GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    We've been talking and joking about the bar bill, but, seriously, how many of you are cigarette smokers? Better yet, how many are non-smokers? Do you all have any feelings or thoughts about this?
    Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
    I don't think smoking should be a divisive factor among us.Whatever the Bistro and bar rules are,I, for one, suggest that any smokers pop outdoors for a cigarette or wait till they can return to their rooms.
    I am a nonsmoker, but have been around smokers my entire life and it does not bother me at all. Us nonsmokers are very spoiled here in the US because there is practically no public building that you can smoke in anymore.

If smoking is allowed in the Bistro, I don't have a problem with anyone smoking at the table/tables. I have faith in everyone, smokers and nonsmokers, not to be a jerk whatever their preference is.
    sigpic

Comment

71 DAYS TO GO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
        Yeah I think because I'm flying out of Dallas, I'm pretty much stuck with either American or BA. I'd really like to go with BA. I think for two tickets it will cost us like $1500.00 for a premiere economy seat; but my husband travels quite a bit and his company does a lot of business with American so we can get two first class tickets on American for $2000.00. I'm just debating with myself if the extra $500 is worth it for first class. I'm assuming it would be, but then that's money I can't be spending at the con.

Kat
        Kat, I know you have issues with flying. This is a long trip and I think you should make yourself as comfortable and relaxed as possible (and sure hubby would agree). The first-class cabin will be more quiet and spacious and you should really consider that option with AA. I just traveled BA last September, three across, in "premiere economy" with a baby and daughter ... it was not pleasant. I envied the first-class passengers!

Good luck whatever you do! CG

Comment

Thanks for all your input on the smoking/non-smoking issue. To clarify, I did not raise this question to go on a personal crusade but out of curiosity and to have a sense of what to expect in the hotel. I've never attended a con before and you've given good feedback.

Comment

(((((((((((CG)))))))))))) I'm glad you asked,actually.Curiosity is good,imo .
            I hadn't previously given the ciggie issue any thought,as I just tend to find somewhere dry, outdoors, during evenings out, if I get too desperate !

I had a good look around the web to see what London restaurant/bar policies are....and got almost nowhere.All I could find was opinions ,recommendations and reports,but no hard facts.

I've ended up rather confused .Shall I ring the hotel chain and try to find out what the Renaissance policies are regarding the Bistro and bar areas ?

So far we can assume no smoking during the scheduled panels/photo session/autographs....but I'm wondering if that includes the discos ?

*Thinks*

*Goes off to think some more*
            Last edited by Bagpuss; 19 August 2005, 06:38 AM. Reason: to keep it briefer !
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Happy Birthday Bev!

sigpic

Comment

Yep..
                Happy Birthday to Bev !

(Joyous return to Amanda/Sam in S9 too....roll on Oct/November.*Sigh*)

I'm currently upgrading my list of q's for Amanda...well,it's something to do.

Ten weeks to go....Mal can do the proper countdown later !

Comment

Ten weeks?
                  sigpic

Comment

I think that it looks longer in weeks instead of days,actually !

*mopes*

Comment

Yep..
                      Happy Birthday to Bev !

(Joyous return to Amanda/Sam in S9 too....roll on Oct/November.*Sigh*)

I'm currently upgrading my list of q's for Amanda...well,it's something to do.

70 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yay ! Much better stated in days !

Comment

Yay ! Much better stated in days !
                          Yeah. Makes it go faster!

Comment

The smoking policy for GABIT is No smoking in any of the function rooms, that's main hall, cocktail party, Photos autos and the discos.

There is a large public lobby area in the hotel where the main bar is which you have to wal through to get from the main hall to the other rooms. This I belive is a smoking area.

GABIT has no control over this area as it is a general area for all guests of the hotel.

i will check But I would think the bistro has smoking and non smoking areas as most resteraunts do in the UK, but I will check this out.

GABIT would prefer that smokers did so outside the building so that non smokers don't have to run the gauntlet through the clouds to get from place to another. however the lobby area is very large and open plan so hopefully anone who is smoking won't generate enough fumes to fill the place up!

Hope that answers you questions.

Becks
                            GABIT EVENTS.
                            10 weeks? is that all?

Comment

Originally posted by becky_preen
                              The smoking policy for GABIT is No smoking in any of the function rooms, that's main hall, cocktail party, Photos autos and the discos.
                              Thank you.Can that be added into your F.A.Q. for future events ?
                              (Yes,I know : early days...)
                              There is a large public lobby area in the hotel where the main bar is which you have to wal through to get from the main hall to the other rooms. This I belive is a smoking area.
                              Most hotels apparently permit smoking in the lobbies/foyers and bar areas,unless they are a stated non-smoking zone.
                              GABIT has no control over this area as it is a general area for all guests of the hotel.
                              Good point.There'll be other guests present during the whole w/e,so if there are any problems where non-smokers feel engulfed,there's a good chance it won't be smoke coming from any Gabit guests.
                              *Prays that there won't be any cigar smoke anywhere..it makes me throw up !*
                              i will check But I would think the bistro has smoking and non smoking areas as most resteraunts do in the UK, but I will check this out.
                              So far,none of us GW Gabit-goers have stated any wish to smoke in the bistro during the meal.
                              Best to check it out though.As I previously said,I don't want the GW get-together to be uncomfortable for anyone to attend.
                              GABIT would prefer that smokers did so outside the building so that non smokers don't have to run the gauntlet through the clouds to get from place to another. however the lobby area is very large and open plan so hopefully anone who is smoking won't generate enough fumes to fill the place up!
                              I'd hardly expect Gabit to endorse the habit.
                              I also expect the Hotel will have plenty extractor fans,for any smoke generated by smokers from the Convention groups ,who prefer to enjoy a cigarette indoors,with their drink of choice, in the bar area.

(As I previously stated in another post,I'll go outside rather than impose my smoke on the rest.No biggie to me,as for me that involves no change to my usual stategy !)

Becks
                              GABIT EVENTS.
                              10 weeks? is that all?
                              Answered most of mine.

Yep.Ten weeks,or 70 days...now for a return to planning,fun-scheming and trying to come up with interesting questions for Amanda.
                              She's the reason everyone bought their tickets..and thanks for the work you Gat4 people have put into organising it all.

*Sends VR Chocs and flowers to you all *

Comment

Becks
                                GABIT EVENTS.
                                10 weeks? is that all?
                                Thanks Becky
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X