GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post
    Mine says 299 days until the cocktail part and I'm in the right time zone.

Ooh you're going down early SGSuzi? Me and my friend are spending Thursday around London, hopefully the British Museum where we will spend hours in the Ancient Egyptian rooms.

Thought it might be nice to meet up and say hello Thursday evening/Friday if anyone is around?
    Suzi and I intend to arrive on the Thursday so we can recover a bit from the massive and long journey it takes to get from Aus to Europe. And on the Friday we will probably just hang out in the lobby and say hi to everyone
    Although I might be a bit shy at first since this is my first GABIT event
    sigpic
    Made by the talented Meredithe5

Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility - Amanda Tapping

My Rainbow Run for Mila raised $2672.5 CAD for Sanctuary For Kids! Many thanks to everyone who donated in honour of my beloved niece https://www.facebook.com/RainbowRunForMila

Comment

Originally posted by Samfan13 View Post
      Suzi and I intend to arrive on the Thursday so we can recover a bit from the massive and long journey it takes to get from Aus to Europe. And on the Friday we will probably just hang out in the lobby and say hi to everyone
      Yeah we thought we would try and book in from the Thursday night, just get our bearings a bit before the fun starts, we will also be there for when everyone arrives too
      sigpic
      Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by Samfan13 View Post
        Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
        Yeah we thought we would try and book in from the Thursday night, just get our bearings a bit before the fun starts, we will also be there for when everyone arrives too
        It'll be our first too. I'm doing my best to be sociable because I'm such an introvert, normally I hate social events and usually stand on my own in the corner trying to blend in with the wall. It's one of the reasons I joined GW, to talk to a few people before I go, I tend to be a bit better if I know a few friendly faces. My friend could be recovering still too (I won't bore you with details) so I might pop down to the lobby and say hello if you're there
        Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
        If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

I used to be shy during my first Cons...but now I will probably talk to you girls as soon I recognize you! Hugs will probably be involved too!
          sigpic
          My vids Sig made by me

Comment

You just pounce on randoms in the lobby. They are USUALLY gabit attendees!

Started my new job today. For the first time in my life I'm not allowed to wear jeans!
            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post

Started my new job today. For the first time in my life I'm not allowed to wear jeans!
              Good luck! for the non-jeans! That must be hard!

Mumsey
              For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Just remember to keep whatever you are wearing on - unless it raises funds for S4K!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                  Just remember to keep whatever you are wearing on - unless it raises funds for S4K!
                  Huh? Is confused. I mean I've seen the pics of the stupidly high shoes but you're making me think all kinds of bizarre things lol

I have a question about the hotel. I know its been held in this place before, me and my friend were trying to work out how much we could be paying out in May for the room and, if we're lucky enough to get them, cocktail party tickets. I know what the room rate is per night but I was wondering if anyone knows if they usually want all the money up front or take a deposit.
                  Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Huh? Is confused. I mean I've seen the pics of the stupidly high shoes but you're making me think all kinds of bizarre things lol

I have a question about the hotel. I know its been held in this place before, me and my friend were trying to work out how much we could be paying out in May for the room and, if we're lucky enough to get them, cocktail party tickets. I know what the room rate is per night but I was wondering if anyone knows if they usually want all the money up front or take a deposit.
                    Sorry about the confusion. At AT5 Neeps had a "special" event going. She had two bags and took donations for S4K. Whichever had the most money in it was what had to happen - one for pants or one for no pants - the no pants won, of course! Now to explain that so you don't think this is a nudist camp or something - she had boxers on and Amanda had her come on stage (if I remember correctly) so all could see! All in fun and all fairly innocent!

BTW - those "shoes" you mentioned had a slot in them to collect money - and one of more respectable goers (see how nice I'm being Eh-T!) wore them all weekend and collected a lot of money for S4K!

As for your hotel, you will be asked to put a credit card down when you make the reservation online. Then when you check in, they will ask you give them a card to make an imprint with (same or different card). But nothing will be charged to it until you leave. So no deposit is really required. And you can pay in cash if you like. If you don't say anything then you will have a bill under your door early in the morning of departure. Oh and you can split the bill between two people - just let them know ahead of time.

As for the cocktail party.... as soon as they announce who is coming (you should receive an email) = you will be given a "deadline" date to pay. Probably a few weeks after the notice. If you don't want it anymore or don't pay by the deadline, then they will ask the next person on the waiting list until all seats are filled. Be sure to let them know that you want to sit with your friend. And if I remember correctly, if you have a table of (I think) 8 people - you can reserve a whole table.... but all of that is done much closer to the event. So don't worry about it. Just besure you and your friend pay for the ticket together on one bill so you can sit together. BTW - they have place cards. And there will be one empty chair at each table. That chair is for Amanda to sit in when she visits - after all the food is eaten! Hope that helps.

