Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ames View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the thread! *waves*
    Thank you ames!! I don't participate as much as I would like to but it sure is nice to see such friendly folk on here

Originally posted by llp View Post
    Here's hoping a ticket comes your way - and you are always welcome to join the chocolate party! However, you are never gatecrashing here....we enjoy the company!
    Thanks llp! Fingers, legs, arms, eyes and anything else I can possibly cross, are crossed!! Hopefully I find out with enough time to buy a plane ticket though Will there be chocolate cake? I can certainly whip something like that up!!

I haven't met AT6 yet so would just be brilliant!!

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome
    WACKO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lbruce1980 View Post
      Thank you ames!! I don't participate as much as I would like to but it sure is nice to see such friendly folk on here

Thanks llp! Fingers, legs, arms, eyes and anything else I can possibly cross, are crossed!! Hopefully I find out with enough time to buy a plane ticket though Will there be chocolate cake? I can certainly whip something like that up!!

I haven't met AT6 yet so would just be brilliant!!

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome
      Chocolate cake - not sure anyone every brought that but why not....just make it sheet cake style so it can be cut up (or precut even better)! Here's hoping you have the opportunity to bake it!
      sigpic

Comment

ok, off season rail passes finally available. that's the last thing i have to get and i'll be ready for AT6. actually i still have to train my dog and my mother and her friend who's staying with her while i'm gone. the dog is pretty good inside the house but outside he is stressed by a lot of things that he was never exposed to as a puppy. the people who had him were idiots. how can anyone treat a puppy like that.

Comment

Chocolate cake - not sure anyone every brought that but why not....just make it sheet cake style so it can be cut up (or precut even better)! Here's hoping you have the opportunity to bake it!
          Chocolate cake it is then if I'm there of course, won't be if I don't get a ticket Oh well, que sara sara, if not in November then maybe Oz Comic Con next year Thanks so much llp and if this is crazy, I love it!!!
          WACKO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
            Mine is finally long and curly again At AT5 I didn't actually look like me Especially the day I took to it with the hotel hairdryer. I still cringe at the photos.

How short are you thinking, Ames?
            I had been thinking *really* short, but thx to conversations with both chelle and my parents (separately, of course ) I think we're just going to go with a few inches off instead. Unless Shari (my hairdresser of more years than either of us really want to admit to...) convinces me otherwise once I'm in the chair - always a distinct possibility!

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
            Neither can I...I'd need to see a picture of the blonde & short Ames....hair that is.

My hair is not much different from AT4 cept it's longer & a little bit curly which is weird coz I never used to have curly hair til I went back to blonde early this year...now I'm back to darker locks, the curls have stayed which is annoyng coz it frizzes if I let it dry naturally then put a brush to it...which is a pain coz I kinda like the messy curls. I'm damned if I do & damned if I don't...but I'm not cutting it until I get home...maybe...coz hubby would not be happy if I cut the hair.
            Well now you've seen pics of really short'n'curly ames, chin-length red ames, and longer-with-blonde-highlights ames (ames figured out how to share photos on Skype, can you tell? LOL)! Still trying to find a better picture of me as a proper blonde. You'd think having been that way for 8 months, in which I graduated from high school, (even giving a speech and winning a couple of awards at said ceremony!) that there'd be more photos of me. Hmph. I will keep looking though!

Originally posted by samcartersg1 View Post
            Haven't been on this thread in awhile and catching up but for anyone interested, I am going to the Dr Who Experience on the Sunday before AT6 for anyone who wants to come
            WB Miss Julia
            I'll poke chelle and get her to let her roomie know ... I'm planning on hitting the Harry Potter Experience on the Friday before AT6. Just waiting on confirmation of numbers, so if anyone else is in town and interested in joining up, let me know so we can figure out best times!!!
            ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
            ames on facebook
            ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

56 days til AT6 Ripples!!

And I leave in 48 days - I really shouldn't be doing a countdown - its making my head spin - quite literally!!
              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                56 days til AT6 Ripples!!

And I leave in 48 days - I really shouldn't be doing a countdown - its making my head spin - quite literally!!
                I'm getting excited for you
                WACKO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MayoGate View Post
                  When does term start oregon? - Please note I said 'term' and not 'semester'

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............... Yeah, me and the terminology aren't entirely friends yet. I still have to think for a moment before I speak to make sure I say "lift" instead of "elevator" and "trousers" instead of "pants." I don't even vaguely have sorted out half of the things I need to know, I'm sure. One of the Chinese students made some comment about how she'd thought that I would have no trouble at all with language and miscommunications because I "already speak English." I tried not to laugh too hard while explaining that speaking English well has already gotten me into trouble because it means that people don't explain as much. Registering with a GP took two hours instead of 20 minutes because they didn't tell me that I had to bring back the medical history form they had asked me to fill out. I'd assumed without even realizing that I was making an assumption that I was supposed to hold on to it and give it to the nurse when I was called. Turns out they don't even put me in the queue to be seen until I've handed the form back. So after an hour of waiting (it was a busy day, so an hour seemed undesirable but reasonable), I finally got added to the list of people waiting. Sigh.

