GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    One of the advantages of the cocktail party for me was the chance to "break the ice" since I was there on my own (before visiting family in France). It was a great chance to meet other fans in a small group. We had lots of time to visit and continued to meet off and on all weekend. Since it was my first con experience it was also, to be perfectly honest, a good introduction to the experience to know that con goers are "normal" (well, except maybe for Mandy and Jan ) because I didn't really know what to expect.

As I've said before, I think it helps those who are very nervous at meeting Amanda to do so the first time with a group of people.
    What, your encounter with me in the lobby didn't ease your mind?

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
      What, your encounter with me in the lobby didn't ease your mind?

Not since I only knew you as geeky Sam because you had dressed up at a previous con!

In truth, it did, but the topic above was the Cocktail Party. Meeting you and Vikitty right after registering was also a great ice breaker. Made me feel "at home" meeting fellow GWers from the Gabit thread. Meeting the folks at dinner just reinforced that. And you did seem normal except for impersonating a Canadian.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Not since I only knew you as geeky Sam because you had dressed up at a previous con!

In truth, it did, but the topic above was the Cocktail Party. Meeting you and Vikitty right after registering was also a great ice breaker. Made me feel "at home" meeting fellow GWers from the Gabit thread. Meeting the folks at dinner just reinforced that. And you did seem normal except for impersonating a Canadian.
        I was just wearing a Vancouver hoodie, not necessarily impersonating a Canadian. If people wanted to assume I was Canadian....

I love when you arrive and those initial encounters in the lobby - whether it's someone you know from a previous con or someone you just know from online and are meeting for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by SEREN LWCH (MAL) View Post

Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going away from the 13th-17th of October. (info for newbies: i get declared AWOL if I dont update the countdown LOL!).
          But that's just because you're so darn good at it! We miss you when you're gone....

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
          Tickets for AT4 will go on sale on Saturday 3rd January 2009.
          Registration will open at 15.30 hours GMT.

Further information including ticket prices will be available in due course. Please keep an eye on the website.

Julia, Becky, Kay & John
          The G4
          Thanks for the highly timely heads-up! Yay!!!

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
          You know that some of us get up at that time on a regular basis, don't you?
          Hey, some of us are already well into our workday at that point
          *begins trying to figure out how to get access to the internet from work without getting fired, as losing my job would be slighly detrimental to paying for said ticket...*
          ...pause to double-check date in q...
          *does lil happy dance because I'm fairly sure that I'm off that day as a lieu!!!*

<snippage>
          Not to mention the fact that by living there it is much easier/cheaper for you to see Amanda on a regular basis at the best convention going. (Starts thinking of reasons to convince the G4 to immigrate to Canada, like the economy: our banks are better. Football: our balls are bigger. Weather: snow can be fun (no, really)).
          LOL!!!
          Although tech our balls aren't bigger than theirs, persay - just a different shape (Oh my - that just sounds so very wrong ... sigh)

Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
          Oooh, That brings me to a question I have... How quickly do the charmed passes sell out? I was really looking to get one, but I didn't know if it was gonna come down to having HighSPeed internet... then I probably won't get one.... but if it's just a matter of being online right away, right when they go onsale, then I should be able to get one...
          *facepalm at random rambling....*
          So glad I'm not the only one who does the random rambling thing! *grin*
          I was trying to decide A) whether I can afford to go to AT4 (I'm definitely leaning towards the 'certain sacrifices WILL be made to make this happen' side of that debate), and B) whether to go wholehog for the charmed pass or ... yeah. See previous comment re: certain sacrifices. That'd def be one. I've heard however that there's tonnes of fun and bonding to be had outside the party as well though, so I'm looking forward to some of that! Let's face it - as I'm sure everyone who encountered me will remember, I can (and will) talk to anyone who lets me ...and for those who have yet to encounter ames in RL, um ... just look for the bouncy girl chatting pretty much non-stop. Usually with accompanying hand-motions. Chances are, you'll have found me! (Note: my accent has apparently reverted back to mostly Cdn, so I'll likely sound a wee bit different than last time ... but the bounce'll still be there!)

