GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    yeah, can't speak as to why they were taping it...or were they TAPING or just using the cameras to get the video feed onto the big screens?
    Maybe it was just that although I thought they did give us a warning about being recorded. Not sure why they'd do that if it was just to project on the big screen.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

It was taping because they use snippets in the collage at the end.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
        Maybe it was just that although I thought they did give us a warning about being recorded. Not sure why they'd do that if it was just to project on the big screen.
        I have no idea what the laws are in the UK but here in at least some states they are required to have some form of notice that people are being taped no matter what the purpose is. For instance you know those monitors set up as you walk into some retail stores....yep you'll also see written notice that you are on camera.

Not being at all technically inclined, I was basing my question on the fact that they were filming AT3 (and warned us in advance they were doing so, likely so rderoch, Mandy and JanSam would behave) so that is what I was actually wondering about.
        Hey now what have I done to warrant that?? *adjusts halo*

and no Nicky you don't need to answer that
        Last edited by JanSam; 09 September 2008, 02:01 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

In gatecon there is so much going on that the cameras were easy to ignore. But the atmosphere of Gabit is much more low key than gatecon
          Except when you win an auction item and Alex turns you and there's a camera 3 inches from your face.

"Oh!"

HEH
          Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
            Except when you win an auction item and Alex turns you and there's a camera 3 inches from your face.

"Oh!"

HEH
            Well at least I didn't have to worry about that, with the cost of the con, getting there and the exchange rate, I didn't bid on anything
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
              We don't have a national set amount...so each job is different. Mine gives you two weeks off (10 days) paid a year after you've worked there a year. We also have "bank" holidays (Memorial Day, Labor Day, Fourth of July, Verteran's Day, etc) and we get Christmas Day as well as Thanksgivign and the day after. I believe it's something like 9 paid holidays a year, at my job. I'd have to count...yes...9 holidays off, with an extra day for the day after Thanksgiving. So 10 paid days off in addition to your vacation time off.

But as I said, every job in America makes its own rules.

Then there is sick time, which also varies. I get 5 paid sick days a year, though if I use them I tend to take more than one day at a time, as "occurences" are counted against you. *rolls eyes*

So I get 5 paid sick days, 10 days holiday pay, and 15 days of vacation.

And if you work in the retail/food sector you don't even get many of those days off. The 'minor" (bank?) holidays many full-timers don't even get compensated extra for working. And my company just cut out the time and a half for working the medium sized holidays, though at least the full-timers still get holiday for them. Christmas and Thanksgiving we are closed and paid. Easter is a day off, no extra pay. Part-timers are just plain shafted all around.
              I get 3 weeks vacation, but it's 10 years to get there. And large blackouts around the holidays.

My sick days have been cut by 40% (and renamed personal time). All in all, they want to cut benefits as much as possible so the company saves money.

suse

suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Ooops, first I note I said AT4 in my post not AT3. Must have that on the brain already.

Not being at all technically inclined, I was basing my question on the fact that they were filming AT3 (and warned us in advance they were doing so, likely so rderoch, Mandy and JanSam would behave) so that is what I was actually wondering about. However, based on your answer it seems like they would have needed something more elaborate than what they had at AT3. I assume therefore they were taping it for other purposes.
                Didn't work.

there's a LOT that goes into making a video

first, equipment. Professional grade video cameras do NOT come cheap. Not to mention having the experience to use one. Then there's the time to tape everything, the time to go through it all and process it.

Then there's the very, VERY time consuming time of editing, not to mention editing cohesively. and then distributing it and duplicating it for distribution.

And ALL of this is contintent upon Amanda wishing to be video taped and having that extra bit of 'stress' added to what is supposed to be a relaxed weekend.

I work in the video field in real life, and sure, it COULD be done. But is all the time and cost worth it? Two video cameras, set up, two people to run them, the hours and HOURS and HOURS of video, distilling that down into something compact and cohesive. Getting permission and review of it all....it takes a long time.

and while i can't and won't speak for the G4 in any way, shape or form, taking on a video of AT4 would be a monumental task. For your 2 hour finished product, you'd probably end up with 40-80 hours of work to make it. and that's not counting the time it takes to replicate and mail out videos.

and, would you guys still feel like you were having fun having a camera tossed in your face all the time???? would you be comfortable and relaxed?

In gatecon there is so much going on that the cameras were easy to ignore. But the atmosphere of Gabit is much more low key than gatecon
                A girl can hope can't she? I'd volunteer my time for editing.

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                I have no idea what the laws are in the UK but here in at least some states they are required to have some form of notice that people are being taped no matter what the purpose is. For instance you know those monitors set up as you walk into some retail stores....yep you'll also see written notice that you are on camera.

Hey now what have I done to warrant that?? *adjusts halo*

and no Nicky you don't need to answer that
                Must be guilt by association. You were spotted in the lobby with us.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                Well at least I didn't have to worry about that, with the cost of the con, getting there and the exchange rate, I didn't bid on anything
                I feel your pain.
                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                Anon

Comment

This is semi-OT but lately I've been hoping AT4 will take place in one of the warmer months. I know I've said I thought it might be in September or October, but ever since I wasnt able to do my little backpacking holiday in England this year, I've still had it in mind to do it another time. Well, the thought has been niggling on me as of late to try and perhaps combine both into one thus saving on airfare and my holiday time from work. I've been looking into maybe visiting the Cotswold region and spending a good 3 or 4 days there wandering the countryside. It's only about a 2 hr trip out from London by bus/train and afterwards I'd head back and enjoy the fun of seeing all my friends and Amanda once again.

Comment

Happy Birthday Tracy!
                    sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday T!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday T!

Comment

Aww thanks guys, hopefully will see you all at AT4 in..............LOL!

Tx

Comment

*gives T evil glare* Ah I see your still a tease.

*Jan who should have posted birthday greeting with T and her cane*
                            sigpic

Comment

You know... in my usercp, the ad at the top was a Marriott and Renaissance add, offering a 20% discount if you made your booking before 22nd Sept. I thought it might be a sign. Or not.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                                You know... in my usercp, the ad at the top was a Marriott and Renaissance add, offering a 20% discount if you made your booking before 22nd Sept. I thought it might be a sign. Or not.
                                We can still hope Tracy....Still a couple days till the 22nd for you to get a discount If anybody is listening????? eh?
                                sigpic

otoole/Erin

Comment

Working...
                                X