GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigh. If only I could win the lottery!

I thought of something else that is different between the US and the UK and tripped me up the first time I went to a restaurant in the US! Here, in the UK, an Entree is what we call the starter or appetiser. However in the US it is what they call the main course!

So I had a really monty pythonesque exchange with the waiter:

Me: To start, I'll have the soup.
    Waiter: Excellent. And for your entree?
    Me, puzzled, hadn't I just said?: I'll have the soup.
    Waiter, being patient: ma'am most people are having the soup for the starter
    Me, getting exasperated: Yes I'll have the soup to start with.
    Waiter: That's great. And what would you like for your entree?

Hee hee that went on for a bit before someone finally realised what was happening!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
      Hooray !
      I admire your stamina..pre-Con crud and you still manage to keep on task.
      *Applauds Julia and Gabit4*
      Ach, I fell behind a bit this week with this darn bug, because of course I have a schedule! (As if you hadn't guessed that one) <looks at Guest Services clip board>.

Seriously we all have specific tasks and projects and with so much to do in the preparation for AT2, if I don't keep pretty much to what I intend to do in any given week I'd be a complete wreck by November.

Of course I then suddenly have a bright idea and go and add other projects like the "Meet Amanda" one to throw a spanner into my honed schedule, so I'm my own worst enemy! LOL!

Julia
      x
      To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
        Say it isn't so! There's a sneaky 'S' stealer somewhere!
        No sneaky "S" stealer, just an "S"Dropper.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR
          Ach, I fell behind a bit this week with this darn bug, because of course I have a schedule! (As if you hadn't guessed that one) <looks at Guest Services clip board>.

Seriously we all have specific tasks and projects and with so much to do in the preparation for AT2, if I don't keep pretty much to what I intend to do in any given week I'd be a complete wreck by November.

Of course I then suddenly have a bright idea and go and add other projects like the "Meet Amanda" one to throw a spanner into my honed schedule, so I'm my own worst enemy! LOL!

Julia
          x
          I'm sure you'll get there, Julia. From what I've heard, you're an amazing organiser! Gabit's in safe hands.

Anyway, as long as Amanda's there. I'll be happy if it takes place in a cardboard box. I can make my own entertainment.

Simple things for simple minds.
          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy

I thought of something else that is different between the US and the UK and tripped me up the first time I went to a restaurant in the US! Here, in the UK, an Entree is what we call the starter or appetiser. However in the US it is what they call the main course!

Hee hee that went on for a bit before someone finally realised what was happening!
            That sounds fabulous! I wish I could have been a fly on the wall! Never had an experience like that. But I last went to the US when I was 17. The time before that I was about 10 and got really upset when I asked for chips and was given a bag of crisps.

Those were in the days when the only American TV I had ever seen was Star Trek and had no idea that chips were called fries in America.

Comment

LOL! I like eating out in the US. Though i find the amount on the plates a bit much for me.

I remember my first couple of hours in Vermont last May. I wanted something to eat, but not much. So Ruralstar and her hubbs took me to a small resturant, and i ordered soup and side salad. The soup was just right. The salad was in a bowl and I was having difficulty eating it out of the bowl it came in. So the waitress bought me a plate. The salad filled the plate! it had been packed in hard. Rurals hubbs was laughing so much at my expression of shock that Rural had to slap him to make him stop!

The deli's are nice though. We'd buy a large sandwich, and that would be big enough for lunch for 2 of us!

283 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes, I found the portions in the US way way way too big too! It makes me wonder what they think of our portions in the UK?!
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, I found the portions in the US way way way too big too! It makes me wonder what they think of our portions in the UK?!
                  given the sucky exchange rate? probably i'll feel that i gotta pay a ton for a itty bitty amount of food
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    given the sucky exchange rate? probably i'll feel that i gotta pay a ton for a itty bitty amount of food
                    English prices are extortionate anyway. We pay too much for everything, crappy exchange rate or not.

Comment

I wasn't too disappointed with the portion sizes, but as Skydiver said I was suprised by the amount I paid for everything. It's like the meal we had in the Hotel. I think the meal came to L25 with a drink which is nearly $50.00. I probably could have gone just about anywhere around here and gotten the same amount of food for a quarter of the price.

Comment

282 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Happy Birthday Becky!

sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday Becky! Hope it's a good one
                            LizWhite.net

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                              Same here. I'm a student and amongst everything else, I've forked out for GABIT, for my trip to Lyon, I have Semester two coming up with books etc.... so French box sets are pretty much on the bottom of my list of priorities.
                              True..the books alone will set you back a tidy sum.
                              Tbh,we've been saving towards the kids' "College/Uni Fund" since they were born,as we don't want them to end up with a whacking great debt millstone round their neck .
                              I doubt it'll be anywhere near enough to save them from borrowing,as education/accomm costs are steep and getting steeper..but it's a start.
                              So say we all !
                              LOL at the entr&#233;e story.

Originally posted by JuliaR

Julia
                              x
                              ((((((((((((((Julia)))))))))))) You may be your "own worst enemy",as normally R&R is the best way to get rid of the crud quickly..but you and the Team's hard work and slick scheduling made Gabit1 a wonderful success,and Amanda couldn't have had a more loyal ,trustworthy and efficient unit around her.
                              Kudos to you all ..and get well soon !

AT2 will be even better,imo .Good luck with the "Meet Amanda" project.
                              (Wonder what she'll prank you and Becks with this time around though ? )

I tend to agree with Sky,TJ and Kat.My brother migrated to the US many years ago.Every time he and his American wife and their family come to the UK they get a huge shock to the system.
                              I'll never forget the time we all went out for a meal .
                              Bro sent his fillet steak back to the kitchen as he refused to pay main meal prices for a meal he regarded as a starter .
                              His wife asked the waiter for a magnifying glass so she could find her chicken among the fries and limp salad.
                              I just sat quietly waiting for the ground to open up and swallow me,as it was my idea to go out and I'd thought the portions were ok at the Steak House !

Kat : Re the Gabit1 meal : supposedly the price we paid was for "all we could fit on our plate".
                              Maybe we were mostly too self conscious to fill up ? Just because that chef only doled out a couple of slices of meat didn't mean we had to settle for that.
                              Shoulda pigged out while we had the chance.Mmm..dessert !

Bar food portions/quality were great though.I'm still planning to have the Steak sandwich Becky recommended,if it's on the menu come November .
                              *drools*

Speaking of Becky....

Happy Birthday to you,Becks !!
                              Last edited by Bagpuss; 07 February 2006, 01:31 AM.
                              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Happy Birthday
                                Becky

Comment

Working...
                                X