No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Becks, I'd love to help with the sewing, but I have to work thurs and Friday. If you're really desperate, I'll come down thurs evening to help and then drive home (it's only a half hour or so for me) but obviously, it would be easier to find early arriving attendees.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
      There is indeed a Pub just a few hundred yards down the road (to the left as you leave the hotel), a MacDonalds (across and to the right), a nice Chinese restaurant way down to the left (but it is a long walk - dooable but brisk), and a Petrol Station across from the hotel which more than likely sells chocolate and crisps and other things (never been in there but I suspect it has the usual snacky type stuff).

There are obviously other restaurants in the local residential vicinity and other pubs, especially to the North of the Airport, but you would probably need a cab to get to them.

The Hotel will be providing a cash sandwich, coffee, soft drinks etc service during the official lunch breaks and there is a hotel bar (undoubtedly relocated to somewhere else from the foyer during the foyer refurbishment).

Hope this helps.

Julia
      G4
      The Petrol station yeah went there picked up some things as well last time.

Residential area we went to a pub that was a short walk from the hotel in that area. I found the fish and chip to be very good but enough to share with someone and the choice of drinks there is much better than the hotel and cheaper.

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
      Th chineese resteraunt is also a bit pricey, and the service can be errm how can I put this... overly attentive??? Nice food though.

Hugs
      Becks

Yep it was a bit pricey. The food was good but I for one will not be going back there again this time. But if someone really wants Chinese I would say the food is good.
      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Hehehehe, I just got my new snowboard bag and the model name is 'AT3' how appropriate
        sigpic
        Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
        My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
          There is indeed a Pub just a few hundred yards down the road (to the left as you leave the hotel), a MacDonalds (across and to the right), a nice Chinese restaurant way down to the left (but it is a long walk - dooable but brisk), and a Petrol Station across from the hotel which more than likely sells chocolate and crisps and other things (never been in there but I suspect it has the usual snacky type stuff).

There are obviously other restaurants in the local residential vicinity and other pubs, especially to the North of the Airport, but you would probably need a cab to get to them.

The Hotel will be providing a cash sandwich, coffee, soft drinks etc service during the official lunch breaks and there is a hotel bar (undoubtedly relocated to somewhere else from the foyer during the foyer refurbishment).

Hope this helps.

Julia
          G4
          Yep, I know there are at least three pubs near the hotel as I've eaten in all of them. There is a McDonald's as others have said, as well as an Italian restaurant nearby. Also keep in mind that there are many different hotels in the area and most of them have cafes and restaurants in them as well. So you do have a large choice of food nearby; however, like with all airports, you will pay dearly for the convenience of said food. The Chinese restaurant that was mentioned earlier has very good food, but it's also quite expensive compared to prices we get here in the States. I believe we had like 15 people in our party and they required us to order a minimum of L10 per person and if I remember correctly only the soup on the menu was under that price.

Honestly, I can get twice the amount of food for a third of the price here at home. I think the price difference shocked me the most the first year I was there. But if you prepare yourself in knowing that a good deal of your money is going to be spent on food, then you should be ok.

So if you are watching your money, I would really suggest trying to get to a convenience store or Tesco and buy a few items to get you through the day so that you only have to purchase dinner(tea) at the restaurants. Or if you don't mind sharing, buy a meal at the bar in the hotel or local restaurants and share it with the friend. My husband and I do that on occassion. We purchase one meal with a side salad and share it, that way we save money. If I remember correctly the dinner at the Marriott cost L25 and it was a buffet style meal and the breakfasts will costs you around L12-L15, I believe. In my opinion, the hotel bar offered just as good of food as the restaurant for half the cost. But I would really suggest going to one of the local pubs instead if you can. And if all else fails, there is a pizza shop nearby( it was either Domino's or Pizza Hut) that will deliver to the hotel and you can split that with friends. We did that one night as wel

Edit: Seems I've just duplicated a lot of what others have said. Guess I should have read all the posts before I made a comment. :O
          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 20 April 2008, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
            Hehehehe, I just got my new snowboard bag and the model name is 'AT3' how appropriate
            Very cool.

Hey, note my new sig from the fab SamJackShipLover (whom I can't seem to green at the moment)

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
              It is meant to be And very cool indeed

And I am thinking about getting one of my drawings being signed although I am not so sure about them, they aren't that great... ugh, I dont' know

Comment

My mum asked for Ark of Truth for her birthday (19th May), so hopefully I can get a copy of that and get it signed for her.
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

there is another pub down to the right, past hte mcdonalds then to the left....someone else will know precisely where it is. a bit of a walk but doable (the pub was blue and white, anyone recall its name?)

a 2 mile walk is a brisk half hour, not impossible by any stretch, just wear good shoes

i htink the one closest to the hotel is the Three Magpies
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    there is another pub down to the right, past hte mcdonalds then to the left....someone else will know precisely where it is. a bit of a walk but doable (the pub was blue and white, anyone recall its name?)

a 2 mile walk is a brisk half hour, not impossible by any stretch, just wear good shoes

i htink the one closest to the hotel is the Three Magpies
                    No army (oops, air force) boots then?

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                      Yay. I finished a wallpaper I want to use as 1 item to get signed Because I had nothing, and don't feel like buying a pic there are millions (?? lol) off, I wanted to make something myself. Luckily I could use AT2/Avalon pics from a friend, so no copyright issues.

*click for larger*

What do you think? I'm going to get it printed on good quality paper friday. I left plenty of space for Amanda to sign too Tee Hee, only 12 days
                      Very lovely wall Anne! I know Amanda will love it too.

