GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
    If they do another Avalon at or around the time of AT4...I should be able to do it...I just need time and dates. But I won't hold my breath for that to happen!!
    Haha, no don't hold your breath. I think Thomasina mentioned "could be in 10 years" hehe.

Yeah sure ya betcha!!!!!
    Seeings how I'll be in the area anyways...I'm not sure when I'll get to the UK yet...hopefully on the Wednesday.
    Jenni...I thought it was better to do the touristy things before the weekend with Amanda...any way you can make it there say a day earlier???
    I agree, before the con is more fun. If people are interested and timing is right I would want to go a couple of days early to meet up with people and play tourist. Although if everyone is going to stay for the monday I would consider that.
    sigpic

Comment

Jenni...I thought it was better to do the touristy things before the weekend with Amanda...any way you can make it there say a day earlier???
      You're probably right, for my heart's sake. The only way I could do it would be to fly out Tues, arriving Wed...and maybe do it Thursday? I envy you...gaining a day...*glares*

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
      Hmmmmm........ this sounds scarily like my trip to San Diego, LOL.

As for Stonehenge... I really hope that week is half term or some sort of holiday for me, because I would love to go with you all to Salisbury. I used to work about a ten minute drive from Stonehenge (just outside Salisbury) and popped up to the henge every so often.

Down side being I'd see all my ex pupils there. LOL.

Would be mega fun with you there too!
      Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
        Haha, no don't hold your breath. I think Thomasina mentioned "could be in 10 years" hehe.
        I agree, before the con is more fun. If people are interested and timing is right I would want to go a couple of days early to meet up with people and play tourist. Although if everyone is going to stay for the monday I would consider that.
        Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
        You're probably right, for my heart's sake. The only way I could do it would be to fly out Tues, arriving Wed...and maybe do it Thursday? I envy you...gaining a day...*glares*
        Oh hey...10 years is doable!!!! Hubby did say not so long ago that I need not view this trip as a once in a lifetime...so who knows!!!
        I don't have to rush off home...I'm taking 5 weeks off next year to fit this holiday in...mind you I will be spending time with family in Germany so...I'll plan around you guys!!!
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Good GRIEF!

I won't get 5 weeks vacation until I've worked for the club 35 years.

I've worked there 9...and I have three. I will get 4 after I reach 13...
          Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
            Good GRIEF!
            I won't get 5 weeks vacation until I've worked for the club 35 years.
            I've worked there 9...and I have three. I will get 4 after I reach 13...
            Good grief right back at ya!!! How many days off do you guys get each year??? Surely you have a set amount of holiday time each year that you are entitled to?
            I think the way it works over here is that you get x amount of time off per hours you work. So when I say I get 5 weeks, I'm talking five of my working weeks...which is about 110 hours for me as I work 22 hours a week. I've already accumulated almost 150 hours over the last 2 years...mind you I have taken some time off for a holiday earlier this year and a few days here and there...and I will be taking 3 weeks off in October as hubby is taking us to Queensland for 8 days and then I have the convention in Melbourne for which I'm taking 3 days off for...so while it may sound like a huge amount of time it will all in all be less than 20 days off work, the remainder being my normal off time.
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

We don't have a national set amount...so each job is different. Mine gives you two weeks off (10 days) paid a year after you've worked there a year. We also have "bank" holidays (Memorial Day, Labor Day, Fourth of July, Verteran's Day, etc) and we get Christmas Day as well as Thanksgivign and the day after. I believe it's something like 9 paid holidays a year, at my job. I'd have to count...yes...9 holidays off, with an extra day for the day after Thanksgiving. So 10 paid days off in addition to your vacation time off.

But as I said, every job in America makes its own rules.

