GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sigpic
    Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
      It's all gone very quiet here.....lol

I'm still bouncing though
      Originally posted by llp View Post
      Not uncommon for this particular thread....but as we approach AT7 - it will get rowdier!
      Originally posted by SqueeG-1 View Post
      My enthusiasm has been mildly dampened by the fact that the airlines seem not to let you book flights more than 355 days in advance... I want to book my flight now.
      Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
      patience young grasshopper
      This makes me smile. I love the enthusiasm of the newbies. We could keep the thread lively by answering any questions you may have.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

You asked for it!

1. What is the schedule for the weekend? I know that there are autograph sessions, photo-ops, talks, etc. but how are these things usually set up?

2. In the same vein - what time do things get underway on the Friday and wrap up on the Sunday?

3. Does anyone know if the hotel would extend the special rate for a few days before GABIT? The friend coming with me has never been to London and we plan on heading over early to do some sightseeing.

4. How much blue jello do I need to bring for you folks?
        sigpic

Comment

You asked for it!

1. What is the schedule for the weekend? I know that there are autograph sessions, photo-ops, talks, etc. but how are these things usually set up?
          In very basic terms, registration is on Friday. I think it starts in the morning but someone can correct me on that if i am wrong. The CP is Friday evening. Those not going do their own thing.

Saturday things start at 8:30 a.m. There are introductory comments and then the first Q & A with AT. There are also Q & As Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning and Sunday afternoon. In between the Q & As is when autos and photos are done. Photos are on Saturday and they call you by row starting with B (A is for the volunteers and we go when our volunteer schedule allows). All photos are done on Saturday and they are printed up right away so you can have them for autographs on Sunday. The autographs are done Sunday between the Q &As. You are allowed 2 autos, one of which is personalised.

There are lunch breaks each day.

While the photos/autos are being done the main room is usually open and they show a variety ofthings to keep you entertained. For example, this past year they showed Space Milkshake. You can either watch the entertainment or do your own thing.

Saturday (early) evening is the auction. Even if you cannot bid, I would recommend you go. The event is very entertaining whether you win an item or not. Then the hall is cleared to set up for the Abnormals Ball which starts late evening and runs later than I can stay up!

Sunday morning there is also a tea/coffee with Amanda. This is for the 4 raffle winners. The raffle tickets are on sale Friday and Saturday and the winners are drawn at the auction. A great fundraiser that everyone can participate in (except previous winners).

After the last Q & A on Sunday is the closing ceremony. Everything is usually done between 6-7.

2. In the same vein - what time do things get underway on the Friday and wrap up on the Sunday?
          See above

3. Does anyone know if the hotel would extend the special rate for a few days before GABIT? The friend coming with me has never been to London and we plan on heading over early to do some sightseeing.
          The special rate is extended. Usually starts as of the Wednesday before AT and I think it ends on the Monday night after. You take the regular city bus to the airport (which is free), hop on the tube abd you are in London in 40 minutes or so.

I will turn that question over to Ames.
          Last edited by EH-T; 05 March 2013, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks!!
            sigpic

Comment

Registration is actually in the afternoon on Friday. And the special hotel rate (at least in the past) has been Wednesday through Tuesday, though there are fewer rooms available on the far dates.

Comment

Thanks!!
                A few other items EH-T didn't talk about but might interest you. One all bids on the auction are in English pounds - so you might want to remember that when bidding. They also have a silent auction on Sunday where you go into an area with items you can write a bid on. You can also keep track and bid it up if someone goes over your bid. These items are less expensive but still really cool.

As EH-T mentioned, the only activity (other then checking in and getting your tickets and badge and special gift) is the cocktail party on Friday. However, it you don't bid on that or don't get it, there will be tons of people hanging around in the lobby to party and even catch a glimpse of AT on her way into the party.

As for the Q&A's - don't be shy, ask a question. Just raise your hand and people come around with mics. And they love it when someone new asks a question. Sort of sharing the wealth.

As for the hotel - I arrived on Tuesday and didn't leave until the following Tuesday and they did extend the rates to include all those days. But, I understand it is somewhat limited so if you plan on arriving early or staying a little later, be sure to make your reservations in plenty of time.

And the best thing about the whole weekend (next to AT) are the people that attend. First time I went, I knew no one there and if you shyly smile at someone, that is about all you need to make a new friend. The people that attend these events are lovely and they are the ones that will make it just a little more then you can anticipate. This is like no other con you might ever attended or even heard of so enjoy!
                sigpic

Comment

Now you have all just got me really excited again, someone is going to have to scrape me off the ceiling
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

there is also a meeting for new attendees(and old ones if they want) on friday afternoon. not sure of the time but it's good to attend and meet some people and ask questions. it's informal and a few of the gabit staff will be there. pretty sure they have everyone introduce themselves and tell where they are from. they will be talking about it closer to the event on the gabit forum, so keep an eye out for it there.

Comment

*bounces in* Did someone mention bluey goodness???

You asked for it!

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                      I will turn that question over to Ames.
                      Ooh, I love enthusiastic newbies!

