GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JuliaR
    Laugh????? I've never laughed so much across a weekend as we did (except perhaps at AT1) !! And the plans we've made for all you guys coming to AT2!! Wow! It's going to be quite an Event! )

Julia
    G4
    (still recovering from sleep deprivation across a G4/senior staff weekend)
    Details!!! You ladies are as mean as my husband...giving little hints to get us all excited and then making us wait months in agony wondering what cool things await us. Well should one of the lovely G4 ladies feel a desire to whisper a few tidbits into my ear ....I'll be waiting here patiently. Ok, well maybe patient is not the right word. Is there a word that describes frantically jumping up and down, clapping my hands, with a giddy look upon my face?

Kat
    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 01 February 2006, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Details!!! You people are as bad as my husband...giving little hints to get us all excited and then making us wait months in agony wondering what cool things await us. Well should of the lovely G4 ladies feel a desire to whisper a few tidbits into my ear ....I'll be waiting here patiently. Ok, well maybe patient is not the right word. Is there a word that describes frantically jumping up and down, clapping my hands, with a giddy look upon my face?

Kat
      LOL! Me too. The word hyper comes to mind
      sigpic

Comment

Sorry ladies. Need to know basis.. <g> Anyway if we told you everything that's planned it wouldn't be a surprise now would it? Patience..patience, only nine odd months to go. <evil grin>

Julia
        G4
        To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rune
          Yay for Cornish Pasties, Eccles Cakes, Dundee Cake, Bath Buns, Cadburys Flakes and more, more, more

Fish n chips too of course, I've been having fun trawling through my copy of Time Out's Cheap Eats in London and they've named a couple of the best places for 'em along with the very traditional pie n mash n liquor (that's liquor as in a kind of parsley sauce not the hard stuff) and the once staple of the people stewed / jellied eels (which I am soooo gonna pass on.)

And wow, it's been a long time since I had a Snowball ... it's lemonade and advocaat isn't it if I remember right.
          Hmm, I don't think I've ever tried any of the yummy deserts you've mentioned. I feel as if I've truly missing out.

Someone's going to have to give me a list of common drinks in the UK, other than ale as I'm not a big ale drinker, because I felt as if all the bartenders were laughing at my orders last time I was there. In one pub, I thought I was being nice by just ordering a screwdriver( orange juice and vodka) and it took me five minutes to finally get my drink because the bartender kept asking me what kind of orange juice I wanted. I must have sounded like an idiot... 'Umm I'm not sure...freshly squeezed is fine, concentrated, anything you get out of a box or bottle. I have no clue what brands you have here.'

Then my husband made the mistake of asking for a mudslide at dinner one night. First he asked the waitress if they made them to which she said she'd have to check with the bartender. Then she came back and asked what was in the drink and my husband informed her it really wasn't a problem we would just take a sprite. She politely said it wasn't a problem at all and went back to the bartender. Then the head waiter came over and asked us where we had heard of the drink and said it would just be a few minutes. Then finally after about ten minutes, the bartender brought the drink to us and said he had never heard of the drink before, but he managed to find a recipe for it up on the internet. We thanked him for being so nice and tipped him generously. My husband was really impressed that they would go to so much trouble trying to make him the drink. When the bill finally came around, I just looked at the cost of the drink and laughed out loud. They charged us nearly L2 for each shot of alcohol they put into the drink and the total cost for his lovely mudslide was L12 or $24. I told my husband, "I hope you really enjoyed that drink, because it cost more than my entire meal."

For those of you who are not familiar with mudslides, it's like an alcoholic milkshake.

Normally it's blended with crushed ice, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, two scoops of chocolate ice cream, 1.5 oz of Kaluha, 1.5 oz of vodka, 1.5oz of Bailey's Irish Cream, and 2oz of cream.

Kat
          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 01 February 2006, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Uh oh you really don't want to go ordering cocktails in the UK. Or at least be sure of the pricing before you do. They can be hideously expensive.

Common drinks? Well, I've never been an ale drinker either. What you guys call beer is called lager here. Anything that is served cold with bubbles in it is a lager. Legally it isn't allowed to be called a beer.

I can't believe you had such trouble with orange juice. I nearly always get an orange juice in bars here (as I don't tend to drink) and I've never had that problem.

One problem I did have when I first arrived in the UK was the seemingly non-existance of ginger ale. Until I found out that most bars/pubs referred to it by its most common brand name, Canada Dry. Once I started asking for a Canada Dry please I was fine.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
              One problem I did have when I first arrived in the UK was the seemingly non-existance of ginger ale. Until I found out that most bars/pubs referred to it by its most common brand name, Canada Dry. Once I started asking for a Canada Dry please I was fine.
              That's good to know. I don't drink, so Canada Dry will be just fine.
              Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                Uh oh you really don't want to go ordering cocktails in the UK. Or at least be sure of the pricing before you do. They can be hideously expensive.

Common drinks? Well, I've never been an ale drinker either. What you guys call beer is called lager here. Anything that is served cold with bubbles in it is a lager. Legally it isn't allowed to be called a beer.

I can't believe you had such trouble with orange juice. I nearly always get an orange juice in bars here (as I don't tend to drink) and I've never had that problem.

Yeah, I found it amusing the first time I ordered a lemonade and recieved a Sprite/7up type drink with lemon in it. Definitely was not the lemonade I was expecting.

Comment

Is there a word that describes frantically jumping up and down, clapping my hands, with a giddy look upon my face?

Kat
                  Hypersmileykat?

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                  LOL! Me too. The word hyper comes to mind
                  Well, isn't that a news flash?
                  sigpic

Comment

287 DAYS UNTIL GABIT 2!!!!!

I think its hyperclappingguy
                    Last edited by Kliggins; 01 February 2006, 11:19 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins
                      287 DAYS UNTIL GABIT 2!!!!!

I think its hyperclappingguy
                      Masterfully done!

Comment

Masterfully done!
                        Thank you. *curtsies*
                        sigpic

Comment

Hmm, I don't think I've ever tried any of the yummy deserts you've mentioned. I feel as if I've truly missing out.

<snip>
                          For those of you who are not familiar with mudslides, it's like an alcoholic milkshake.
                          Kat
                          Ahh, we'll have to try and do a dessert / cakes n pastries round up in November then

Yeow, that is one hot cocktail! You can actually get ready mixed 'pseudu' mudslides (chocolate or caramel) in some places (including as 4 packs in supermarkets), obviously not as rich & authentic as a properly mixed one but they won't set you back twenty quid either.

And yay for ginger ale / Canada Dry, can't go wrong with that (except when your friend makes you drink it from a saucer) *eyes someone darkly*
                          Last edited by Rune; 02 February 2006, 12:52 AM.

Comment

And yay for ginger ale / Canada Dry, can't go wrong with that (except when your friend makes you drink it from a saucer) *eyes someone darkly*
                            I can't imagine who would do that? *shocked look*
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins
                              I can't imagine who would do that? *shocked look*
                              No me neither. Probably someone looking as though butter wouldn't melt in their mouth I bet *narrows eyes more*
                              Last edited by Rune; 02 February 2006, 01:15 AM.

Comment

LOL ! So am I bringing a set of dog bowls for you two this year ?

*sigh*
                                Am I the only one who gets hunger pangs reading this thread ?

*Starts scribbling lyrics to answer SS and Bev's masterpieces*
                                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                                X