GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kliggins
    The Smurf Song!!!! You nominate that and I am not hanging out with you. Why don't you suggest the H.R. Pufnstuff theme while you are at it.
    Relax..I won't do the dirty on you all and ask for the Smurf Song !
    (However tempting.... )
    *Ponders the Pufnstuff idea instead*

OR ! I could tape some ditties from my "Bagpuss" DVD,and rewrite the lyrics ....altogether now :

"We will fix it,we will dish it.
    We'll get tipsy and pass out...."

Any better ??

Um.....er.....ah......I will have to get back to you on that one.
    Ha ! Gotcha...!
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
      *Nods* I quite like some of the BeeGees's oldies.Ah,memories of the 70's !
      The better memories include....Chic Corporation !!
      Must request "Le Freak" if nobody else does .

Yeah..right !

ROTFL ! I was just thinking we might start a new dance craze if we overdo the refreshments,or mix our drinkies .
      Wonder if reeling around in circles,blindly groping at other dancers,singing loudly to every song ,and finally ending up gripping onto the floor to keep the room steady,might cause offence to other Gabit-Goers ?

If I were American,I'd be definitely pleading the "5th"....*Cough*

Anyway..time to do the Countdown.
      74 days to Gabit !
      ok this con is going to be WILD! Wonder if AT, Heathrow, and London is ready for this......

(((((((fhb)))))))) Thanks for doing the count down xxx

Comment

73 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!

Comment

Just curious but has anyone from the states bought their airfare yet? I'm sure it's because I don't fly often, but I can't believe how much extra charges they put on a plane tickets anymore. It's like almost $250 on top of the cost of the ticket.

Also has anyone flown via American overseas? Just curious how inferior they are to BA?

Comment

Originally posted by SEREN LWCH (MAL)
            ok this con is going to be WILD! Wonder if AT, Heathrow, and London is ready for this......
            Oh,I think they'll cope fine ,Mal .
            Better than I did just now posting my requests to the DJ anyway...I merrily posted the tracks.Then I wondered what the lyrics actually were for one of them.
            *Shudder*
            My daughter's tape doesn't include the full version...best I say no more !
            (((((((fhb)))))))) Thanks for doing the count down xxx
            Nice safe job.No probs ! (((((((((((((MAL)))))))))))))

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              Just curious but has anyone from the states bought their airfare yet? I'm sure it's because I don't fly often, but I can't believe how much extra charges they put on a plane tickets anymore. It's like almost $250 on top of the cost of the ticket.

Also has anyone flown via American overseas? Just curious how inferior they are to BA?
              I have looked into airfare, but not bought the ticket yet. About $850.00 for me without taxes with two stops since I live out in the middle of nowhere.

It could be worse; Gabit could have been planned in the middle of the tourist season.

I have flown American overseas, I am pretty sure. They were not bad as I remember, but I am not picky. I just want them to get me there safely, that is all I ask.
              Last edited by Kliggins; 17 August 2005, 03:07 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

73 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!
                72 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

I've flown BA each time to London and they treat you well (just hope their baggage handlers don't decide to go off on strike again that weekend).

I've never flown AA. The concern for me is booking ahead too early and then, heaven forbid, AT having to cancel! This is what happened to me last year and I had three plane tickets which were non-refundable and had to go to Plan B! Also, what with the terror alerts and what not, it may affect London tourism briefly in the Fall and perhaps fares will come down.

I know you're nervous about flying ... I would recommend BA because the service is usually excellent. And we do know you want that complementary cocktail to take the edge off!

Anyone out there know of any travel deals floating around for great rates in Fall, please pass the links on! Thanks. Kliggs, if you're traveling from west coast, and getting an $850 roundtrip ... that sounds pretty good to me.

Comment

Here's something that just crossed my mind. I am a non-smoker ... Mal, you've checked out the hotel already. What's the smoking policy at this con? Will the presentation rooms and all the venues for AT have non-smoking zones? This has become an area of focus in the states. Smoking in public has come under much tighter control in recent years.

We've been talking and joking about the bar bill, but, seriously, how many of you are cigarette smokers? Better yet, how many are non-smokers? Do you all have any feelings or thoughts about this?

