GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    Wait a minute, I thought you bought the Ra crystal thing that is featured in your sig.
    Nope nope, that was MajorSamFan.
    Jenni

Comment

I did win something in the silent auction. The Atlantis tshirt signed by Amanda. The silent auction was fun. It wasn't nearly as pricey and you had to keep going back to check the signup sheets to redo your bid. I think I got the shirt for 75 pounds. I was really surprised when after the closing ceremonies Sue said my name to go downstairs. I'd completely forgotten about it.

Hey, mind another maybe tag along on the stone henge tour??? I was wanting to go out there this trip. I didn't get to see anything but the Ren, Heathrow and one pub this last trip... Like to actually see London and a few other sites this trip.
      sigpic

otoole/Erin

Comment

Originally posted by Erin13 View Post
        Hey, mind another maybe tag along on the stone henge tour??? I was wanting to go out there this trip. I didn't get to see anything but the Ren, Heathrow and one pub this last trip... Like to actually see London and a few other sites this trip.
        YAY! When it gets a little closer I will look into the tour. Last time I booked my flight and hotel separately, since I used Expedia. Since I will be Buying the hotel room through the hotel this time, to save a little bit, and the flight will be cheaper elsewhere...I might just see if I can get the tour by itself. The company I used for the Total London Experience (Golden Tours) was great.
        Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
          Hee. I remember walking up to you and saying "Hey, I heard you're starflight." and then I shoved my book under your nose for you to sign. I was just re-reading what you wrote, with all of your future demands and I've no idea if you still lurk on the S/J thread so here you go, present for ya, including a downloadable version. You have waited long enough.

Kiss the Girl
          {{PengYn}} LOL, yes, and I'm so very glad did! It was so much fun to finally put faces and names together. And, that was one beautiful book you had. I feel honored to have signed it!

Ooh, and *big hugs* to you for the vid! It's one of my all-time favorites! It makes me smile every time! I've already downloaded it! Now I just have to figure out HOW to get it on my iPod!

I think you were smart to sightsee beforehand and then you wouldn't be so jetlagged for the con. Looking forward to seeing you at AT4!

P.S. Still have my button!
          EH-T, Exactly. I had those four days to really go at my own pace. I had no set schedule, although I did have a loose itinerary. So, if I felt the need to sleep in a bit one morning or have an early night, I did just that. By the time of the con I felt well-rested.

Looking forward to see you at AT4 too! And, glad to hear you still have your button. Maybe we can add to your collection at AT4!

Also posted on the Sam thread:

I'm involved in our local Fringe Festival. While waiting to meet family the other day I had to laugh at one of the posters promoting a show. It made me think of Amanda and AT3. The show was called "She rules with IRON STICKS: An exploration into the curious world of baton twirling" and, no, Amanda is not starring in it.
          LOL!

Thanks, sueKay!

Thanks, Mala!

Comment

If the dream I had last night is anything to do by then AT4 is going to be fantastic *g*

The dream I had I about AT4 that is, not the freaky dream about murderous four legged aliens and being trapped in a school, that one was less fun, but the AT4 dream featuring lots of people in the hotel lobby and extended silliness. At one point dream Eve, Cel, Lies and I were having complete and total hysterics in the bathroom and I don't know why.
            sigpic
            Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
            My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
              I've heard before (from people that fly all over the world for their job) that flying east is way worse for the jet lag.
              Yes, it is, for the simple fact that flying east means you "lose" hours whereas flying west you "win" them. Flights from Europe to North America usually have you land in the late afternoon/evening which is then late evening/night for your body. You only have to stay up for another few hours and then can go to sleep, so basically it feels as if you had a late night.

The flight North America - Europe though usually goes overnight, so you land in the morning whereas for your body it's still the middle of the night. You've only gotten a few hours of sleep on the plane - if any at all - but should stay awake for an entire day in order to get over the jet lag.

