Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
    Eve,

Thank You! I would really enjoy that a lot too, and you're so right, my carers are great, but time with just my fellow Amanda fans without needing to always explain to my carers what we're talking about would be good LOL, and as they're not really fans they would be taking a CP ticket and stopping a "real" fan from getting to go, thats also why I want to go by myself and not take a carer
    ((((((Eve)))))

Julia(samcarterrules)
    That would be great if we could sit together I would most certainly enjoy it
    And I know what you mean about your carers...they are great people but sometimes you need some Julia time eh
    And you are right...it would be much nicer to let another Amanda fan in...then a carer...and I will be there for you...that is if I get a ticket

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
    I want to sit at scari's table so I can tickle her while she's trying to talk to Amanda. And I want to sit at skydiver's table so that I can tease her likewise. And samcarterrules' table because she's a sweetheart and we can have fun making the others mess up their lines. And who else? Well, everyone really. Kat so that I can hug her *constantly* and make her turn five shades of red. Hee! And Ambermoon so that I can touch her credit card before it gets too hot to handle. There's more, I know there's more! Kliggy so I can see "SIPPY CUP '08"!!! Rune because she has THE. COOLEST. HAIR. She's so pretty. And also, oh, MAL because MAL always makes me giggle with her sense of humour. TracyJane because I adore her and love her tremendously - which wouldn't stop me from embarrassing her horribly while she's talking with Amanda, either. Then there'd be Spazzy who has to come and sit next to me (are there enough chairs? If not we can make some!), she'll fall asleep on my shoulder because she and tsax would've been up all night. We'll have to put something stronger than water in her sippy cup, I think! And I'm missing tonnes more, but I'm running out of posting space. Who else...oh, maybe young sophie because she's just lovely and so fun to laugh with! D'oh. Too many chairs... <sigh>

PS-> I still wear my little PUG charm from last year's GABIT. I thought it was so sweet and so special of Becky to make those all personal to us. I was talking about that for a good month afterwards!
    See and even if you don't get a ticket for the cocktail party there will be time enough to spend together...I don't really mind where I sit or with who... I maen they are all Amanda fans...so in the end it is worth getting to know them
    And I do want to meet the other GWers and Samandans...that will be so great to actually see them

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
    Re cocktail party...

The tables are for nine attendees and there's a spare seat for you know who.

When you get confirmation of your tickets you cam mail me with a list of people you want to sit with. If you have nine it's much easier for me cos I don't have to think about it!!

Julia-Samcarterules- It's absolutly no problem for you to attend on your own. We will even have a few stewards about who could run for your carer if you needed it. We can also provide assistance for someone to help you with your tray so you can all end up eating together at the same time!

The cocktail party is held in the photo/auto room, so it's fully accessible, nice wide doors and there's plenty of room on the tables round the edge. We had a lady with a scooter at last years and it was no problem at all.
    Just so you know, the ladies nearest the room we use for the cocktail party and next door reg are down steps so you have to use the Disabled loos round near the wessex room (the other side of the lobby to the room we use) Please remember that even if there is another function over there and it say private, you are allowed to use the disabled facilities.
    The ren is otherwise quite wheelchair friendly and our main hall has it's own facilities too!

So, do not panic... we've got your back.

Any specifics, please just e-mail [email protected] or pm us.

Becks
    I think this is great that people who are in a wheelchair also can attend Cause not everyone would think about that...it is great that you do!!!!

ok little question about the facilities myself: are the places where everything is held big?? I mean high sealing (sp?) and if there are people in there does it looks like it is crowded??? And are the exits close...easy to get out and all... Okay I know this sounds like a silly question but for me this is important

Comment

ok little question about the facilities myself: are the places where everything is held big?? I mean high sealing (sp?) and if there are people in there does it looks like it is crowded??? And are the exits close...easy to get out and all... Okay I know this sounds like a silly question but for me this is important
      well, there's only about a couple hundred people all total in the stage room (there are 3 main rooms... the stage one, the auto/phot one, the dealers room.)

the stage room has an elevated stage - hotel type, about 2 feet up off the floor - and seats arranged 20 across - with a center aisle about 6 feet wide between seats 10 and 11. and the go back....umm, i dunno how many rows.

if you're on the stage facing out, there is the control tables on the left...where teh audio stuff is, the left rows of seats, center aisle, right rows of seats, a wide aisle, some seats on the far right for non- attendees, like the hearing dog folks and the like

there's some tables at the back of the room and, at least to me, plenty of open space

the auto/photo room is crowd controlled. they call you for autos/photos by row number, so at the most are 20-40 people in that room at any givevn time, all seated in chiars around the perimeter with plenty of open space in the middle.

the dealer'sroom can be a bit crowded, just because there are 3-4 main groups of tables and the room is small

I'm guessing htat you have clausterphobic issues? I didn't feel closed or penned in...but that's me. not that i have a lot of patience for a crush,but it didnt' seem bad.

