No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, tired of playing with the poll thing. hopefully it doesn't mean anything because sanctuary is behind by more than 10,000 votes. obviously someone found a faster way to revote than i did.

Comment

what are those little green things under my rank on the left side? i've been wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
        what are those little green things under my rank on the left side? i've been wondering.
        It's kind of like your billet (as opposed to rank). It's an indication of the amount of reputation, or "green", others have bestowed upon you. The more bars, the more reputation (and the higher up in the SGC hierarchy you go).

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
          I would say it was the first Gatecon circa 2000. They usually had their conventions in September which is when Amanda and Alan's anniversary is.

Mumsey
          IIRC, gatecon #2, in 2001 was the week after 911 and AT just barely popped in because she and her hubby were on their way to hawaii for their anniversary. It was the year after that one where the timing changed to avoid that weekend. Then I also know that it m oved from sept to july for a while (because there was one time I couldn't go because it conflicted with a co-worker's 'last week of july' commitment

Originally posted by llp View Post

I liked MTM, but it was different and I think less personal....The crowd was a different crowd as well. Many were there just for RDA. He was very interesting and fun and I had a good time. But TSE was fantastic, the people were great, the Sanctuary people were so far beyond great, and the way the Martin Wood treated Jumble was beyond fantastic. If I wasn't already a fan, I would have been one instantly. I think that Amanda has a lot to do in setting how the con goes. Her personality sets the pace and everyone enjoys going along with it.
          The RDA and AT crowds are apples to oranges...many of Rick's fans have been fans for over 30 years or more. They're often more mature women that have grown up watching him. They are also a very passionate bunch. I was lucky enough to help with gatecon 2008 and there were women that almost passed out just to be near him. There was a level of excitement, which was kinda fun but also contributed to the atmosphere because sometimes those that are excited can make unwise decisions.

ALso, in my personal opinion, the more mature females were a bit further away from the 'young adult follow the rules' and closer to the 'by golly this is my chance and i'm gonna go for it'. couple that excitement and that general attitude...and oh yeah, security was needed. It made everyone feel better. Ounce of prevention and all that.

Rick's fans are very different to Amanda's (and the Sanctuary cast). They are very much centered on him and little else. That level of concentration can be a bit overwhelming and makes for a very different atmosphere. I've been a fan for years, and I found MTM (and Avalon) to be ... odd. The Gatecon he went to had other guests and so the RDA fans were a little more diluted.

Mumsey
          Waxing philosophical.
          I think also there were also other focuses for people. Get my auto with so and so, get my photo with so and so, etc. there wasn't a singular 'omg, must get my photo with rick or the world ends' feeling. Diluted is a good word. Rick was PART of the con, the the main part.

Believe me when I say that the security was necessary!

Mumsey
          Very much so... and hey at MTM Ozzie was entertainment in and of himself
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
            Ooooh... I like you! I'll keep an eye out for those flights.

Will you guys post the dates of the next AT event here in this forum when you get back from this year's?
            We don't generally announce the date of the next AT event at the current event, we just normally put up an announcement of the year, like "coming in 2012 AT6" We announce actual dates when everything has been signed on the dotted line.

Tracy
            Gabit Events Steward Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
              Hahah .. ahh ... right!
              Well, my first birthdaykisses of my 31st birthday were from Amanda herself and my second set was from Mr Heyerdal Who spotted me from like a mile away, apparantly knew it was my birthday (IIRC Laurie told him at the Gateworlddinner the day before), came walking towards me watching me in that (not sure about the english word) intense way he can ... and I was like ... is he looking at me?!? And then proceeded to grab me and give me kisses ... hehe ... I was kinda flabbergasted
              That was a good birthday!
              I would say that was a super fantastic birthday!! I'd love one of those birthdays - heck, I'd just settle for the kisses and bugger the birthday!!
              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by t_2 View Post
                We don't generally announce the date of the next AT event at the current event, we just normally put up an announcement of the year, like "coming in 2012 AT6" We announce actual dates when everything has been signed on the dotted line.

Tracy
                Gabit Events Steward Coordinator

Ahhh... Thanks! I'll keep an eye on the official website then.

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                  Hahah .. ahh ... right!

Well, my first birthdaykisses of my 31st birthday were from Amanda herself and my second set was from Mr Heyerdal Who spotted me from like a mile away, apparantly knew it was my birthday (IIRC Laurie told him at the Gateworlddinner the day before), came walking towards me watching me in that (not sure about the english word) intense way he can ... and I was like ... is he looking at me?!? And then proceeded to grab me and give me kisses ... hehe ... I was kinda flabbergasted
                  That was a good birthday!
                  I was a witness to the event. Yes, his look was very intense and the look on your face was priceless!