Guess we'll have to ask Becky and Julia when they drop by.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      Here's something that just crossed my mind. I am a non-smoker ... Mal, you've checked out the hotel already. What's the smoking policy at this con? Will the presentation rooms and all the venues for AT have non-smoking zones? This has become an area of focus in the states. Smoking in public has come under much tighter control in recent years.
                      I think it was Sue who checked the hotel,and Mal reposted the info ? I'll recheck.ETA : Post 290.Info reposted from the Gabit events list.

Public smoking is very much an issue in the UK too,CG,so panic not.
                      I'd be shocked if smoking was allowed within the Convention rooms.
                      Smoking where prohibited carries monetary fines and frankly,shouldn't be an issue .We're all going to see Amanda and I for one wouldn't think anyone would be inclined to risk ejection by the stewards for lighting up !
                      We've been talking and joking about the bar bill, but, seriously, how many of you are cigarette smokers? Better yet, how many are non-smokers? Do you all have any feelings or thoughts about this?
                      I don't think smoking should be a divisive factor among us.Whatever the Bistro and bar rules are,I, for one, suggest that any smokers pop outdoors for a cigarette or wait till they can return to their rooms.

I am a wannabee non-smoker. I've never inflicted my bad habit on non-smokers,nor smoked in mixed smoker /non smoker gatherings.I usually smoke outdoors and if the weather's bad, I smoke in my kitchen under set self-imposed rules..Dining room door shut.Back door open.No kids present.

I don't want this thread to descend into pro/anti smoking lobbying,but it's a good idea to raise the subject,imo. I don't want anyone to feel unwanted or unwelcome at our gathering over the issue of smoking.
                      If anyone objects to even the smell of tobacco from breath/clothing, then I'm afraid that'll be unavoidable.Statistically,there are bound to be quite a few smokers attending the Con.

Good idea.(Or drop them an e-mail ?)
                      My guess is that smoking will only be permitted in our rooms (if already arranged when booking).Or outdoors .Hopefully it'll be ok to smoke in the Carpark.
                      As for the Bistro and Bar,there are moves afoot to ban public smoking in bars/restaurants to bring the rest of the U.K. into line with Scotland.
                      I assure you,I don't enjoy passive smoking myself,especially during meals,so non-smokers won't get any hassle from me.

JMO.
                      Last edited by Bagpuss; 18 August 2005, 05:41 AM. Reason: See "ETA"..;)

Comment

I have looked into airfare, but not bought the ticket yet. About $850.00 for me without taxes with two stops since I live out in the middle of nowhere.

It could be worse; Gabit could have been planned in the middle of the tourist season.

I have flown American overseas, I am pretty sure. They were not bad as I remember, but I am not picky. I just want them to get me there safely, that is all I ask.
                        I have flown Delta across the pond, and let me tell you, I would never do THAT again. American has GOT to be better.

Comment

Yeah it was Sue who scouted the hotel. I just c&ped it here. All conventions i've been to have had no smoking in the convention hall. Dont worry Unless you are a smoker

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                            I have flown Delta across the pond, and let me tell you, I would never do THAT again. American has GOT to be better.
                            I flew with United Airlines to and from Vermont this year.

Comment

Yeah I think because I'm flying out of Dallas, I'm pretty much stuck with either American or BA. I'd really like to go with BA. I think for two tickets it will cost us like $1500.00 for a premiere economy seat; but my husband travels quite a bit and his company does a lot of business with American so we can get two first class tickets on American for $2000.00. I'm just debating with myself if the extra $500 is worth it for first class. I'm assuming it would be, but then that's money I can't be spending at the con.

Kat

Comment

I just checked British Airways; gotta love living in the toolies. $908.00 for round trip leaving a day later than I wanted to. Probably will stick with American.

Sorry Kat not to be more specific. If something had been really horrible about the flight I would have remembered. I basically just want to get on the plane, go to sleep and wake up in London with my luggage there too. So far, American has done all those things. A boring traveler I am, you see.

Addendum: I just checked the American Airlines Website www.aa.com and the fare is down to $703.00 before taxes for the days and flights I wanted. I am so tempted to book right now.
                                Last edited by Kliggins; 18 August 2005, 05:21 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X