GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    What? Why we are quite able to supervise ourselves http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9864/angelgr8.gif
    I am not quite sure about that. That angel is not fooling anybody you know.
    sigpic

Comment

79 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
        Ah come on sis; besides DD will be there to supervise
        I feel so much better now... Not! That's like having a 6yr old watching a bunch of 5yr olds...lol

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
        ...PengYn promised to bail us out.

Welcome to Gateworld! Leave it to you to find us up to no good lol.
        It wasn't hard to find you two up to no good.... it's normal.. lol

Comment

Originally posted by starflight View Post
          Hi Everyone, I'm not new to GW, but I only found this thread a short while ago. Since then I've mostly been lurking here and enjoying the countdown and the cookies! ...YAY!! (thank you, Mal & Kliggins!)

I can't tell you how excited I am to be attending AT3....getting to meet Amanda again (yippee!!) and having a chance to meet other AT fans & say hello to my fellow GW posters!

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind a question that's not strictly AT3, (although deciding to attend AT3 is the reason for asking it.) Does that kind of count as AT3 related?! So, with that in mind, I'm kind of hoping that this question is okay here.

I had the good fortune to attend AT2 & Avalon and had a few days in between to sightsee in London. I must say, I looooooove your fair city. So, I decided to arrive a few days before AT3 to take in some more sights. I have a pretty good idea of some of the major things I'd like to see. But I was hoping for some input from those of you who really know the city. Any recommendations on things to see or places to go....a good restaurant, a museum that might not make it into the big guidebooks, a nice place for tea, a fun department store....things that only the local would probably know about. I'd truly appreciate anything you'd like to share.

Oh, and I have to add on your last few pages of posts. You're cracking me up over here.

Thanks so much for your help!

Welcome to the madness starflight

Ultimately it depends on where your interests lie, but museum wise I always rec the British or the Natural History.

Sightseeing on the Thames is always a good place to capture the sights from the river. Make sure the boat is a hop off hop on boat and that it stops at Greenwich. Take a walk (though be warned the hill is steep) up to the Greenwich Meridian and stand on 0 degrees. Also visit the first shop in the world which holds different trinkets and curios. It is named so because it literally is the first shop past 0 degrees.

If you feel up to it, take a 45 minute train from Waterloo station to Windsor. It's a beautiful place, and you can tour the castle there. If the weather is in your favour it's a great day out.

London wise, The London Dungeons are fun - though you really should take someone with you. The Millenium wheel will give you great views across the city. There's a fantastic exhibition in London this year - Tutankhamun and the Age of the Golden Pharoahs. It's on loan from Cairo. If you google it, you'll find all the info. You do have to prebook, because it's pretty popular.

If you are in London the Tuesday evening after AT3, you are more than welcome to join those of us going on the JacktheRipper walk.

I'll think of some more tidbits and get back to ya..

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
            We squee, we worry about money, we admire the pretty shade of pink Mal uses in her countdowns, we discuss what to pack, we are admonished by the Gabit folks to bring red for the disco, we drool in anticipation, we get neurotic, we gain weight imbibing on Kliggy's snacks and purr between her fresh 800 count sheets, we plan what to pack, we bemoan the lack of sugarfree blue jello/jelly/gelatin, we debate the merit of one type of peanut butter over the others, we decide which peanut butter to pack, we celebrate each others' birthdays, we welcome newbies like you, and we anticipate going to London to meet the queen (and I ain't talking 'bout E-beth) and each other.

Then we squee some more.

Did I leave anything out?
            LOL! I thought I would get tips on convention ettiquette (my first time), camera use, etc but instead I get tips on peanut butter! I like the way you people think!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              LOL! I thought I would get tips on convention ettiquette (my first time), camera use, etc but instead I get tips on peanut butter! I like the way you people think!
              And of course being Canadian we know, Kraft is the best
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

So true although I must admit I've gone organic the last few years.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Kraft has a peanut butter???

Did you know Philip Morris (the cigarette manufacturer based in my hometown ) owns Kraft? Diversification at it's finest...

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                    So true although I must admit I've gone organic the last few years.

I've not gone exactly organic, but Ellen introduced me to Smucker's (the jelly people) peanut butter. Ingredients: Peanuts, salt. Very yummy and no transfats or partially hydrogenated anything.

And we are bringing a jar. Or two. Easy protein.

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
                      Welcome to the madness starflight

Ultimately it depends on where your interests lie, but museum wise I always rec the British or the Natural History.

Sightseeing on the Thames is always a good place to capture the sights from the river. Make sure the boat is a hop off hop on boat and that it stops at Greenwich. Take a walk (though be warned the hill is steep) up to the Greenwich Meridian and stand on 0 degrees. Also visit the first shop in the world which holds different trinkets and curios. It is named so because it literally is the first shop past 0 degrees.

If you feel up to it, take a 45 minute train from Waterloo station to Windsor. It's a beautiful place, and you can tour the castle there. If the weather is in your favour it's a great day out.

London wise, The London Dungeons are fun - though you really should take someone with you. The Millenium wheel will give you great views across the city. There's a fantastic exhibition in London this year - Tutankhamun and the Age of the Golden Pharoahs. It's on loan from Cairo. If you google it, you'll find all the info. You do have to prebook, because it's pretty popular.

If you are in London the Tuesday evening after AT3, you are more than welcome to join those of us going on the JacktheRipper walk.

I'll think of some more tidbits and get back to ya..

PengYn! Thanks so much for your thoughts. I'm definitely planning on spending an entire day at the British Museum!! I've been wanting to go there forever. I didn't know about the Tutankhamun and the Age of the Golden Pharoahs exhibit. I'd love to see that. Thanks for the heads up on prebooking. I'm going to look into that tomorrow.

And thanks so much for the invite on the Jack the Ripper walk. I would have loved to join you all. Unfortunately, I head home on the Monday after AT3. If you have anything going on before AT3 (I get into London the Sunday before) I'd love to join you all for that.

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks, sueKay!

Thanks, Mala!

Comment

My travel buddy Vikki and I will already be staying in the hostel by Tuesday, but we would very much like to meet up with everyone for the Jack the Ripper Tour.

Where is it exactly? We will probably be staying in the Victoria area (because it makes us giggle). We should probably figure out what other touristy stuff we are going to do while in London.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                          I've not gone exactly organic, but Ellen introduced me to Smucker's (the jelly people) peanut butter. Ingredients: Peanuts, salt. Very yummy and no transfats or partially hydrogenated anything.

And we are bringing a jar. Or two. Easy protein.

suse
                          If you live where they have Trader Joes they have their private label PB which is even better than Smuckers and much less expensive. I'll try to fit some in my luggage. It isn't in glass jars so not so much danger of breakage (and the need to find a laundromat

Comment

78 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
                              My travel buddy Vikki and I will already be staying in the hostel by Tuesday, but we would very much like to meet up with everyone for the Jack the Ripper Tour.

Where is it exactly? We will probably be staying in the Victoria area (because it makes us giggle). We should probably figure out what other touristy stuff we are going to do while in London.
                              What area of London is it in? And you call yourself a Sanctuary fan?

It's in Whitechapel area, of course. Well, technically Spittalfields, I guess, seeing as the Ten Bells is there.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                                What area of London is it in? And you call yourself a Sanctuary fan?

It's in Whitechapel area, of course. Well, technically Spittalfields, I guess, seeing as the Ten Bells is there.
                                *rollseyes*

Sorry! Now that you said it, I've smacked myself for forgetting *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                                X