No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not bothering changing money out. Turns out my savings bank doesn't charge fees (except the 1% Visa charges to convert the money) - and even pays the other bank's fees back to me - so it's actually cheaper to do it over at Heathrow.

Celendine, you might want to change money in the USA depending on fees. My local bank (not my savings bank) charges a flat $10 to convert the money. But you need to give the bank a bit of time (2-5 business days) to get the money in for you. Pounds Sterling, NOT Euros...

suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      oh brits

i called my bank today about getting money and they said that the UK is all euros now, not pounds

is that right?

all they can get me is euros so will those be okay?

I know at AT2 some places took euros but the preference was for the pound
      We're still pounds...I haven't been out of the country that long I think the situation is still the same in that some places might take euros at their discretion but really, we're still pounds.

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
      Funny thing about my bank though. I called them today and asked about getting some of my dollars converted to pounds for the trip and they told me I had to go to Chicago to get it done. Gah. I don't have time or gas money to be taking a trip there just to convert my money. I think my best bet is the airport.
      how about....you let me spoil you...then you won't hardly need to convert any monrey

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
      Tell me about it! Well, I just checked one thing off my list - state taxes are done!! Should be getting $328 in my account in about a week. yay! That will help pay part of the cost of my new lenses.

And as if I didn't need more stuff to deal with, I discovered a fraudulent charge on my debit card this morning *sigh* Strange thing is that it's still in my wallet. Well, the card has been canceled so I will be without one for a few days until my new ones comes in the mail.

The goal is to at least get a good start on the skirt tonight. If I have enough time I would like to make a second skirt for the disco, but we'll see.
      Eurk! Good luck with getting the card sorted and with the skirt!

My packing has been put on hold as I realised I can't fit my snowboard and skis in my current snowboard bag...*doh*

Also....BMI have me down in my flight booking as 'Mr', which is a tad worrying, I need to ring them and correct them on that one, before if causes a problem at the airport , as well as booking in my oversized luggage.
      sigpic
      Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
        Tell me about it! Well, I just checked one thing off my list - state taxes are done!! Should be getting $328 in my account in about a week. yay! That will help pay part of the cost of my new lenses.

And as if I didn't need more stuff to deal with, I discovered a fraudulent charge on my debit card this morning *sigh* Strange thing is that it's still in my wallet. Well, the card has been canceled so I will be without one for a few days until my new ones comes in the mail.

The goal is to at least get a good start on the skirt tonight. If I have enough time I would like to make a second skirt for the disco, but we'll see.
        Yay on state taxes! Mine's only amounting to enough to buy me a Happy Meal and McDonalds but that's ok. My federal is what I'm still waiting on. Darn snafu at the post office had it being sent back to the IRS, but everything is cleared up thankfully and I should be getting that whopper in the next week or two.

D'oh on the debit card. Darn that stinks. *shakes head at the audacity of some people*

I'm amazed at the patience of those who sew. How can you sit for so long in one place?!

Originally posted by suse View Post
        Celendine, you might want to change money in the USA depending on fees. My local bank (not my savings bank) charges a flat $10 to convert the money. But you need to give the bank a bit of time (2-5 business days) to get the money in for you. Pounds Sterling, NOT Euros...

suse
        I'm changing some of my money at O'Hare before I leave so I have that funky Brit money on hand for any emergencies once I land. My bank told me to drive to Chicago. Definitely NOT in my plans.

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
        how about....you let me spoil you...then you won't hardly need to convert any monrey
        Nope! How about we just continue the trend of ME spoiling you and YOU just accepting this luxury?

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
        Also....BMI have me down in my flight booking as 'Mr', which is a tad worrying, I need to ring them and correct them on that one, before if causes a problem at the airport , as well as booking in my oversized luggage.
        Or you could just don the mustache you wore for that crazy couple days you had a few weeks ago and avoid the hassle altogether.

Comment

Yay on state taxes! Mine's only amounting to enough to buy me a Happy Meal and McDonalds but that's ok. My federal is what I'm still waiting on. Darn snafu at the post office had it being sent back to the IRS, but everything is cleared up thankfully and I should be getting that whopper in the next week or two.

D'oh on the debit card. Darn that stinks. *shakes head at the audacity of some people*

I'm amazed at the patience of those who sew. How can you sit for so long in one place?!
          I got my federal back weeks ago (hooray for direct deposit!)

And this is actually the second card of mine that has had an issue in the past couple months. I am starting to get worried. The last one was my actual credit card and they called be about a suspicious charge (that wasn't me!) and closed the account too.

And surprisingly sewing involves a lot of moving. At least the way I do it! Cutting pieces out on the floor, ironing and pinning at the dining table then the actual sewing at my sewing table, and back for more ironing and such. Then I'll do the hand stuff sitting on the couch. It's the hand sewing and hand embroidery that can be killer - the embroidery on my Geeky!Sam outfit was killer. Gah.

Comment

I'm changing some of my money at O'Hare before I leave so I have that funky Brit money on hand for any emergencies once I land. My bank told me to drive to Chicago. Definitely NOT in my plans.
            I was getting some money from my bank here because I heard that the fees that the airport charges were pretty high. Anybody know if that's the case? My bank just charges a few pennies over whatever that days money is going for. I didn't know about atm's over there..
            sigpic

otoole/Erin

Comment

Tengo una pregunta, por favor.... For those who've done it - what's the easiest way to get into London from the Ren? Last time I did things a little differently doing the London Express to central London then taking a cab out to the Ren that Thursday. And while I used the Tube extensively to get around London, I never had to worry about getting from the Ren to there and back....

