Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    it varies

here in the us, the 'lower' quality hotels, holiday inn, best western, etc have free wifi throughout the building, lobby and in the rooms

but the 'better' hotels are the ones that charge you for everything. sometimes it's free in the lobby/bar but for a charge in the room, usually $10 per 24 hour period

since it's close to the airport and a mecca for business travelers, i'd expect the ren to be a 'charge for it everywhere' hotel. business travelers write everything off or get reimbursed by their bosses, so hotels charge because people pay

the most frustrating thing? here, i'd pay $5 a day to surf in my room, but 10 dollars a day sucks, especially since i'll only be using it 2-3 hours in the evening. DAng pricy for just an overnight stay. five bucks i could justify, ten just crosses that boundary for me
    Well this is from the hotel's offical site:

Guest Rooms in Detail:

* 649 well-appointed, soundproofed guest rooms, 109 Club rooms, some with runway views
    * WiFi access in bedrooms, public areas at a charge, desk, phone/voice mail, coffeemaker/tea service
    * Ensuite bathroom, hair dryer, toiletries, mini-bar, cable/satellite colour TV, pay-per-view movies
    * Iron/ironing board, trouser press, newspaper delivered to room
    * 24-hour room service; daily housekeeping;

So it looks like there IS a charge for wifi...dang. I'll find out how much that charge will be later...unless someone beats me to it of course. *sigh*

Comment

Yeah, Celandine, unfortunately they do charge both for your own use and business center use. Downside is that the website doesn't list the amount per day that they charge like some sites do.

The only person I can remember having a lappie with her at AT2 in the GW group was Kat because she had used it often down in the lobby where most of us congregated. I'm sure she mentioned how much wifi access was per day, but *hangs head* November '06 was a long time ago and I can't remember how much it was.

Now I do remember many of us, LadyJeep, AmberMoon, and some others used the business center desktops, but those *literally* were coin fed unless you wanted to put your 15 minute (I think it was) increments on your credit card. (Can't remember how much that was either.)

Trying to get an idea right now to see if it's less expensive to pop on at the coin-fed versus doing the wifi thing. So I figured someone here might remember the price or know it offhand.

And yeah, Sky, I've been at different hotels that do different things. The Hilton in Vancouver offered free access to a group of desktops down in the lobby area (with time limits if everyone wanted to use them). But another Marriott (in Hunt Valley) charged close to $10/day for wifi access.
      Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

36 38 Gabiteers and rolling along.....
        (If we hit 40, will Bev sing us a song???)

Mal
        Skydiver
        ChopinGirl
        antoa315
        Tsaxlady
        ShimmeringStar
        PengYn
        Celandine
        Kliggins
        dipsofjazz
        samcarterrules
        Tittamiire
        TracyJane
        ames
        JanSam
        MandySG1
        Erin13
        scifithinker
        suse
        SamJackShipLover
        Mark1972
        sofie
        sclairef99
        rebelwriter03
        AmberMoon
        starflight
        rderoch
        raknor
        RepliCartertje
        Fa
        minigeek
        donamac
        CapitaBlood
        Vikitty
        EH-T
        ForeverSG1
        scarimor
        Terrah
        Mousie
        Shirt'N'Tie
        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

*raises hand*

My internet goes out over the mobile network (as does Amy's). I don't have unlimited internet (I get a 3Gb allowance per month) but it'll be enough for people to browse a bit and to keep Samanda updated etc. I'll definitely be bringing my laptop along.
          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Just to add.... there is a Tesco Express about a mile and a half from the hotel. It's only a little store, though. A big one is nearer 3 miles away, I think.
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I'm not sure if my internet connection just got volunteered there as well or not (love you honey ) but just to clarify, I can bring mine along as well. They're lovely little portable thingies that plug into the USB port. My laptop is being a royal pain atm, so I dunno if it'll make the trip with me or not -- we'll see!
              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
              ames on facebook
              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                psst...pants, unless you are going for the Cam look
                Cam-ando?

suse
                hiding
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                  Well this is from the hotel's offical site:

Guest Rooms in Detail:

* 649 well-appointed, soundproofed guest rooms, 109 Club rooms, some with runway views
                  * WiFi access in bedrooms, public areas at a charge, desk, phone/voice mail, coffeemaker/tea service
                  * Ensuite bathroom, hair dryer, toiletries, mini-bar, cable/satellite colour TV, pay-per-view movies
                  * Iron/ironing board, trouser press, newspaper delivered to room
                  * 24-hour room service; daily housekeeping;

So it looks like there IS a charge for wifi...dang. I'll find out how much that charge will be later...unless someone beats me to it of course. *sigh*
                  Well that phone call was singularly unuseful. I called the toll free number and after much searching she asked someone who said "Somewhere between $9 to $25." (US, I assume).

Thanks. I couldn't have figured that out on my own. She suggested calling the hotel directly. No thanks. I'll just assume it out of price range. Still bringing the laptop though. The other hotel has free wi-fi.

Nice lady though. She did try.