Adventure.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happier with my life right now than I was with it two months ago, though.

As for when term starts, I'm not 100% sure. I was told to be here from 10 September for International Orientation, then the regular first years' induction is next week. I think term officially starts on 24 September, but I'm on a funky class schedule and I think we don't have our first day of actual class until the week after that. The university isn't the best at giving us really clear information until right before we need it, so I'm pretty much planning to show up to orientation and then plan my life after that.

Dr. Who - that should be a blast. Unfortunately, I don't arrive until Wed.
                  I'm not going to be in London by the Sunday before, either. Laurie, if you're hanging around at all afterward, I'd happily go with you on a different day.

Comment

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
                    Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............... Yeah, me and the terminology aren't entirely friends yet. I still have to think for a moment before I speak to make sure I say "lift" instead of "elevator" and "trousers" instead of "pants." I don't even vaguely have sorted out half of the things I need to know, I'm sure. One of the Chinese students made some comment about how she'd thought that I would have no trouble at all with language and miscommunications because I "already speak English." I tried not to laugh too hard while explaining that speaking English well has already gotten me into trouble because it means that people don't explain as much. Registering with a GP took two hours instead of 20 minutes because they didn't tell me that I had to bring back the medical history form they had asked me to fill out. I'd assumed without even realizing that I was making an assumption that I was supposed to hold on to it and give it to the nurse when I was called. Turns out they don't even put me in the queue to be seen until I've handed the form back. So after an hour of waiting (it was a busy day, so an hour seemed undesirable but reasonable), I finally got added to the list of people waiting. Sigh.

Adventure.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happier with my life right now than I was with it two months ago, though.

As for when term starts, I'm not 100% sure. I was told to be here from 10 September for International Orientation, then the regular first years' induction is next week. I think term officially starts on 24 September, but I'm on a funky class schedule and I think we don't have our first day of actual class until the week after that. The university isn't the best at giving us really clear information until right before we need it, so I'm pretty much planning to show up to orientation and then plan my life after that.

I'm not going to be in London by the Sunday before, either. Laurie, if you're hanging around at all afterward, I'd happily go with you on a different day.
                    Ah, being late giving info to International Students is not just a Portsmouth thing!

How are your digs?

We'll have you an expert on the English swear words in no time

Comment

Ah, being late giving info to International Students is not just a Portsmouth thing!
                      To be honest, it seems to be a British thing in general. I've noticed the BBC loves to avoid announcing things like when the seventh Doctor Who series would start until only very shortly beforehand. I assume that the university does it to see if we're clever enough to be allowed to attend. Likewise, I assume the BBC does it to see if we're clever enough to be allowed to watch Doctor Who.

How are your digs?
                      No serious complaints at all. I've got a nice big studio flat, kitchenette (though no oven, which I was surprised to realize makes me sad considering how I usually feel about cooking), I don't share a bathroom with the 18-year-old first years in the building, great view. The only things I'm anticipating I'm going to hate by the end of the year are that I live on the 14th floor and there are only two lifts (and I'm expecting the walk down is going to suck when some 18-year-old learns the hard way that they shouldn't set off the fire alarm with burnt food), and the bathroom has no tub. I'm not a bath fan, but I like showers in tubs because it keeps the water from running all over the place. Oh well.

On the bright side, the years of sleeping during the day while I was working night shift have got me trained well enough that I can mostly sleep through the new building they're constructing right outside my window. And yes, I do mean that sentence seriously and with no sarcasm. Construction work from 14 floors down through a closed window is about the same volume as my neighbor mowing his lawn 15 feet from my bedroom. I'll adapt.

We'll have you an expert on the English swear words in no time
                      Oh, now that would be nice... I'm fairly well versed in the American version, I can recognize about half of the Latin American Spanish... definitely need to add another set of mostly four-letter words to my vocabulary.

Comment

Adventure.

Sorry Trin - after AT6 I'm heading off to Jumble house for several days then home. Would have been fun, but alas - can't make it this time!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lbruce1980 View Post
                          Chocolate cake it is then if I'm there of course, won't be if I don't get a ticket Oh well, que sara sara, if not in November then maybe Oz Comic Con next year Thanks so much llp and if this is crazy, I love it!!!
                          not sure how well a cake will hold up travelling from aussie land to london. it may be a chocolate crumb cake bu the time it gets there.

Comment

54 days til AT6 Ripples!!
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
                              not sure how well a cake will hold up travelling from aussie land to london. it may be a chocolate crumb cake by the time it gets there.
                              Those are yummy, too...

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
                                not sure how well a cake will hold up travelling from aussie land to london. it may be a chocolate crumb cake bu the time it gets there.
                                haha lol, well at least it would still taste like chocolate cake though it may not look like one!

Those are yummy, too...
                                Yes very yummy

Well I don't know if or when I find out but I've got everything crossed in the hopes that I do get a ticket! It will be my first time meeting AT so would be so awesome!!

I love London too, only just got back from there a couple of months ago and would so love to come back and live there!! Anyway, off to bed, goodnight everyone
                                WACKO!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X