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                Heh Julia and I have already been plotting for the next auction.
                Next time I am going to try and have some money to bid on something at the auction...and you know...buy lunch and breakfast with every day too. I need to work on my organisational skills.
                Didn't Julia make a bag for the auction??? I want one of those...I'm saving...really hard...hubby even gave me a one pound note last night...he found it in his stash of junk....that and $1NZ...wow..I'm really rich now!! I told him that I'll keep the I pound note and get me a cup of coffee with it...he says that you can't get anything for a pound...he's heard horror stories about how terribly expensive it is in England...that you can't even buy a hotdog and drink for less than 10 pounds...ouch!!!
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                  I'm saving...really hard...hubby even gave me a one pound note last night...he found it in his stash of junk....that and $1NZ...wow..I'm really rich now!! I told him that I'll keep the I pound note and get me a cup of coffee with it...he says that you can't get anything for a pound...he's heard horror stories about how terribly expensive it is in England...that you can't even buy a hotdog and drink for less than 10 pounds...ouch!!!
                  It's not that expensive Chelle! A Starbucks coffee is less than £3.

But as to your £1 note, I'm afraid you won't be able to buy anything with that as we stopped using those at the beginning of 1985 and they were replaced with £1 coins!

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by t_2 View Post

But as to your £1 note, I'm afraid you won't be able to buy anything with that as we stopped using those at the beginning of 1985 and they were replaced with £1 coins!

Tracy
                    Unless it's a Royal Bank of Scotland £1 note. We still have them as well as £1 coins.

It still won't buy you much.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by t_2 View Post
                      It's not that expensive Chelle! A Starbucks coffee is less than £3.

Tracy
                      I have a few coins left from AT3 (shocked given the persistence of the raffle ladies ) so they'll come in handy for AT4.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I have a few coins left from AT3 (shocked given the persistence of the raffle ladies ) so they'll come in handy for AT4.
                        hehe...think I've got you beat. *gets out brit money to count*

I came back with a little over 44 pounds. I actually saved a 20, 10 and 5 pound note on purpose and the rest was just varied change I found at the bottom of my document bag where I threw everything into before I left England.

Unlike you, I don't plan on using it though. Money from different countries is just fascinating to me, but it also brings back quite a bit of memories as well. I think I can spare it.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                          hehe...think I've got you beat. *gets out brit money to count*

I came back with a little over 44 pounds. I actually saved a 20, 10 and 5 pound note on purpose and the rest was just varied change I found at the bottom of my document bag where I threw everything into before I left England.

Unlike you, I don't plan on using it though. Money from different countries is just fascinating to me, but it also brings back quite a bit of memories as well. I think I can spare it.
                          I have money of some kind from every country I have been to. Its afun thing to collect.
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                          My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                            I usually collect some coins...at least one of each type. The only thing I didn't manage was the Croatian money...just didn't have enough funds left by that time to bring back much coinage. I got a few though. And I got Euros (from Italy) and of course, pounds from Engyland. No money from Slovenia (Euros again) or Austria (same)...and I was only in the airport in The Netherlands, so no monies there either.

HEE

And that was just from MAY!
                            Jenni

Comment

Howdy all - I know it's been a while, but contrary to popular belief, I am still alive and kicking ... so to speak. RL's been ... consuming. On the uber-upside, I have a fulltime job once again, so AT4 has gone back to being a definite potentiality - yayness!!!

Originally posted by Snowflake View Post
                              This is the nicest thread I have been to.
                              Thank you all for answering!!!

I work for Hertz so I can get a pretty good deal on a car or minivan, but I can't drive over there. I am a moron and have the worst time trying to stay on the proper side of the road!

EH-T - Thanks for the B.C. welcome. Gotta love Canada. I have a question for you though, when saying about, do you pronounce it Aboot? People keep saying we Can's do, but I do not, and I have yet to meet anyone who does. Strange that, I just don't know. I do however say Eh?
                              You'll find we're a pretty welcoming bunch =D
                              ...and, welcome from yet another fellow Canuck! (I'm the crazy bouncy one - hard to miss, all things considered LOL) Oh and yes, I *do* pronounce it 'aboot'. I am not trying to perpetuate the stereotype - it's just the way I talk, darnit! *stop glaring at me Mandy - I'm not bloody well doing it on purpose! Sigh...*

I wonder what will happen at AT4?? I know they didn't do one for AT3...but here's hoping we might be able to inspire the G4 to set something up!!!
                              <snippage>
                              Awww...this thread is lovely isn't it!!
                              I like your location Snowflake...even though it's not me you're referring to!!! =D
                              I'd have no problems driving over there seeings how we drive on the same side as the Brits!!! I think my problem would be understanding their road laws...I mean even from state to state here, it's different! Not to mention the traffic!!
                              When I hear a Canadian say the word "about" it sounds like "a-boat"...if that makes sense! It's the one thing I can differentiate between the Canadian accent and the American accent...it's the pronunciation of their "ou"!
                              I say we go for a Guiness world record in people consuming blue jello Hehehehe .... no? But it'd be fun....

