of two things though:

1. If your coming from the States, everything will be double in price. I wasnt too happy with this myself. Buying the tickets alone for AT3 took a big chunk of my savings.

2. Beyond what's happening in the hotel, there isnt much to see around the area. The Ren is practically next to the airport. There is only two decent pubs in the area, one which is a good 1/2 mile walk. There is a gas station on one corner where you can get snacks and whatnot, but no stores, outlets or anything touristy to do or see.

When I went in May, I took more than I should figuring there would be SOMETHING to do at night beyond eating and hopefully something fun to do in the area but alas, there was zilch.

So when talking spending money, take what you think you might spend at the Con alone. The dealers room and if your brave, the auction is a fun place to do such things and bring home some cool stuff.
                              I knew everything would be double, I was kinda expecting that.... that's part of the reason I've already started saving... As far as cutting costs a bit, I was thinking that I would just see if anyone wanted to room together....
                              I was also thinking that I was going to see about renting a car to do some traveling, but I'm not sure yet... That way I wouldn't have to worry about if I wanted to go somewhere.... Roadtrips are soooo great!
                              As for the auction, I still think I'd be a bit nervous for that.... I decided when I went to Chicago that I was going to get a banner... so I picked out the one I wanted and asked them to auction it... Turns out I really wasn't the only one who wanted that particular banner.... and then made the slight mistake of jumping the price a little quickly.... I definately paid for the one that I wanted.... Wow that was a bit OT....
                              Anyways...
                              sigpic
                              awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
                                I knew everything would be double, I was kinda expecting that.... that's part of the reason I've already started saving... As far as cutting costs a bit, I was thinking that I would just see if anyone wanted to room together....
                                I was also thinking that I was going to see about renting a car to do some traveling, but I'm not sure yet... That way I wouldn't have to worry about if I wanted to go somewhere.... Roadtrips are soooo great!
                                As for the auction, I still think I'd be a bit nervous for that.... I decided when I went to Chicago that I was going to get a banner... so I picked out the one I wanted and asked them to auction it... Turns out I really wasn't the only one who wanted that particular banner.... and then made the slight mistake of jumping the price a little quickly.... I definately paid for the one that I wanted.... Wow that was a bit OT....
                                Anyways...
                                Cool auction story. I think this for some is the highlight of the weekend and lots of people get quite excited while there. Some of those prices are crazy expensive, but its all for a good cause. Next year I'll be amongst those crazies as I plan on bidding and hopefully bringing home a few things myself.

Roadtrip..yay! Ya gotta do it! I'm probably gonna do the hostel route (cos of the time of year AT4 takes place in) and do some major sightseeing around England before heading across to Belgium and then back to London for the con. Thats my loose plans as of now but its certainly something to get excited about.

Oh and I'm not sure how fast rooms at the Ren fill up at the reduced cost of the Con rate, but I've been thinking of booking my room as soon as info for it is available. Anyone know if this is wise or just jumping the gun a bit?

Comment

Working...
                                X