GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateGipsy
    Even someplace as far away as Edinburgh is only a day's trip on the train (that is a day to get there not a day trip!).
    *cough* How far away do you think Edinburgh is?

It only takes 4:30 - 5:00 hours by train. Here is an example of London/Edinburgh train journey.

If you fly from Heathrow to Edinburgh it only takes 1:20 hrs.

I'm practically your neighbour, GG.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
      Hey all!

I have been thinking about what world record we could go for, and to this end I took a wander through the Guinness site for inspiration.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...ubcategoryid=8

So how do you all fancy dead cricket spitting or cockroach eating?

Or maybe going for the distance record for shooting a marshmallow out of a nose? Or loudest burp?

If you fancy some danger how about catching the most arrows in a minute? That should be easy, we only have to beat 33.

Anybody else had any ideas?
      *chomp* Excuse me whilst I just finish off this cockroach (a little mid-afternoon snack)

I like the idea of the arrow catching, although we may have to put some newspapers on the floor as we don't want to be messing up the hotel carpet with blood stains.

Originally posted by becky_preen
      never fear we have been hatching a cunning plan... Baldrick would be proud

It's clean, fun and involves props but I can' say anymore

Becks
      Gosh Golly Gee! What a pity, as I've been working on the arrow thing. There have been one or two little accidents, but all is well....as long as you don't ask me to drink anything (although I could get a summer job as a garden sprinkler).
      Last edited by dipsofjazz; 10 March 2006, 04:54 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz

It only takes 4:30 - 5:00 hours by train. Here is an example of London/Edinburgh train journey.

Isn't 4-5 hours the whole day?
        sigpic

Comment

This may seem like a very silly question, but is First ScotRail a part of the British NationalRail system? I'm in the process of planning our UK trip and we were hoping to get up to Scotland, Wales and possibly Ireland if time permits. Most of our traveling will be via the rail system so we are looking into purchasing a train pass that will allow us jump on and off of the train wherever we want, but I've just come across First ScotRail system and couldn't find any information stating if this was a separate rail system or if it was all part of the same train system.

Maybe someone who has some insight can discuss it with me via PM or email?

Thanks a bunch,
          Kat
          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 09 March 2006, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by becky_preen
            never fear we have been hatching a cunning plan... Baldrick would be proud

It's clean, fun and involves props but I can' say anymore

Becks
            Why am I suddenly very, very scared?
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins
              Isn't 4-5 hours the whole day?
              *wonders what Kliggs is doing the rest of the 24 hours in a day, then remembers that she's wondering about Kliggs*

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                This may seem like a very silly question, but is First ScotRail a part of the British NationalRail system? I'm in the process of planning our UK trip and we were hoping to get up to Scotland, Wales and possibly Ireland if time permits. Most of our traveling will be via the rail system so we are looking into purchasing a train pass that will allow us jump on and off of the train wherever we want, but I've just come across First ScotRail system and couldn't find any information stating if this was a separate rail system or if it was all part of the same train system.

Maybe someone who has some insight can discuss it with me via PM or email?

Thanks a bunch,
                Kat
                Here is ScotRail's web site. It's all you ever wanted to know about First ScotRail. *yawn*

This is the site to go to for all your train-like needs. I had a wee look to see if I could find information about passes, but failed miserably. I'll keep looking to see if I can find out more. Perhaps one of our Gabiteers of the commuting persuasion may be willing to talk to a railway-type person the next time they travel, and find out about passes for you.
                sigpic

Comment

Here is ScotRail's web site. It's all you ever wanted to know about First ScotRail. *yawn*

This is the site to go to for all your train-like needs. I had a wee look to see if I could find information about passes, but failed miserably. I'll keep looking to see if I can find out more. Perhaps one of our Gabiteers of the commuting persuasion may be willing to talk to a railway-type person the next time they travel, and find out about passes for you.
                  Thanks for the sites, Bev. I'll check them out.

This is the site I've found for purchasing a BritRail pass if you are traveling from the US.

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/passes/uk_index.htm

I just didn't want to assume that ScotRail was a part of the British NationalRail system seeing as I didn't actually read anything that stated this. However, I noticed on the Britrail Scottish Freedom Pass page it states that the pass includes ScotRail, Great North Eastern Railway and Virgin trains so I'm assuming if you buy a pass that covers Scotland, England and Wales that all the trains will be included.

It would probably be wise to call these people and have a little Q&A chat before I actually purchase a pass.

Thanks again for your help,
                  Kat

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    Thanks for the sites, Bev. I'll check them out.

This is the site I've found for purchasing a BritRail pass if you are traveling from the US.

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/passes/uk_index.htm

I just didn't want to assume that ScotRail was a part of the British NationalRail system seeing as I didn't actually read anything that stated this. However, I noticed on the Britrail Scottish Freedom Pass page it states that the pass includes ScotRail, Great North Eastern Railway and Virgin trains so I'm assuming if you buy a pass that covers Scotland, England and Wales that all the trains will be included.

I would probably be wise to call these people and have a little Q&A chat before I actually purchase a pass.

Thanks again for your help,
                    Kat
                    You'll probably get better information from your site than from the ones I gave you. A travel agent will probably be able to give you all the information you'll need.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
                      *wonders what Kliggs is doing the rest of the 24 hours in a day, then remembers that she's wondering about Kliggs*

Welcome Back Feli.

There are 24 hours in a day?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Feli

I think she's practising shooting marshmallows out of her nose so she can beat the world record....and since I remember the size of her nose, I think she'll probably succeed.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think she's practising shooting marshmallows out of her nose so she can beat the world record....and since I remember the size of her nose, I think she'll probably succeed.
                          *ga....ga..... I have a very small, delicate nose. Definitely not large enough to shoot marshmallows out.
                          sigpic

Comment

*ga....ga..... I have a very small, delicate nose. Definitely not large enough to shoot marshmallows out.
                            I have photographic evidence of your little buddy shoving a marshmallow up your *cough* delicate nose...

sigpic

Comment

I have photographic evidence of your little buddy shoving a marshmallow up your *cough* delicate nose...

That's not me, my hair is not that dark and my feet not that big!
                              sigpic

Comment

That's not me, my hair is not that dark and my feet not that big!
                                And yet you fail to mention your nose
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X