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                    Well that phone call was singularly unuseful. I called the toll free number and after much searching she asked someone who said "Somewhere between $9 to $25." (US, I assume).

Thanks. I couldn't have figured that out on my own. She suggested calling the hotel directly. No thanks. I'll just assume it out of price range. Still bringing the laptop though. The other hotel has free wi-fi.

suse
                    If I remember correctly the Marriot charged $15.00 a day for wifi connection or you could pay a flat fee per week. Actually now that I think about it was probably more like L12 a day, because I remember it being nearly twice what we normally paid for wifi service at Marriott.

I very rarely leave home without my laptop, so it will probably be with me this year as well. I just hope I don't drop the poor little thing like I did last year. It didn't like being dropped.
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 07 April 2008, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                      If I remember correctly the Marriot charged $15.00 a day for wifi connection or you could pay a flat fee of $75.00 per week. I don't leave home without my laptop but hopefully I won't drop the poor little thing like I did last year. It didn't like being dropped.
                      Feasibly a couple peeps could chip in for a day's access and share a lappy to check email. Unless they don't track the mac addresses, then you wouldn't even have to share a lappy...

Just thinking out loud

I will be bringing my lappy since at least one of the hostels we are staying at has free wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
                        Feasibly a couple peeps could chip in for a day's access and share a lappy to check email. Unless they don't track the mac addresses, then you wouldn't even have to share a lappy...

Just thinking out loud

I will be bringing my lappy since at least one of the hostels we are staying at has free wifi.
                        If people just want to check their email, the business center is not that bad. They have four or five computers that you pay per minute to use with a minimum time amount. So you could just chip in a pound or two to get a connection in the business center and take turns posting notes and emails until the time was up. Also I know in order to use a laptop in the bedrooms you will have to pay for the wifi connection; however, last year there were certain places in the lobby where you could get a wifi connection without paying for it. My husband passed a good deal of the time in the lobby playing WoW.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                          Yeah, Celandine, unfortunately they do charge both for your own use and business center use. Downside is that the website doesn't list the amount per day that they charge like some sites do.

The only person I can remember having a lappie with her at AT2 in the GW group was Kat because she had used it often down in the lobby where most of us congregated. I'm sure she mentioned how much wifi access was per day, but *hangs head* November '06 was a long time ago and I can't remember how much it was.

Now I do remember many of us, LadyJeep, AmberMoon, and some others used the business center desktops, but those *literally* were coin fed unless you wanted to put your 15 minute (I think it was) increments on your credit card. (Can't remember how much that was either.)

Trying to get an idea right now to see if it's less expensive to pop on at the coin-fed versus doing the wifi thing. So I figured someone here might remember the price or know it offhand.

And yeah, Sky, I've been at different hotels that do different things. The Hilton in Vancouver offered free access to a group of desktops down in the lobby area (with time limits if everyone wanted to use them). But another Marriott (in Hunt Valley) charged close to $10/day for wifi access.
                          aww thanks for trying to remember. It's all good. My lappy will be vacationing as well as I'll be using it for more than getting a net connection.

suse
                          Don't you just love peeps who know their job so well? j/k

The $9 to $25 is doable for me I think and will be well worth the cost when I can't sleep and need *something* to pass the time when everyone is out like a light.

Ooh perhaps they have a pool? On second thought, those usually arent open in the middle of the night...nuts.

If I remember correctly the Marriot charged $15.00 a day for wifi connection or you could pay a flat fee per week. Actually now that I think about it was probably more like L12 a day, because I remember it being nearly twice what we normally paid for wifi service at Marriott.

I very rarely leave home without my laptop, so it will probably be with me this year as well. I just hope I don't drop the poor little thing like I did last year. It didn't like being dropped.
                          I'm sorry but this just gave me the weirdest mental image of a very irate lappy giving you the evil glare.

Gah..I should go study already.

If people just want to check their email, the business center is not that bad. They have four or five computers that you pay per minute to use with a minimum time amount. So you could just chip in a pound or two to get a connection in the business center and take turns posting notes and emails until the time was up. Also I know in order to use a laptop in the bedrooms you will have to pay for the wifi connection; however, last year there were certain places in the lobby where you could get a wifi connection without paying for it. My husband passed a good deal of the time in the lobby playing WoW.
                          Hmm...I'm assuming he used a wifi card to pick up the connection, but wasnt it password censored? In my experience with hotels this was usually the case.

On a side note...I JUST BOUGHT MY AIRFARE! *wiggles*

Comment

24 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Cam-ando?

suse
                              hiding

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Wowzers!!

That's alotta Gabit goobers--I mean Gabit geeks--I mean--HIYA GUYS & GALS!!!

**much frantic waving**

mini(the ever lovin')geek, goober, whatevah!

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                                36 38 Gabiteers and rolling along.....
                                (If we hit 40, will Bev sing us a song???)

Mal
                                Skydiver
                                ChopinGirl
                                antoa315
                                Tsaxlady
                                ShimmeringStar
                                PengYn
                                Celandine
                                Kliggins
                                dipsofjazz
                                samcarterrules
                                Tittamiire