Oh and I'll be in the lobby Thursday and maybe Wednesday as well. I promise I've had all my shots and I don't bite (too hard) so if you see a 60ish (hopefully on a good day 50ish) looking woman with semi=short blond hair... come on by and say hello! Alway luv to meet gabit goers!
                    sigpic

Comment

Sorry about the confusion.... gabit goers!
                      Thanks very very much for the information. That's a load off my mind, we were thinking we would have to find all the money for the hotel in the next few weeks - my friend checked the hotel website this morning and they were asking for all the money up for rooms in November (that might have been as late as she could look) and it got us pretty worried.

I booked my friend's ticket with mine so I think we'll automatically be seated together.

Comment

If you registered together for your tickets and indicated you wanted to go in the draw for the cocktail party then if you get tickets you will be seated on the same table. Am I also right in thinking one of you won't get a cocktail ticket without the other? I think the cocktail ticket is £110 this year if I remember correct and this will need to be paid within a couple weeks of the draw, but as others have said the hotel will be paid upon check out. We should be getting the hotel codes once the cocktail party tickets are drawn
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Sorry about the confusion. At AT5 Neeps had a "special" event going. She had two bags and took donations for S4K. Whichever had the most money in it was what had to happen - one for pants or one for no pants - the no pants won, of course! Now to explain that so you don't think this is a nudist camp or something - she had boxers on and Amanda had her come on stage (if I remember correctly) so all could see! All in fun and all fairly innocent!

BTW - those "shoes" you mentioned had a slot in them to collect money - and one of more respectable goers (see how nice I'm being Eh-T!) wore them all weekend and collected a lot of money for S4K!

As for your hotel, you will be asked to put a credit card down when you make the reservation online. Then when you check in, they will ask you give them a card to make an imprint with (same or different card). But nothing will be charged to it until you leave. So no deposit is really required. And you can pay in cash if you like. If you don't say anything then you will have a bill under your door early in the morning of departure. Oh and you can split the bill between two people - just let them know ahead of time.

As for the cocktail party.... as soon as they announce who is coming (you should receive an email) = you will be given a "deadline" date to pay. Probably a few weeks after the notice. If you don't want it anymore or don't pay by the deadline, then they will ask the next person on the waiting list until all seats are filled. Be sure to let them know that you want to sit with your friend. And if I remember correctly, if you have a table of (I think) 8 people - you can reserve a whole table.... but all of that is done much closer to the event. So don't worry about it. Just besure you and your friend pay for the ticket together on one bill so you can sit together. BTW - they have place cards. And there will be one empty chair at each table. That chair is for Amanda to sit in when she visits - after all the food is eaten! Hope that helps.

Oh and I'll be in the lobby Thursday and maybe Wednesday as well. I promise I've had all my shots and I don't bite (too hard) so if you see a 60ish (hopefully on a good day 50ish) looking woman with semi=short blond hair... come on by and say hello! Alway luv to meet gabit goers!
                          You are being very nice....makes me wonder what you are up to.

Our little girl is growing up.

Thanks very very much for the information. That's a load off my mind, we were thinking we would have to find all the money for the hotel in the next few weeks - my friend checked the hotel website this morning and they were asking for all the money up for rooms in November (that might have been as late as she could look) and it got us pretty worried.

I booked my friend's ticket with mine so I think we'll automatically be seated together.
                          One other thing about the hotel. Gabit (bless 'em) negotiates a special rate for us that includes the fabulous breakfast buffet. So, if you have been looking at the room rates online, the rate we will pay will be less than that.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                            Good luck! for the non-jeans! That must be hard!

Mumsey
                            I know! I got myself a pair of wide leg Katharine Hepburn trousers that I will treat as jeans. The shoe thing has been harder- I'm a big wearer of chuck taylors and flip flops. In November. In London. Thanks

I have managed 3 days so far

Not quite for S4K, but I have sent off the money to Nepal for little Aabashek's dentist. He has had 4 appointments and he has 1 more- after that he should be completely pain free!

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                            Our little girl is growing up.
                            I have benefits and everything. I have an investment portfolio and 2 different superannuation schemes! How grown up is THAT.

Professional shoes. But COMPANY SHARES. It seems I accidentally found myself a career while I was looking for a job.

So I had a weird vivid dream last night. AT7 took place in my local library. Everyone was there except AT which was strange- not that I missed her in the dream, she just wasn't part of dream AT7. The dream swerved into nightmare territory when Becca and Jenn started teasing my about my t-shirt (???) but Keely told them not to be bullies. I don't know where that came from! It must have been something else my brain was processing (buying suitable work clothes?) superimposed over their personalities? Anxiety dream? WEIRD.
                            Last edited by NZNeep; 01 May 2013, 02:46 AM.
                            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

i think we're down to 290 days now. should be hearing something about the cocktail tickets soon.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                                You are being very nice....makes me wonder what you are up to.

One other thing about the hotel. Gabit (bless 'em) negotiates a special rate for us that includes the fabulous breakfast buffet. So, if you have been looking at the room rates online, the rate we will pay will be less than that.

Who me - naw - just think I am mellowing out in my old(er) age!

And totally concur with EH-T on the hotel - just wait until the Gabit people tell you to make your reservations. Their prices are better and the breakfast buffet is included and quite good!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X