Then there is sick time, which also varies. I get 5 paid sick days a year, though if I use them I tend to take more than one day at a time, as "occurences" are counted against you. *rolls eyes*

So I get 5 paid sick days, 10 days holiday pay, and 15 days of vacation.
              Jenni

Comment

Holy buckets...I think I'm quite happy to stay right here and work...we get annual leave plus public holidays plus sick pay and some even get roster days which is where you get one day off a month - paid!!!
                IIRC, back when I worked full time....before kids...all workers were entitled to 4 weeks annual leave plus sick leave...and the maternity leave has improved remarkably!! Even dads get paternity leave!!
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

At my job in the UK we get 5 weeks holiday. Most of it has to be used by year end unless you are unable to take it for some reason (like you had hols booked but had to cancel it because of a major client issue and are unable to find time to take it again) but you are allowed to carry 5 days over. We also get bank holidays, and because the bosses like to stay open over the xmas week (not xmas day, boxing day or new years day) they ask for a skeleton team to be in, so if you do any of those 3 days, you get awarded 2 days off for each of the days you work. Nice!

You can take additional leave over your 5 weeks allotment but it would then be unpaid.
                  sigpic

Comment

Can I come work with you? *bats eyelashes*
                    Jenni

Comment

sigpic

Comment

So, been checking out the Gatecon thread and living vicariously through others' photos and stories. I note that they will have a DVD available once they get the official OK from the actors. Is that a possibliity for the filming done at AT4? Not nagging, just wondering.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                          So, been checking out the Gatecon thread and living vicariously through others' photos and stories. I note that they will have a DVD available once they get the official OK from the actors. Is that a possibliity for the filming done at AT4? Not nagging, just wondering.
                          We've tried to get them before, but so far, no luck.

Let us know if you hear about the Gatecon disc!
                          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                          Anon

Comment

there's a LOT that goes into making a video

first, equipment. Professional grade video cameras do NOT come cheap. Not to mention having the experience to use one. Then there's the time to tape everything, the time to go through it all and process it.

Then there's the very, VERY time consuming time of editing, not to mention editing cohesively. and then distributing it and duplicating it for distribution.

And ALL of this is contintent upon Amanda wishing to be video taped and having that extra bit of 'stress' added to what is supposed to be a relaxed weekend.

I work in the video field in real life, and sure, it COULD be done. But is all the time and cost worth it? Two video cameras, set up, two people to run them, the hours and HOURS and HOURS of video, distilling that down into something compact and cohesive. Getting permission and review of it all....it takes a long time.

and while i can't and won't speak for the G4 in any way, shape or form, taking on a video of AT4 would be a monumental task. For your 2 hour finished product, you'd probably end up with 40-80 hours of work to make it. and that's not counting the time it takes to replicate and mail out videos.

and, would you guys still feel like you were having fun having a camera tossed in your face all the time???? would you be comfortable and relaxed?

In gatecon there is so much going on that the cameras were easy to ignore. But the atmosphere of Gabit is much more low key than gatecon
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              there's a LOT that goes into making a video

first, equipment. Professional grade video cameras do NOT come cheap. Not to mention having the experience to use one. Then there's the time to tape everything, the time to go through it all and process it.

Then there's the very, VERY time consuming time of editing, not to mention editing cohesively. and then distributing it and duplicating it for distribution.

And ALL of this is contintent upon Amanda wishing to be video taped and having that extra bit of 'stress' added to what is supposed to be a relaxed weekend.

I work in the video field in real life, and sure, it COULD be done. But is all the time and cost worth it? Two video cameras, set up, two people to run them, the hours and HOURS and HOURS of video, distilling that down into something compact and cohesive. Getting permission and review of it all....it takes a long time.

and while i can't and won't speak for the G4 in any way, shape or form, taking on a video of AT4 would be a monumental task. For your 2 hour finished product, you'd probably end up with 40-80 hours of work to make it. and that's not counting the time it takes to replicate and mail out videos.

and, would you guys still feel like you were having fun having a camera tossed in your face all the time???? would you be comfortable and relaxed?

In gatecon there is so much going on that the cameras were easy to ignore. But the atmosphere of Gabit is much more low key than gatecon

Ooops, first I note I said AT4 in my post not AT3. Must have that on the brain already.

Not being at all technically inclined, I was basing my question on the fact that they were filming AT3 (and warned us in advance they were doing so, likely so rderoch, Mandy and JanSam would behave) so that is what I was actually wondering about. However, based on your answer it seems like they would have needed something more elaborate than what they had at AT3. I assume therefore they were taping it for other purposes.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

yeah, can't speak as to why they were taping it...or were they TAPING or just using the cameras to get the video feed onto the big screens?
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X