GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome, folks! I'm certainly looking forward to being there. It'll be my first trip to London and I plan to make a to-do about it!
    First time...oh my. That brings back (very old) memories! There is just so much to see. Depending on how much time you have, I suggest a 1/2 day bus around London. They will show you all the highlights but not necessarily enough time. Then you can say you have seen some and take the extra time to go back and spend time at the other places. I also suggest (if you have some extra £'s a high tea maybe had Harrods) - always a lot of fun. There are also dozens of day trips you can take but remember, that might be about all you can do in that one day. So you might get the most bang for you bucks in staying near London. There are more things to do there then I can mention here. Theatre a lot of fun = get tickets the day you want to go and they are usually 1/2 price. Someone here must know where that booth is to get the tickets. Of course the crown jewels (Tower of London) and if it is open - a tour of the "castle" is a must. What you must do is tell us your interest - pictures, castles, churches, modern, old, whatever. For example, a great portrait gallery is available (if a little hidden) right around the corner and near to Picadilly Circus. Not only portraits of the Royals but also contemporary ones of famous artists (music, art, story, acting, etc). Was a great way to spend a few hours. Missed that the first several times because I never went around that corner! As you can see - there are a million things (only a slight exaggeration) to do in London area.
    sigpic

Comment

I am definitely looking forward to the trip and have already made plans for several guided tours because I feel like I could definitely use access the highlights. But I'm going to be there long enough that I should be able to do those things but also take closer looks at the things that light my fire.
      Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Discount tickets (not always 1/2 price but discounted) can be had at Leicester Square.

I also loved the Portrait Gallery. And, of course, any museum.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I recommend the Tate. A bus tour of the city will give you a good overview of what you may want to spend more time on later. The British Museum - a short walk from Goodge station. The Rosetta stone, Elgin marbles, fabulous mummies, and so much more. The City of London museum - from the Angles and Saxons to the modern period. Great info on the Blitz.
          sigpic

Comment

You guys are just making me more and more excited about the trip!
            Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
              You guys are just making me more and more excited about the trip!
              Good! First timers should always be excited. I may have gotten less excited over the years, but I have always enjoyed my trips to the UK. And I've been there more times then I can remember. When I first went there about 45 years ago, it was a lot different then what it is now. Some of the best things - it has become a world class place for excellent restaurants, they still try to cater to tourists (although more expensive now), the people speak almost the same language as I do, and mostly, it is a fascinating place full of historical sites and items that still draw you in and fascinate you. There are things for everyone's taste. So definitely look forward to your trip. And with all this, you also get to spend some time with AT and get to meet all of us Gabiteers! What else could you ask for!
              sigpic

Comment

nothing to say, just wanted to see what kind of shark i am.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
                  nothing to say, just wanted to see what kind of shark i am.
                  What kind of "shark"??? On this site??? Lost me on that one.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                    What kind of "shark"??? On this site??? Lost me on that one.
                    Check the name below your llp. You are a Megalodon Shark. GW giving us shark names.

Comment

What shark be I??

Mumsey
                      For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Awwwww. Nurse shark - how appropriate!
                        For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                          Awwwww. Nurse shark - how appropriate!
                          I so agree!

Originally posted by EH-T
                          Check the name below your llp. You are a Megalodon Shark. GW giving us shark names.
                          Ah thanks!
                          sigpic

Comment

Shaaark
                            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

I started editing the vid for Amanda's bday. 5days left to send me photos.
                              Sharon I remembered to cover your face with a marple leaf!
                              sigpic
                              My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                                I started editing the vid for Amanda's bday. 5days left to send me photos.
                                Sharon I remembered to cover your face with a marple leaf!
                                LOL, thanks. If it was going to AT directly I would be fine but on the interwebs I prefer the leaf!

Comment

Working...
                                X