GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
    EH-T you're very welcome. i thought you might enjoy getting that. i just asked him to write what he did and said it was a long story-didn't try to explain it. i drew the curling stone on a piece of paper and he copied it on the photo, so neither of us are very good at drawing. but, you figured out what it was, so it was at least recognizable.
    i expected to have to walk out when he talked because i had heard that he had a pretty foul mouth and i don't care to sit and listen to that. but i didn't hear one swear word from him. of course we were sitting in the back and he kept holding his mic too far from his mouth, so we only heard about half of what he said. he was very friendly at the autograph table. we only had day tickets so we were the last to get autographs. we waited 3 1/2 hours. typical creation ent.
    next year is the last chicago creation con so i'm trying to talk amanda into going. can't believe i won't get to see her again for 14 months.
    I've never been to Chicago. Maybe next year I will go if AT and CJ are both there. Could be fun!
    sigpic

Comment

Chicago is definitely doable from here ... when is this event again? *contemplates*
      ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
      ames on facebook
      ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
        Chicago is definitely doable from here ... when is this event again? *contemplates*
        It is Aug 17-19.

I have always wanted to go to Chicago and if CJ and AT were there it would be very tempting. On the negative side: I am not a fan of Creation and I seem to already be doing a lot of travelling (I hope) in 2012.

One of the friends involved in the Vegas trip is on my dragon boat team. We are racing this weekend so I mentioned to her when I saw her that Nov 2012 wasn't really good for me.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          It is Aug 17-19.

I have always wanted to go to Chicago and if CJ and AT were there it would be very tempting. On the negative side: I am not a fan of Creation and I seem to already be doing a lot of travelling (I hope) in 2012.

One of the friends involved in the Vegas trip is on my dragon boat team. We are racing this weekend so I mentioned to her when I saw her that Nov 2012 wasn't really good for me.
          What is a dragon boat team?

Comment

A team which races against other dragon boats.
            sigpic

Comment

Ooh, you've not been to a dragon boat race before? They're very cool ... we have races on the Grand (the river running through our city) every year at Riverfest ... boats are very colourful, usually with a dragon's head at the front They hold many pairs of rowers, one drummer to keep the stroke beat, and one person steering. I'll leave it to Eh-T to give the inside view (didn't know you did that - geesh woman, you are just full of hidden surprises!)

As to the Chicago trip ... IF I'm still on this shift, I can swing a weekend trip, depending on how early on the Friday things kickoff. (I finish work at 2am, and it's a 9 or so hour drive from here... sleep might possibly be a thought in there as well, at some point...)
              Definite potential for doability ... and then I can see for myself whether I agree or disagree with the various comments about Creation events!

ames on facebook

Comment

@dragon con, i mentioned it to amanda and she said she doesn't like the way they treat the fans. but the way i see it, the fans can kinda do what they want(definitely within reason, tho) because what can they do-ban you from future events? there won't be any! maybe if enough people write to her she might consider coming. we could have a mini gabit reunion.

Comment

I got the impression that Chicago would be the last Creation Stargate convention. I would consider going to the Vancouver one but with AT6 six months later it would be a pretty big jolt to the pocket book. I'm not crazy about creation but the Vancouver convention always has lots of the Stargate folks; most of them being local and all. TSE2 may be awhile and it might be the last chance to see many of the stargate actors.

Creation has mellowed a bit in the last couple of years at least in Chicago. The security people they have had lately are less; I guess I would say intense/controlling. You get the idea. But Creation is no GABIT! There is no comparison. The GABIT folks run the best 'convention'; not to mention they are some of the nicest people I've ever met. They really care that everyone has a good experience. The attendees as far as I am concerned are fantastic. We come from all over the world to reconnect with each other and help two wonderful charities and , oh yeah, see Amanda It is for me a very uplifting weekend.

Wow, I cannot wait for January then November; Wohooo....

Comment

I hope this doesn't sound corny or "hokey" as a certain beautiful person calls it...but you get the feeling of "family" when at a Gabit event. I don't recall one single moment at AT4 where any of the stewards or staff or G4 or anyone made you feel less important than the next person. HUGE reason why I am returning for AT6. Just saying.
                    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I talked to my parents about the Chicago Creation con (I'd be bringing my mom with me if I went) ... we crunched some numbers, and with it being so close (relatively speaking) to AT6, I dunna think it's going to happen Mom's quite disappointed - her face so lit up when I mentioned it was in Chicago (and therefore drivable - she's still not okayed for air travel, otherwise I'd have been strongly suggesting we aim for the Vancouver event instead as it would time out better financially speaking for us). I would put out there that she'll just have to join us for AT7, but somehow I don't think that'll go over so well right now!

I agree with you chelle (and don't think it's at all hokey to believe so) The GABIT team is *very* good at making every guest feel like part of the family. A large, rather loud, and occassionally somewhat dysfunctional family, but a definite family nonetheless!

ames on facebook

Comment

i went to chicago a couple of years ago and.....you know you expect a crush of people (round 1000 attendees i think) and you're gonna wait. It's gonna be assembly line. there's no other way that you can get that many people in and out. They go for quantity over quality...as in quantity of people they can get in and out over the quality of your time.

If you go into it expecting personally made charms and photos and family like moments...you're gonna be disappointed. You go into it expecting to pay for access but to be one of hundreds also wanting that same access, you're not going to be disappointed. Gabit is family, creation is business.

It's kinda like shopping at the corner store whose owners you've known for 10 years vs running down to walmart to grab groceries.

or a boutique vs a chain store.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          i went to chicago a couple of years ago and.....you know you expect a crush of people (round 1000 attendees i think) and you're gonna wait. It's gonna be assembly line. there's no other way that you can get that many people in and out. They go for quantity over quality...as in quantity of people they can get in and out over the quality of your time.

If you go into it expecting personally made charms and photos and family like moments...you're gonna be disappointed. You go into it expecting to pay for access but to be one of hundreds also wanting that same access, you're not going to be disappointed. Gabit is family, creation is business.

It's kinda like shopping at the corner store whose owners you've known for 10 years vs running down to walmart to grab groceries.

or a boutique vs a chain store.
                          I was biting my tongue because I wanted to comment....but now that you've put it out there..

Comment

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to read your comments. This is a fabulous reward for what we aim for in our events. It looks like we are doing it right, and it makes me very proud to be a part of it.

Huggles

Mumsey
                            For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

I've been to only one Creation event-- my first con-- and was extremely unimpressed. Especially having been to Dragon Con and AT5 now. In fact, it took me 2 years after my first Creation to go to another con. DC and AT5 are so different that they can't be compared. I have a blast at D*C, mostly due to the fantastic people watching climate. And the fact that it's so easy to make new friends. AT5 was also great for making friends, but in a different way. I felt like I made what I hope will be life-long connections there, whereas at DC, you make passing friends and then they fall away after the weekend. (Other than the people you connect with there that you already knew )
                              sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                                I can't tell you how happy it makes me to read your comments. This is a fabulous reward for what we aim for in our events. It looks like we are doing it right, and it makes me very proud to be a part of it.

Huggles

Mumsey
                                Mumsey, you Gabiteers don't put on a "con", you put on a grand party and invite all your friends. You can't compare a "creation" con with a Gabit event! There is no comparison. Its like comparing dessert (Gabit) with moldy leftovers (Creation).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X