As to eating, with all this great info and opinions I'm a bit confuzzled now. I mean, I'd love to try eating out at least once when I'm there, but not if it's gonna break the bank...or the debit card actually. I knew costs would have to be doubled considering what the dollar is worth over there, but if your buying fried rice for example for $15 when at home it costs $4 then perhaps eating out isnt the option. I know the airport allows certain food brought if it's in your regular luggage. I suppose I could stash some pbj and grab some bread/ crackers once there or something similar along these lines.

Gah...I hardly ever eat in the morning so it figures that the one meal I can be sure of would have to be breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        Wasn't an O Neill's was it? Because that might just be too hard to resist. I know there is one somewhere near the airport but couldn't tell ya where exactly.
                        sigpic

Comment

i didn't think it was an o'neill's.

the food was pretty good and i found the walk okay. it feels good to get outside and get some fresh air - relatively speaking

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
                            Wasn't an O Neill's was it? Because that might just be too hard to resist. I know there is one somewhere near the airport but couldn't tell ya where exactly.
                            I'm sure Sky would have remembered the name if that was it

Comment

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
                              Th chineese resteraunt is also a bit pricey, and the service can be errm how can I put this... overly attentive??? Nice food though.

Hugs
                              Becks
                              Not sure if I'd call it overly attentive, my opinion on our experience last time was that their staff just didn't seem happy the 15 of us were there period....... But maybe smaller groups don't get their ire up?

But I agree, it was nice food and good portions for your money (although a problem if you have extras and nowhere to store it). It was a nice brisk walk. scarimor and I were able to have a wonderful conversation on the walk back whilst leaving *coughs* everyone behind....
                              Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                              The Petrol station yeah went there picked up some things as well last time.

Residential area we went to a pub that was a short walk from the hotel in that area. I found the fish and chip to be very good but enough to share with someone and the choice of drinks there is much better than the hotel and cheaper.
                              I remember tagging along behind you and Strix one of the days to the petrol/convenience mart. Also bought a sandwich and crisps from the hotel too the other lunchtime. (Even shared the crisps with Strix.)

LOL! It was The Pheasant that we went to. Not too far down the road at all. I learned the first time I went there that the fish of their 'fish and chips' was fish the size of a rack of ribs, so the second time I definitely shared my plate. *grins* And we also got to taste the spotted dick.....
                              Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                              Yep, I know there are at least three pubs near the hotel as I've eaten in all of them. There is a McDonald's as others have said, as well as an Italian restaurant nearby. Also keep in mind that there are many different hotels in the area and most of them have cafes and restaurants in them as well. So you do have a large choice of food nearby; however, like with all airports, you will pay dearly for the convenience of said food. The Chinese restaurant that was mentioned earlier has very good food, but it's also quite expensive compared to prices we get here in the States. I believe we had like 15 people in our party and they required us to order a minimum of L10 per person and if I remember correctly only the soup on the menu was under that price.

Honestly, I can get twice the amount of food for a third of the price here at home. I think the price difference shocked me the most the first year I was there. But if you prepare yourself in knowing that a good deal of your money is going to be spent on food, then you should be ok.

So if you are watching your money, I would really suggest trying to get to a convenience store or Tesco and buy a few items to get you through the day so that you only have to purchase dinner(tea) at the restaurants. Or if you don't mind sharing, buy a meal at the bar in the hotel or local restaurants and share it with the friend. My husband and I do that on occassion. We purchase one meal with a side salad and share it, that way we save money. If I remember correctly the dinner at the Marriott cost L25 and it was a buffet style meal and the breakfasts will costs you around L12-L15, I believe. In my opinion, the hotel bar offered just as good of food as the restaurant for half the cost. But I would really suggest going to one of the local pubs instead if you can. And if all else fails, there is a pizza shop nearby( it was either Domino's or Pizza Hut) that will deliver to the hotel and you can split that with friends. We did that one night as wel

Edit: Seems I've just duplicated a lot of what others have said. Guess I should have read all the posts before I made a comment. :O
                              (((((Kat))))))) No, your comment is just as useful and informative as all the rest.

I had a dinner (or was that lunch?) at the Ren's bar one evening. Decent food and not too bad cost-wise (probably comparable cost-wise to the pub).
                              Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                              As to eating, with all this great info and opinions I'm a bit confuzzled now. I mean, I'd love to try eating out at least once when I'm there, but not if it's gonna break the bank...or the debit card actually. I knew costs would have to be doubled considering what the dollar is worth over there, but if your buying fried rice for example for $15 when at home it costs $4 then perhaps eating out isnt the option. I know the airport allows certain food brought if it's in your regular luggage. I suppose I could stash some pbj and grab some bread/ crackers once there or something similar along these lines.

Gah...I hardly ever eat in the morning so it figures that the one meal I can be sure of would have to be breakfast.
                              Sorry for the confuzzlement. But yeah, you do have to remember we're a big group with some very different eating habits, so our opinions are going to vary wildly.

But actually it is good to have a decent amount of breakfast (no cost), then snack or share a sandwich and crisps (chips here in the US) for a midday lunch (split cost) and then have most of your funds still available for a nice meal with a group heading out somewhere (and believe me, there's always at least several groups of 2 or more heading out *somewhere* in the evening. )
                              Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

the pheasant, i was gonna say it was something bird like

and yeah, 'fish and chips' really means half a freaking cod with a few fries to break it up.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X