Driving in Britain isn't as hard as one might think - even I managed it without actually damaging any cars or persons ... which is saying a lot. It's just wrapping your head around the roundabouts and the fact that they write on the road over there ... can you imagine if we tried that here in Canada? Eeeep! Oh and the roads are narrower, which makes city driving ... um ... interesting.

[QUOTE=rderoch;8575769]That was your first? Oh my. We really broke you in didn't we.
                              <snippity>
                              As for the Canadian accent thing....It's always certain words/sounds that tell me someone is from Canada. I didn't pick up much from EH-T, Mandy or Jan. Are you all from southern Ontario? [QUOTE]

Hey, it was only my second con ... and yeah, I feel totally spoiled now too!

Wait a sec, how come the only Cdn who apparently actually sounds like a stereotypical Cdn didn't make the list, yet an American (Jan) did??? *feels left out*

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                              LOL, I"m sure Jan will be pleased to be mistaken for a Canadian =D I'm from Onatrio, Jan is from the west coast of the USA, but she picked up her Canadian sweat shirt while visiting me...yep she was trying to pass herself off as a one of us =P =D

Come to think of it...so was Antoa
                              Yes Mandy, I agree =D Prob b/c for one, Cdns rock, and for two, sometimes it really is safer to pretend to be Cdn while travelling ... sad but true. And for the record, I live about an hour away from Mandy, also in S. Ontario, while EH-T lives in Manitoba.

hee hee. Yep, instead of heading out of the airport to where all the cabs and hoppa buses are waiting for ya, you stay inside your terminal and follow the signs for the central bus station/underground/trains and obviously head up to the bus station and take the 285.

Although perhaps I should be telling everyone this closer to the time lol.

Might be a thought, PengYn A helpful one at that!!

I'm sure I heard Ames say "aboot" once. Or otherwise she was talking about people saying "aboot".. can't remember as she talks a lot!
                              Yes, yes I do. To both of those, actually - LOL

Keep in mind, Ames is not a normal Canadian...ah I mean she doesn't speak like most of do =D
                              *grin* I am the Crazy Canadian, afterall!
                              (Love you too Mandy - hehehe...)

Hehehe...I can't wait to meet you net year...just to hear your voice/accent...yay!!! =D

I'm glad you cleared that up!!

Just a quick question about AT4...where does everyone eat breakfast, lunch and dinner???
                              How much time do we get for lunch?
                              Not that I'm thinking about my tummy right now...well I am but that's because I have a wonky tummy...I think it was the fish...but I'm just wondering...I get bored and my mind wanders!!
                              I love accents too chelle =)
                              I seem to pick them up rather quickly, so that could explain why, as Mandy so lovingly put it, I don't sound like a normal Canadian =P
                              I was going to comment on the food options, but everyone seems to have covered them nicely, so I'll move right along...

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                              Paul Brown (Legends) is an ExPat Brit who emigrated to Canada. His girls were born there. When he is in Canada he has quite a Canadian accent, but as soon as he comes home, (or spends some time with us) his English accent creeps back.

Mumsey
                              (Who tends to pick up accents wherever she spends time)
                              I know how you feel Mumsey!
                              I've pretty much reverted back to my (albeit odd) Canadian accent now ... although as soon as I hear someone with any semblance of a UK accent, my accent returns almost immediately! It's kind of cool, actually - I was afraid I'd lost it for good, and I really liked my funky hybrid accent...

<snips...>
                              For dinner I just tagged along to a pub with whatever GWers I could find. Again, this was not expensive but I don't drink so that may have had something to do with it!

It was interesting to look in the merchandise room but I didn't buy anything (except a picture for someone who shall remain nameless ) as I am not a collector. I did buy my button (2 English pounds I think) and the proceeds went to the dogs. I also bought raffle tickets because the proceeds were for charity. Those are discretionary things so you don't have to spend anything (well, you might want to buy one raffle ticket for tea with Amanda, it only takes one to win ) Don't plan on buying anything at the auction, because the prices are high, but you can have lots of fun at the auction without buying anything in my opinion.