One of the advantages of the cocktail party for me was the chance to "break the ice" since I was there on my own (before visiting family in France). It was a great chance to meet other fans in a small group. We had lots of time to visit and continued to meet off and on all weekend. Since it was my first con experience it was also, to be perfectly honest, a good introduction to the experience to know that con goers are "normal" (well, except maybe for Mandy and Jan ) because I didn't really know what to expect.

As I've said before, I think it helps those who are very nervous at meeting Amanda to do so the first time with a group of people.
          'Normal'? And there's nowt wrong with Jandy ... much... *ducks* LOL
          (Have I mentioned how much I've missed everybody lately?)
          ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
          ames on facebook
          ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Thank you both!
            The Cocktail party sounds a bit like the Desert Party that Creation does, the bit about staying at your table and getting to chat with her for a few minutes.... It sounds fun, but if I can't get one of the Charmed passes that is okay too....
            I know that we won't have highspeed internet by then, but the hanging out at the con is really what I live for, so that should be fun too...
            I'm just excited that I'll be able to go, so whichever pass I can get I'll just be super happy with it....
            I've been to the dessert party at Creation's Vancouver con (March '07) and believe me when I tell you this is much better. You're not vying to talk over a couple hundred other congoer's voices in a big ballroom (and if your voice is soft like mine, that can be a big pain in the bottom to try to project over all that noise) and though I'm not saying the actors at the dessert party didn't want to get to know you, by the time they circulated through 20+ tables and it was getting on midnight... 'tain't the same! Here Amanda really does want to connect with you and hear what you have to say and she quite easily slips into (long) interesting conversations that send Julia into conniptions! (LOL! It's worth it to see how creative Julia can get in threatening and cajoling Amanda to 'get a move on!' from behind her back!) It's also a dress-up party which I think lends a bit to its 'specialness' and a proper sit-down dinner, and if you don't know your tablemates to start out with, you certainly will at the end of two hours!

I've been to the Cocktail party twice now. And believe me, there is hope even if you get on the wait list - I was on it the first time, when I went to AT2. I didn't buy my con ticket until at least a month after they went on sale and put my name on the wait list. I had a higher number, so I figured I was out of luck, but what was it - a month? two? before the con I got an e-mail from Julia or Becks asking me if I was still interested in the party ticket. (Of course I said I wasn't. Not! ) And so I went. Sat with rderoch and her mother and sister and another couple (and saw them all again this year) and a few others. And y'know what... I ended up with one of the "hot" seats next to Amanda that first year, so I was thrilled, both to hear I got a ticket and then the night of the party to find out where I was sitting!

And this past year got a ticket first time around (sat at that PC with baited breath I did that time) and sat at a table full of troublemaking Gabiteers nice friendly congoers. *hugs troublemates tablemates*
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
              LOL!!!
              Although tech our balls aren't bigger than theirs, persay - just a different shape (Oh my - that just sounds so very wrong ... sigh)
              hehe...so very wrong.

Ames, it was fantastic meeting you. I wouldnt call you bouncy and chatty so much as vivacious. People like you are a pleasure to meet...especially for the first time. I had such a fantastic time up in your room helping to make the blue jello. It was definitely one of the highlights of the weekend made all that more special by your friendliness and talk. I still love the vid I made that afternoon.

Comment

Ok..I'm going to try to do a good job for Mal...please don't beat me with the stick if my days don't run in accordance with yours...I can't help it if I live in the future!!
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                  I love when you arrive and those initial encounters in the lobby - whether it's someone you know from a previous con or someone you just know from online and are meeting for the first time.
                  That's always the best.... Meeting people face to face with who you've known for so long online...
                  The worst is when you have to leave the new friends you've made and you know it'll be a while before you see them again...
                  That buildup excitement is such a rush, the trip always seem to go soooo quickly...