There are often unofficial events which are set up on the days before the event begins ... for example, we've been on an excellent Jack the Ripper tour on the Wed night, as well as a dinner and musical on the Thursday night ... I (along with Eh-T) was part of a group that spent a day curling at AT5 -- if you have something you want to try out, drop a line in here and who knows who'll jump in to join y'all! (Speaking of which - I'm looking to go to a proper footie match as well as The Harry Potter Experience this time around - any takers for joining me???)

Ah ... blue jello I love newbies who already know about the joys of bluey goodness!!! *bounces*
                      Whatever you have room for in your luggage I will gladly accept for the cause I usually check into the Ren on the Friday although you can drop any boxes off with me up to the auction on Saturday Then the bluey goodness is available for a donation at the Abnormal Ball on Sat night! (At least, that's how it has worked at previous events ... I'll update if/when I am told otherwise by the G4 )
                      Yay for sharing the joys of bluey goodness!! *bounces out*
                      ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                      ames on facebook
                      ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Thanks!!
                        You are welcome.

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                        Registration is actually in the afternoon on Friday. And the special hotel rate (at least in the past) has been Wednesday through Tuesday, though there are fewer rooms available on the far dates.
                        Thanks for clarifying. I have always come in the afternoon so wasn't sure. This year I was late to the stewards' meeting and registered very quickly!

Originally posted by llp View Post
                        A few other items EH-T didn't talk about but might interest you. One all bids on the auction are in English pounds - so you might want to remember that when bidding. They also have a silent auction on Sunday where you go into an area with items you can write a bid on. You can also keep track and bid it up if someone goes over your bid. These items are less expensive but still really cool.

As EH-T mentioned, the only activity (other then checking in and getting your tickets and badge and special gift) is the cocktail party on Friday. However, it you don't bid on that or don't get it, there will be tons of people hanging around in the lobby to party and even catch a glimpse of AT on her way into the party.

As for the Q&A's - don't be shy, ask a question. Just raise your hand and people come around with mics. And they love it when someone new asks a question. Sort of sharing the wealth.

As for the hotel - I arrived on Tuesday and didn't leave until the following Tuesday and they did extend the rates to include all those days. But, I understand it is somewhat limited so if you plan on arriving early or staying a little later, be sure to make your reservations in plenty of time.

And the best thing about the whole weekend (next to AT) are the people that attend. First time I went, I knew no one there and if you shyly smile at someone, that is about all you need to make a new friend. The people that attend these events are lovely and they are the ones that will make it just a little more then you can anticipate. This is like no other con you might ever attended or even heard of so enjoy!
                        One of the problems (although a pleasant problem to have) is by the time you get to your 3rd or 4th event you have met so many wonderful people the weekend is not long enough to spend enough time with all of them. I am finding that harder and harder each year.

Originally posted by ames View Post

There are often unofficial events which are set up on the days before the event begins ... for example, we've been on an excellent Jack the Ripper tour on the Wed night, as well as a dinner and musical on the Thursday night ... I (along with Eh-T) was part of a group that spent a day curling at AT5 -- if you have something you want to try out, drop a line in here and who knows who'll jump in to join y'all! (Speaking of which - I'm looking to go to a proper footie match as well as The Harry Potter Experience this time around - any takers for joining me???)

Ah ... blue jello I love newbies who already know about the joys of bluey goodness!!! *bounces*
                        Whatever you have room for in your luggage I will gladly accept for the cause I usually check into the Ren on the Friday although you can drop any boxes off with me up to the auction on Saturday Then the bluey goodness is available for a donation at the Abnormal Ball on Sat night! (At least, that's how it has worked at previous events ... I'll update if/when I am told otherwise by the G4 )
                        I was at the HP Experience last time (big thanks to Paul for driving and Claire and Laurie for organizing). I am not a big HP fan but still found it very interesting. I am sure you will enjoy it. I may have you pick up a couple of things for me from the gift shop!

Comment

The Blue Jello kit will be ready and waiting for you when you arrive.

Mumsey
                          For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                            The Blue Jello kit will be ready and waiting for you when you arrive.

Mumsey
                            I'll take that as a "Yes there will be sharing of bluey goodness on Saturday Night" then, eh?
                            *does bouncey happy dance in anticipation*

Wonder if we'll have fridges this time around - ah well ... our room definitely had the prettiest windowsill at the Ren! Yay for MacGyvering roomies and otherwise uberly-helpful mates!
                            ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                            ames on facebook
                            ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

I'll take that as a "Yes there will be sharing of bluey goodness on Saturday Night" then, eh?
                              *does bouncey happy dance in anticipation*

Wonder if we'll have fridges this time around - ah well ... our room definitely had the prettiest windowsill at the Ren! Yay for MacGyvering roomies and otherwise uberly-helpful mates!
                              On a recent visit to the hotel, we were told that a small number of fridges will be available, so I would ask for one when you get to book your room.

Mumsey
                              For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

I have a question regarding booking the hotel, once the code is available and we book, do we have to pay in advance for the room or is it like most hotels and you secure the room with your credit card and pay on check in?
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Working...
                                X