since the whole number of con attendees is, what? 2-300? that's the most number of folks you'll have to deal with. and the G4 wonderfully arrange things so there is minimal queueing. that's why they call photos and autos by row, which is 20 people at a time. and they call people as chairs open up, so it's more of a chair to chair shuffle, not a sit in the halls for hours crush
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

oh, and something else. there always seemed to be plenty of empty chairs in the back rows. i'm guessing this is by design.

so if sitting in your assigned seat is too crowded, i don't THINK there is an issue for you to sit further back where there is more room, as long as you're not taking someone else's seat. You can be in the room, but have a bit more personal space

there's assigned seating at the con, so no need to queue for 'good' seats. you have one assigned to you for the whole thing so you don't have to line up and wait it out....just arrive and go get your seat

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          well, there's only about a couple hundred people all total in the stage room (there are 3 main rooms... the stage one, the auto/phot one, the dealers room.)

the stage room has an elevated stage - hotel type, about 2 feet up off the floor - and seats arranged 20 across - with a center aisle about 6 feet wide between seats 10 and 11. and the go back....umm, i dunno how many rows.

if you're on the stage facing out, there is the control tables on the left...where teh audio stuff is, the left rows of seats, center aisle, right rows of seats, a wide aisle, some seats on the far right for non- attendees, like the hearing dog folks and the like

there's some tables at the back of the room and, at least to me, plenty of open space

the auto/photo room is crowd controlled. they call you for autos/photos by row number, so at the most are 20-40 people in that room at any givevn time, all seated in chiars around the perimeter with plenty of open space in the middle.

the dealer'sroom can be a bit crowded, just because there are 3-4 main groups of tables and the room is small

I'm guessing htat you have clausterphobic issues? I didn't feel closed or penned in...but that's me. not that i have a lot of patience for a crush,but it didnt' seem bad.

since the whole number of con attendees is, what? 2-300? that's the most number of folks you'll have to deal with. and the G4 wonderfully arrange things so there is minimal queueing. that's why they call photos and autos by row, which is 20 people at a time. and they call people as chairs open up, so it's more of a chair to chair shuffle, not a sit in the halls for hours crush
          Thanks Sky...and yes I do have claustrophobic issues...and for me it is a big deal...since until recently it controlled my life...I hardly go on trains or anything so this will be a big step for me So I need to know everything in advance a bit...I know I do have panick attacks a lot in public...and I want to try to prevent that...if it is possible of course...this does help me a lot. Actually the issue will be if we will all be in one room I know a lot of people are also an issue... even if it is only 200 for me that is a lot...
          I just need to know that if I feel panick coming up...I can go outside

Comment

when you get your tickets, talk to becky. Maybe they can be sure that you get a seat on the outside, so that you have 'open' on one side to enable you to get out with a minimal disruption.

at the very least, if folks know your issues ahead of time, then maybe they can do what they can to accomodate them. Just like getting the samandans at the same table and the such.

Gabit, in my experience, is very workable, you just need to give them a chance to do what they can.

IIRC, there is a decent amount of space at the back of the room so that if you start to feel the crush, you could retreat to the back and get some space while still being in the room and being able to see and hear what's going on

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
              Thanks Sky...and yes I do have claustrophobic issues...and for me it is a big deal...since until recently it controlled my life...I hardly go on trains or anything so this will be a big step for me So I need to know everything in advance a bit...I know I do have panick attacks a lot in public...and I want to try to prevent that...if it is possible of course...this does help me a lot. Actually the issue will be if we will all be in one room I know a lot of people are also an issue... even if it is only 200 for me that is a lot...
              I just need to know that if I feel panick coming up...I can go outside
              As Skydiver said, just let the G4 know what is going on and they will do everything they can to make it easier for you. I believe you can leave the room and re-enter as long as you have your AT3 ID on for the stewards to check.
              sigpic

Comment

Re the Main Hall

The main Hall allows for movement to the back if people are feeling hemmed in or claustrophobic at the front or in the middle. Provided you don't take another person's seat and ensure it is an empty one in the back row for instance then you can move to the back if anyone feels uncomfortable. If in doubt, check with one of the stewards.

There are toilets within the main hall to the side so you don't have to leave and a table with water jugs and glasses free for attendees at any time at the back.

Seriously, moving to the back to get some "air" or just to feel better during any of the Hall activities isn't a problem.

Becky handled the cocktail party seating and I did the Hall seating plan for
                AT2 and may more than likely do AT3's and I contacted anyone who had any problems mentioned on their form to see how best we could help, including if anyone stated that they wanted to sit with a particular group. We cannot move people forward if their ticket number is high but we can move people a row back for example to be with a friend behind them if both parties agree. However as you can understand, every Samandan can't sit together in the Hall unless you all register at exactly the same time!

(Now that would take a coordinated effort!)

Hope this information all helps. We do try to accommodate everyone's needs but you have to let us know if you have any issues such as claustrophobia or crowding issues or mobility problems when you register so we can ensure that you are looked after properly in the best seat for you.