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  IIRC, gatecon #2, in 2001 was the week after 911 and AT just barely popped in because she and her hubby were on their way to hawaii for their anniversary. It was the year after that one where the timing changed to avoid that weekend. Then I also know that it m oved from sept to july for a while (because there was one time I couldn't go because it conflicted with a co-worker's 'last week of july' commitment

The RDA and AT crowds are apples to oranges...many of Rick's fans have been fans for over 30 years or more. They're often more mature women that have grown up watching him. They are also a very passionate bunch. I was lucky enough to help with gatecon 2008 and there were women that almost passed out just to be near him. There was a level of excitement, which was kinda fun but also contributed to the atmosphere because sometimes those that are excited can make unwise decisions.

ALso, in my personal opinion, the more mature females were a bit further away from the 'young adult follow the rules' and closer to the 'by golly this is my chance and i'm gonna go for it'. couple that excitement and that general attitude...and oh yeah, security was needed. It made everyone feel better. Ounce of prevention and all that.

I think also there were also other focuses for people. Get my auto with so and so, get my photo with so and so, etc. there wasn't a singular 'omg, must get my photo with rick or the world ends' feeling. Diluted is a good word. Rick was PART of the con, the the main part.

Very much so... and hey at MTM Ozzie was entertainment in and of himself
                  That's interesting. One would think it was the young who wouldn't care about the rules and then the more mature ones would. I guess that means I'm still part of the young crowd!

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                  I would say that was a super fantastic birthday!! I'd love one of those birthdays - heck, I'd just settle for the kisses and bugger the birthday!!
                  Her poor hubby, I remember how we talked about the fact that try as he might for the rest of his life, he might never be able to top that birthday! A set tour, kisses from AT and CH and cake!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                    Her poor hubby, I remember how we talked about the fact that try as he might for the rest of his life, he might never be able to top that birthday! A set tour, kisses from AT and CH and cake!
                    I bet he did when Milou came along...best gift a mummy can get is her healthy happy little baby.
                    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I bet he did when Milou came along...best gift a mummy can get is her healthy happy little baby.
                      True!

Comment

Yes!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post

That's interesting. One would think it was the young who wouldn't care about the rules and then the more mature ones would. I guess that means I'm still part of the young crowd!

All I know is, at MTM I saw a LOT more 'i'm giving him a gift whether or not you say I can' 'i'm recording this and I don't care if you tell me I can't' type of attitude, and VERY GENERALLY SPEAKING, a bit more respect for the rules at TSE.

I think, at MTM there was just a lot of people that had waited a very long time to get to see him and were really focused on not missing an opportunity that may never repeat, while at TSE there was the knowledge that 'ok, well if something happens, there'll be another con'....just my feelings, no proof, nothing but my impressions.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

208 days, 15 hours, 24 min and 11 seconds till AT6 cocktail party time. i am so ready to go. don't have air tickets yet or any money, but i'm ready.

gasoline prices have dropped about $.50 per gallon. ya think air fares will drop at all? i wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              All I know is, at MTM I saw a LOT more 'i'm giving him a gift whether or not you say I can' 'i'm recording this and I don't care if you tell me I can't' type of attitude, and VERY GENERALLY SPEAKING, a bit more respect for the rules at TSE.

I think, at MTM there was just a lot of people that had waited a very long time to get to see him and were really focused on not missing an opportunity that may never repeat, while at TSE there was the knowledge that 'ok, well if something happens, there'll be another con'....just my feelings, no proof, nothing but my impressions.
                              That is a good point about people waiting a long time to see him and thinking it may be the only chance. At TSE, everyone was a con veteran except for Agam.

208 days, 15 hours, 24 min and 11 seconds till AT6 cocktail party time. i am so ready to go. don't have air tickets yet or any money, but i'm ready.

gasoline prices have dropped about $.50 per gallon. ya think air fares will drop at all? i wouldn't hold my breath waiting.
                              Good plan not to hold your breath. While they will be quick to add fuel surcharges, the airlines won't drop them very quickly.

Comment

[/quote=EH-T]Good plan not to hold your breath. While they will be quick to add fuel surcharges, the airlines won't drop them very quickly. [/quote]

Sorry Mocha - have to agree with EH-T. With the Olympics in London this summer, the airlines are going to try and make as much money as they can. I doubt the prices will go down until the end of summer (Sept/Oct). Are you willing to wait that long? And I make no guarantee since this is just an observation, but think about it!
                                Now the issue about getting a plane ticket that late is where you end up seating!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X