The GABIT package comes with lots of souvenirs and you get a picture and autographs so you will have lots of wonderful mementos of your trip.
                              Dinners were fun b/c I ate with different people each time, and got to know more new friends that way =D
                              The auction was a ton of fun, even though there was no way I could even contemplate bidding on anything.
                              "So, we'll start the bid at 20, do I hear -"
                              "50!"
                              "Right, so we've got 5-"
                              "100!"
                              ...and so on ... watching Amanda and Thomasina run to entice the previous bidder was hilarious (and yes EH-T, you are cruel ... but in a totally good way!) ... I managed to get one good photo in my batch, mostly b/c the girl who won most of the RDA stuff was sitting just across the aisle from me, so I got to see a fair amount of Amanda - although it was more of her back half than the front! But still ... it was very fun and energetic and yeah. Cool.
                              There are lots of less expensive things to bid on as well ... I happened to favour the buttons (yes, I have them all, and yes, you can still hear me coming from 3 rooms over - LOL)! Between them and the raffles, I was able to not go massively over-budget but still feel like I was contributing.

Well I'm gonna be looking out for you girls to pick up my pieces if I should fall apart...hubby will be no good to me on the other side of the globe.
                              We'll be here for ya chelle - gabiteers are great for helping each other out, especially when it comes to emotional support!

Hee. I remember walking up to you and saying "Hey, I heard you're starflight." and then I shoved my book under your nose for you to sign. I was just re-reading what you wrote, with all of your future demands and I've no idea if you still lurk on the S/J thread so here you go, present for ya, including a downloadable version. You have waited long enough.
                              Oh yes, your book
                              I wish I had thought of something like that - def for next time! And yes, you can have an entire page to fill if you so desire PengYn (that'll teach ya to not hand me the book to an open page and say 'write whatever comes to mind - fill the page if you want!' silly silly PengYn.... on the other hand, I bet you'll always remember the randomness that is ames - hehehe)!

[QUOTE=Fresh_Horse;8603402]Yeah, you should have seen my friend Anke aka Anke "I never win anything".
                              Right, she got the table centerpiece (Helen Magnus centerpiece), won three prizes at the instant raffle and tea with Amanda.[QUOTE]

Anke did really well at AT3, that's for darn sure! The centrepiece was awesome, and tea with Amanda - just too cool

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
                              As Mumsey Said this was raised and we DID have some rooms at the con rate for Thursday but there were not enough and the hotel were not able to extend the numbers.

We have had a chat with them about it and for next time, we will book more for the Thursday night.

Hugs
                              Becks
                              G4
                              That's awesome - thanks Becks (and the rest of G4, of course). You guys really do put on a great con (in case it hasn't been said enough yet), and obviously keep striving to make it even better!

Heh Julia and I have already been plotting for the next auction. =D

Next time I am going to try and have some money to bid on something at the auction...and you know...buy lunch and breakfast with every day too. I need to work on my organisational skills. =P
                              Titi and Julia plotting? I'm not sure I like the sounds of this ... maybe if you bring me in on the plot, I'll like it better? Hmmmmm.......

Hey, I thought eating was over-rated - or did I miss yet another memo? PengYn, are you stealing my memos again???

If the dream I had last night is anything to do by then AT4 is going to be fantastic *g*

The dream I had I about AT4 that is, not the freaky dream about murderous four legged aliens and being trapped in a school, that one was less fun, but the AT4 dream featuring lots of people in the hotel lobby and extended silliness. At one point dream Eve, Cel, Lies and I were having complete and total hysterics in the bathroom and I don't know why.
                              Um ... did it possibly have something to do with bluey goodness making gone terribly wrong? If so, I'm not paying for de-blue-ifying the hotel room on my own, darnit!

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                              Unless it's a Royal Bank of Scotland £1 note. We still have them as well as £1 coins.

=D It still won't buy you much. =P
                              You've got to watch those Scottish notes - there are actually places in England that won't accept them *gasp* (threw me for a loop, to tell the truth!)
                              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                              ames on facebook
                              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Jan and I arrived Thursday morning, and were given the advice 'don't go to sleep until a reasonable hour London time'. So if you saw 2 very tired giddy looking people wandering the lobby of the Ren, that was us
                                Every time I've gone to England I manage to avoid serious jetlag by doing just that--stay up as long as I can (just keep moving) and the next day I may be a little less jetlagged. It worked well--but when I got home to Seattle I was drowsy for 3 days. Kept falling asleep if I sat down. I thought it worked the other way around but it definitely affected me more coming home.

donamac

Comment

Working...
                                X