Julia
                G4
                To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                  Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any airlines that offer cheap flights from Scotland to London Heathrow? Last year I came by train but that was very expensive and not easy with my wheelchair.
                  If you book far enough in advance, British Airways are pretty reasonable- I always use them. The only other airline that operates domestic flights into Heathrow is BMI- and as I haven't ever used them, I can't comment.

None of the budget airlines go to Heathrow- it must be more expensive to park thier planes, or something.

Okay, now I have an image of a grumpy middle aged traffic warden slapping a ticket on a Ryanair jet, while muttering "You can't park that there. Big fine for you!"

I hate what happens to my brain during my week of nightshift, I really do, lol.

Hope that helps, Julia.

AT4- coming in 2009

'Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.' - General MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                    Re the Main Hall

The main Hall allows for movement to the back if people are feeling hemmed in or claustrophobic at the front or in the middle. Provided you don't take another person's seat and ensure it is an empty one in the back row for instance then you can move to the back if anyone feels uncomfortable. If in doubt, check with one of the stewards.

Seriously, moving to the back to get some "air" or just to feel better during any of the Hall activities isn't a problem.

Hope this information all helps. We do try to accommodate everyone's needs but you have to let us know if you have any issues such as claustrophobia or crowding issues or mobility problems when you register so we can ensure that you are looked after properly in the best seat for you.

Julia
                    G4
                    I'm going to echo Julia here - last year I was in the middle of a row and started feeling a bit crowded. After the first panel I moved to the back row and sat there for the rest of the events in the main hall. With the size of the room sitting in back I still had a good view of the stage and was really able to enjoy myself.

Oh and the Stewards at this con are some of the best and friendliest of any con I have ever attend - they are more than willing to help out and answer any questions you may have.
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

365 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!

Gosh you guys have been busy since yesterday morning!!! Tons of useful information!!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                        I want to sit at scari's table so I can tickle her while she's trying to talk to Amanda. And I want to sit at skydiver's table so that I can tease her likewise. And samcarterrules' table because she's a sweetheart and we can have fun making the others mess up their lines. And who else? Well, everyone really. Kat so that I can hug her *constantly* and make her turn five shades of red. Hee! And Ambermoon so that I can touch her credit card before it gets too hot to handle. There's more, I know there's more! Kliggy so I can see "SIPPY CUP '08"!!! Rune because she has THE. COOLEST. HAIR. She's so pretty. And also, oh, MAL because MAL always makes me giggle with her sense of humour. TracyJane because I adore her and love her tremendously - which wouldn't stop me from embarrassing her horribly while she's talking with Amanda, either. Then there'd be Spazzy who has to come and sit next to me (are there enough chairs? If not we can make some!), she'll fall asleep on my shoulder because she and tsax would've been up all night. We'll have to put something stronger than water in her sippy cup, I think! And I'm missing tonnes more, but I'm running out of posting space. Who else...oh, maybe young sophie because she's just lovely and so fun to laugh with! D'oh. Too many chairs... <sigh>

PS-> I still wear my little PUG charm from last year's GABIT. I thought it was so sweet and so special of Becky to make those all personal to us. I was talking about that for a good month afterwards!
                        LOL!! I make you giggle

Comment

Originally posted by SEREN LWCH (MAL) View Post
                          LOL!! I make you giggle
                          Yep! And I love ya for it. You are so fun!!!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Kelspook View Post
                            If you book far enough in advance, British Airways are pretty reasonable- I always use them. The only other airline that operates domestic flights into Heathrow is BMI- and as I haven't ever used them, I can't comment.

None of the budget airlines go to Heathrow- it must be more expensive to park thier planes, or something.

Okay, now I have an image of a grumpy middle aged traffic warden slapping a ticket on a Ryanair jet, while muttering "You can't park that there. Big fine for you!"

Hope that helps, Julia.
                            I've travelled with BMI and their flights are good too. I think their prices are comparable with BA, but of course, it all depends on when you book.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                              I'm going to echo Julia here - last year I was in the middle of a row and started feeling a bit crowded. After the first panel I moved to the back row and sat there for the rest of the events in the main hall. With the size of the room sitting in back I still had a good view of the stage and was really able to enjoy myself.
                              there's usually no issue with moving backwards. You might even be able to grab a chair and pull it back against the wall - as long as there's no issues with blocking any aisles or any movement.

the problems usually stem from folks who have a ticket in row g for example, deciding that that empty seat in row c looks good and they move forward itno something that's not thiers.

And i think that's what julia was talking about when she was talking about folks rearranging to sit by each other.

let's say i have row c, mini row g and Tsax row N....tsax and mini can't move up by me in row c....but me and mini can move back to sit by txax in row N...presuming we all agree.

so you can't use a person that books first to 'want to sit next to....' to score a 'better' seat. you can't trade 'up' but you can trade 'down'

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kelspook View Post

Hope that helps, Julia.
                                Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                                I've travelled with BMI and their flights are good too. I think their prices are comparable with BA, but of course, it all depends on when you book.
                                Thanks guys that does help a lot, I know BA will take my wheelchair for free but I'll check with both BA and BMI

Julia(samcarterrules)
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Working...
                                X