My plan this time, once I've landed on Wednesday and after passing through the huge duty free shopping zone, is to stop at the money changers (my federal and state returns've been cashed and are ready to be lopped in half by the exchange rate! ) right at the end of the ramp, and then I was going to get roomie & I the London Transport's travel cards.

Is it best to go back over to the airport on the Hoppa or the free buses (for the cost of a bit of walking) and then take the Tube into Piccadilly from there? (45 min.) Or a bus route? (longer?) From my earlier surfing and also checking out the link Bev shared ((((Bev)))) , it seems like the Tube shouldn't be bad and that the last Tube trains on weekdays head out at midnight. (And even if the last train was missed the N9 night bus goes between Knightsbridge/Picadilly back out to Heathrow.)

But I guess I'm really wondering how easy it is to access the Tube stations at the airport if you're just coming in from one of the hotels and are just using it to hop back and forth into town.....

*sighs* I've managed to make it through the most hectic part of my work schedule and am hoping no more 'emergent' situations pop up and I can get things squared away there for the 2 weeks I'll be off. Maybe this weekend I'll try to figure out what clothes I may take?

And thanks Kat for the info on the wifi fees.
              Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Just a note for those that have never traveled internationally before. Make sure you contact the banks for all credit cards you plan on using while you are overseas and let them know the dates and countries you plan on visiting. If you don't do this they may place a block on your card for unusal activity.

As far as fees being higher or lower that is really set by the banks that control the ATMs. So it is just like in the US. In the town were I live the Credit Unions have lower fees - Wells Fargo and Bank of America tends to be high at $3 a transaction - one local bank charges $5 for transactions plus my bank charges me $2 if I use that bank.

I called my bank today and they said they will not charge any fees but I will need to watch the local ATMs because they will have fees they will charge just like local/national banks in the US. I do seem to remember changeing a small amount at the airport last time and then using the ATM at the market near the Ren and the fees were very minimal.
                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Or you could just don the mustache you wore for that crazy couple days you had a few weeks ago and avoid the hassle altogether.
                  Argh! I've just realised that I left my moustache in my vest pocket when I handed my uniform in.

I was attached to that moustache *sigh*

I comfort myself with the knowledge that I will spook the uniform services staff out.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                  My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                    Just a note for those that have never traveled internationally before. Make sure you contact the banks for all credit cards you plan on using while you are overseas and let them know the dates and countries you plan on visiting. If you don't do this they may place a block on your card for unusal activity.
                    Oh, good idea, thank you!

San Diego Comic Con 2007 Attendee
                    San Diego Comic Con 2008 Attendee

Comment

yes, definitely let the CC companies know

what spooks me about hitting the atm is, my bank said it SHOULD work wherever visa is accepted (i have a visa check card) but they didn't know if i'd get hit with that massive money exchange fee. Like when i bought my tickets, i got hit with a 10% exchange fee for making a purchase in brit pounds (which ticks me off to no end cause the cc's are owned by the bloody banks that do the exchange....it's just a way to fleece)

anyway, i'm afraid if i hit the atm a few times to draw out money (i can only get up to 300 us a day, which won't be enough for everything unless i hit the atm 4 times or so cause of the exchange rate) i won't just get the nominal 1-5 dollars, i'll get whacked by an exchange fee that could be rather shocking. so i'm honestly afraid to use the atm

I need to call them back tomorrow and see if they can get me pounds sterling. If not, then i think i'll jsut be bringing us cash or travelers checks and exchanging htem over there
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

anyway, i'm afraid if i hit the atm a few times to draw out money (i can only get up to 300 us a day, which won't be enough for everything unless i hit the atm 4 times or so cause of the exchange rate) i won't just get the nominal 1-5 dollars, i'll get whacked by an exchange fee that could be rather shocking. so i'm honestly afraid to use the atm

I need to call them back tomorrow and see if they can get me pounds sterling. If not, then i think i'll jsut be bringing us cash or travelers checks and exchanging htem over there

When calling them back, you might ask for an increase in your daily withdrawal limit for the time you are in England and then have it revert back to 300 a day when you get home. You lose nothing by asking, and if they say no, you are no worse off than before.
                        sigpic

Comment

21 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a party is order for tommorw

Comment

I'll second that motion -- it might keep me from panicking!
                            (3 weeks - just 3 weeks, and I'm still in Canada - eep!)
                            ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                            ames on facebook
                            ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by SEREN LWCH (MAL) View Post
                              21 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a party is order for tommorw
                              Originally posted by ames View Post
                              I'll second that motion -- it might keep me from panicking!
                              (3 weeks - just 3 weeks, and I'm still in Canada - eep!)
                              I'll third that motion - 3 weeks! Yay!

And ((((ames))))

Julia(samcarterrules)
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

oh brits

i called my bank today about getting money and they said that the UK is all euros now, not pounds

is that right?

all they can get me is euros so will those be okay?

I know at AT2 some places took euros but the preference was for the pound
                                I think you might need to consider changing your bank. If they don't even know what currency a major country uses I don't know if I'd be happy giving them my money!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X