GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
    Put a few Vodka shots in that jello and the book reading could be even more hilarious - how to slur in different accents
    That reminds me of a fandom buddy's offer to help me when I was first training for my job... I was having trouble understanding drunk people (I don't mean the slightly tipsy, I mean the completely shattered) and I never seemed to get the same kinds of calls more than once in a night so I didn't get good practice on any specific kind of emergency. Being the wonderful person that she was, my friend offered to fly into town, get really drunk, and then fall down the stairs repeatedly. All she asked was that I only send the really cute firemen to pick her up off the floor afterwards. Ah, the benefits of fandom....

On the subject of Turkey Day (followed by shopaholic weekend), I had to work at 3pm yesterday. It worked out well, though. I got to have dinner at my mom's and then took off just before pie (she's saving me a piece) and arrived at work in time to fill a plate from the office potluck. Officially, we have two potlucks, one around noon for the dayshifters and one around 10pm for the rest of us. In practical terms, we have one potluck, we just put the meat and any very perishable foods in the fridge and people can pull them out as needed to fill plates.

I definitely avoid stores over Black Friday, though, and I avoid malls for the entire month of December if I can. I made sure I had enough food to last me through the work week (I work weekends) so I won't need to set foot in them until the madness is over. I'm definitely an online shopper. Amazon & Thinkgeek.com are both running sales online and I've already done 95% of my Christmas shopping.

Comment

Election day in NZ today. I have been scrutineering all morning. But yeah, this year we discovered the law that it is illegal to vote drunk Lots of fun with that one.
      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Scrutineering can't possibly be a real word. And I find it simultaneously hilarious and disturbing that there was apparently enough of an issue to make a law about voting while drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
          Scrutineering can't possibly be a real word. And I find it simultaneously hilarious and disturbing that there was apparently enough of an issue to make a law about voting while drunk...
          With our national history, we should probably have a law preventing Prime Ministers calling elections while drunk.
          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
            LOL!

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American Gabiteers. Hope you are spending it with those you love (and not in a mall).

DEFINITELY not in a mall. It was pouring rain so I stayed home rather than drive anywhere--talked to friends via phone and email. (Driving home from the "woods" in the dark not for me anymore.) Cat sitting for neighbors, too.

Wish I could go to AT6 but guess it's not in the cards for me this time (unless I win the lottery

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
              I'm in a choir. We've been rehearsing for a couple of weeks already ...

Mumsey
              Our band is rehearsing for 2 Christmas concerts...

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                I've been playing with my jazzband at various shopping centres the past couple of weeks for the switching on of their Christmas lights. Me, my band, Santa and his reindeer. 'Winter Wonderland', 'Jingle Bells' et al, all played ad nauseum.

The festive season is good for giving me some well-paid gigs.
                Our band plays for free--in fact the players PAY to play. Like a night school class but really fun. Seattle has a parade of Christmas ships and on one of the evenings we play to draw the crowd at a chilly old bath house by Puget Sound until the ships show up. Then we get hot cocoa and awful cookies and go home to warm up. Music? carols and sleigh ride and a medley of frosty the snowman and rudolph--same stuff every year. Then we play at the Salvation Army to raise money for them--their Temple Brass plays as well. We do get some paying gigs now and then but that helps pay our conductor. She's a low brass teacher and gets some good gigs herself during the Holidays mostly church music but she plays in a jazz ensemble sometimes, too.

Comment

Originally posted by donamac View Post
                  Our band plays for free--in fact the players PAY to play. Like a night school class but really fun. Seattle has a parade of Christmas ships and on one of the evenings we play to draw the crowd at a chilly old bath house by Puget Sound until the ships show up. Then we get hot cocoa and awful cookies and go home to warm up. Music? carols and sleigh ride and a medley of frosty the snowman and rudolph--same stuff every year. Then we play at the Salvation Army to raise money for them--their Temple Brass plays as well. We do get some paying gigs now and then but that helps pay our conductor. She's a low brass teacher and gets some good gigs herself during the Holidays mostly church music but she plays in a jazz ensemble sometimes, too.
                  We get to sing carols in local shopping malls - collecting for our local hospice. This year we are going to our 'local' Ikea and Costco too. Our concerts just about break even. Once a year we join with several other choirs in the south east for a major concert at Arundel Cathedral. This raises quite a bit for the Hospice movement.

Mumsey
                  For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

I play for charity when I play with my brass band. Since I'm a professional musician, I need to pay the bills, therefore when I play gigs with my jazz band, I need the money.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                      With our national history, we should probably have a law preventing Prime Ministers calling elections while drunk.
                      That just made me laugh and feel slightly less irritated with the US political system. Apparently we're not the only ones with massive problems.

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                      Since I'm a professional musician, I need to pay the bills, therefore when I play gigs with my jazz band, I need the money.
                      Lol.... "professional musician" combined with an icon of Animal. You've made me nostalgic now and I'm even more impatient to see the new Muppet movie with my friends on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
                        That just made me laugh and feel slightly less irritated with the US political system. Apparently we're not the only ones with massive problems.
                        Don't worry, we Brits don't escape ballsing up our politics too.

Lol.... "professional musician" combined with an icon of Animal.
                        And even funnier that it says Kermit right above it.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think that if you want to be a politician anywhere in the world today, you have to have one foot deep in the dudu of insanity and the other one inside the mouth!

Long for the days when we had statesmen (and women) and not politicians! :
                          sigpic

Comment

I'll second that Laurie!

Comment

Just spent the weekend with a couple of friends ... lots of reminiscing about TSE (Pam was there too) and anecdotes from the last few AT events -- including a re-enactment of my curling attempts yet again, of course

Also watching of Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows (finally!) as well as Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog So much fun!

Gah I miss my friends that live so far away...
                              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                              ames on facebook
                              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                                I'm in a choir. We've been rehearsing for a couple of weeks already ...

Mumsey
                                Rehearsals for my choir Christmas music started in September!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X