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                  And this past year got a ticket first time around (sat at that PC with baited breath I did that time) and sat at a table full of troublemaking Gabiteers nice friendly congoers. *hugs troublemates tablemates*
                  *giggle* I look at it this way, if it's meant to be, I'll be able to go.... I *love* dressing nicely, so I just think it would be fun, however if it's not meant to be and I end up tagging along with one of the groups going out for drinks/dinner, that would be an absolute blast...
                  Last edited by ~Sarah~; 14 October 2008, 12:20 PM.
                  sigpic
                  awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                    Here Amanda really does want to connect with you and hear what you have to say and she quite easily slips into (long) interesting conversations that send Julia into conniptions! (LOL! It's worth it to see how creative Julia can get in threatening and cajoling Amanda to 'get a move on!' from behind her back!)

Glad I'm entertainment for some of you

<waves at Debs>

And a girl has to try....

Julia
                    G4
                    To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

So glad I'm not the only one who does the random rambling thing! *grin*
                      I was trying to decide A) whether I can afford to go to AT4 (I'm definitely leaning towards the 'certain sacrifices WILL be made to make this happen' side of that debate), and B) whether to go wholehog for the charmed pass or ... yeah. See previous comment re: certain sacrifices. That'd def be one. I've heard however that there's tonnes of fun and bonding to be had outside the party as well though, so I'm looking forward to some of that! Let's face it - as I'm sure everyone who encountered me will remember, I can (and will) talk to anyone who lets me ...and for those who have yet to encounter ames in RL, um ... just look for the bouncy girl chatting pretty much non-stop. Usually with accompanying hand-motions. Chances are, you'll have found me! (Note: my accent has apparently reverted back to mostly Cdn, so I'll likely sound a wee bit different than last time ... but the bounce'll still be there!)

Ames it was great to meet you at AT3 and I think being bouncy is requirement of going.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

I do believe Ames was a real highlight of the trip. *nods*
                        Jenni

Comment

*giggle* I look at it this way, if it's meant to be, I'll be able to go.... I *love* dressing nicely, so I just think it would be fun, however if it's not meant to be and I end up tagging along with one of the groups going out for drinks/dinner, that would be an absolute blast...
                          Hopefully it'll be meant to be this time. And like you said, either way, you definitely will have a great time hanging out with old and new friends.
                          Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                          Glad I'm entertainment for some of you

<waves at Debs>

And a girl has to try....

Julia
                          G4
                          *grins innocently*

And you succeed so wonderfully!

*waves back and sends virtual hug*
                          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                            hehe...so very wrong.

Ames, it was fantastic meeting you. I wouldnt call you bouncy and chatty so much as vivacious. People like you are a pleasure to meet...especially for the first time. I had such a fantastic time up in your room helping to make the blue jello. It was definitely one of the highlights of the weekend made all that more special by your friendliness and talk. I still love the vid I made that afternoon.
                            That was fun I love that video - man, I definitely had an accent back then!
                            I've been called quite a few things Cel, but I think vivacious is a new one - and I gladly accept it Thx! I'm def looking forward to seeing all the people I met there again - and many more too ... oh and making copious amounts of jello again, of course! Mmmmmm - bluey goodness...

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                            Ames it was great to meet you at AT3 and I think being bouncy is requirement of going.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                            I agree Julia - come to think of it, I'm fairly sure being bouncy was in the fine print of the tickets.... mine anyway!
                            Although considering how much chocolate and bluey goodness was consumed over the weekend, that might have had something to do with the general state of bounciness ... possibly ... *grin*

I'm getting bouncy again just thinking about it - imagine how infectious I'll be by the end of the countdown, eh? Wheeeeeee!!!
                            ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                            ames on facebook
                            ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Jenni...I love the new sig...very nice!!
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

That was fun I love that video - man, I definitely had an accent back then!
                                I've been called quite a few things Cel, but I think vivacious is a new one - and I gladly accept it Thx! I'm def looking forward to seeing all the people I met there again - and many more too ... oh and making copious amounts of jello again, of course! Mmmmmm - bluey goodness...
                                hehe...bouncy was just too ordinary a word for someone like yourself.

Oh and feel free to enlist me in the blue-jello roundup! I can raid every market around me before I leave though I think I may need to bring less clothes to fit it all in my luggage. Shouldnt be a problem though. I'm notorious for over packing anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X