No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We get 11. New Years day, day after New Years, Waitangi day (when the Treaty of Waitangi was signed between the British Crown and the Maori in 1840), Good Friday, Easter Monday, ANZAC day, Queen's Birthday (not her actual one, but the first Monday in June), Labour Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and then the provincial days- in my case Wellington Anniversary day.

Our shops legally have to close on Good Friday and Easter Sunday, and alcohol can't be sold.

For such a multicultural society, there are a lot of Christian holidays here. I would be happy to swap out say... Good Friday for a day later in the year for Matariki- Maori New Year. And if we ditch the royal family (yes please) we can have a day that means more to us than Queen's Birthday. When is Amanda Tapping's birthday again?
    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

not in the states. Now if you work for a religious institution then you can get something. Like if you work for Catholic Charities, etc.

for my holidays i get
      Martin Luthere King day
      memorial Day
      Fourth of July
      Labor Day
      Veterans Day
      Thanksgiving (Thu and friday)
      christmas
      new years

if i were Federal, I'd also get presidents day and flag day and columbus day and a couple of others

Christmas is the only religious based holiday that is popularly taken off

I think about every other country in the world has more holidays than we do. As in the 'official state/national holiday, take the day off'
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

ah... the one advantage to being disabled is that i get every day off. (like i said -that's the ONLY advantage) i worked in a hospital-emergency, so holidays were rarely actually taken on the actual day.

happy Easter everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
          ah... the one advantage to being disabled is that i get every day off. (like i said -that's the ONLY advantage) i worked in a hospital-emergency, so holidays were rarely actually taken on the actual day.
          happy Easter everyone.
          Working in a nursing home means there is no such things as a public holiday per se...if it falls on your shift you have to work it...if not it's just another day.
          We actually get a public holiday for a horse race here in Melbourne...Melbourne Cup day...but it always falls on the day I work so I never get cup day off. This year I had to work through Easter as it was my shift so I worked 3 public holidays which should make my bank balance a little happier. But as of today, once hubby gets home, I'll be looking at either quitting my job or at the very least looking for a new one ...preferably not in the same environment I'm in now. I'm kinda caught between a rock and a hard place at work at the moment...I'll be seeing my boss on Wednesday after having apparently been reported last week. It's that damn proverbial knife in the back situation...yet again.
          On the upside, I'm being really good with my savings for AT6 having put all my loose change in my money tin plus all small notes I find in my purse at the end of my working week.
          All I need now is the date and I'll be a happy little saver!!!
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Yeah, some of my colleagues had to work too. I didn't go away for the weekend at all because I didn't actually find out until Thursday if I had the days off or not I kept forgetting to ask. Turns out people snapped up the shifts months ago because they wanted the holiday pay. I just show up to work because 90% of the time I have a fixed shift... I don't really know how the roster works yet

In other news, I finally found out what a certain chunk of fandom have against me and it's absolutely nothing to do with anything I have done! Crazy...
            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Just because you're special.

Comment

I managed to actually celebrate Easter a little bit. I was very proud of myself. Emergency services don't get to take holidays off unless we're usually not scheduled that day or we manage to get approval for a vacation day (2 people per shift & it's done on seniority basis so most of us bottom of the totem pole people can assume it won't be available). Our union managed to get holiday pay for us about 4 years back, but it only applies to New Year's Eve & Day, Christmas Eve & Day, Thanksgiving, and Fourth of July. Mostly I forget that the other holidays exist. I was hanging out with friends one Sunday night and we ran later than we usually do. They mentioned that it didn't matter because they didn't have work in the morning. I sat there for a couple of moments in complete confusion, trying to figure out if it was really Saturday night. Says friend, "No work because of the holiday, remember?" "What? What holiday?" "President's Day." "Oh. People get that off work?" Ah, the joys of never having had a job with a normal work schedule. That's one of my goals: get a job where I can have evenings, weekends and holidays off.

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                  In other news, I finally found out what a certain chunk of fandom have against me and it's absolutely nothing to do with anything I have done! Crazy...
                  Against you? What?? Crazy indeed.
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                    Yeah, some of my colleagues had to work too. I didn't go away for the weekend at all because I didn't actually find out until Thursday if I had the days off or not I kept forgetting to ask. Turns out people snapped up the shifts months ago because they wanted the holiday pay. I just show up to work because 90% of the time I have a fixed shift... I don't really know how the roster works yet

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                    Against you? What?? Crazy indeed.
                    Is there some kind of crazy anti-pantless group out there?
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

HAha, now that would make more sense because it would actually be related to something I had done
                      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

What? No date for AT6 yet? (runs away before the G4 check in )

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

they're all pretty busy in real life right now
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Haha, watch it Eh-T!
                            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

EH-T you need to flash yourself with the badge.

Comment

Hey! There'll be no flashing around here...unless your name is Neep or EH-T!!

Flu season is approaching and I have my first cold settling in nicely already...gonna be an interesting winter. Ever since my journey to Germany/AT4 I've had chest infections & been prone to colds & flu more than I have since I was a baby when I used to get bronchitis every 6 weeks...I feel like I see more of my doctor than I do of my hubby. Upside is we should hit the medicare safety net threshold soon so the bills should be a lot cheaper. .
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X