No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since we are now only two weeks away from AT5, I thought I take the opportunity to remind everyone about one of the many fundraising events which is taking place over the weekend - that is a hug from either myself or Julia (Hague) - or both - for S4K.

I will be arriving late morning on the Friday and will likely be attending the newbies meet and greet on the Friday afternoon for anyone who might be interested in starting the "hug fest" before everything kicks off in earnest.

Over the weekend I am part of the stewarding team working in the photo and auto sessions, so everyone will get an opportunity of a hug (if they want one) - this is likely to be the easiest place to also get a hug from Julia.

Remember that all of the money raised from people getting hugs from either myself or Julia, will be donated to Sanctuary For Kids and added into the overall total raised over the weekend.

Elaine
    Last edited by The Kit Kat Lady; 28 January 2011, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
      Is there something on Amanda's chin?
      I think it is just a shadow from her hand. Perhaps PengYn or SJSL can enlighten us.

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
      ok.....booked the flights and the hotel. I'm arriving Feb 9 and leaving Feb 13..yes on Sunday.. I have an exam early Monday morning, so I must return to Phoenix early.
      Whirlwind tour!

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
      Isn't it just the shadow from her own hand?

*edit* Or you know... Eh-T smacked her one for the auction incident.
      I will have you know that I have never smacked AT. On the other hand, she has smacked me on numerous occasions, in more ways than one.

Originally posted by 2Shy View Post
      And nice sig EH-T! But the question still goes unanswered: Are you still bitter?
      A wee bit.

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
      If it's any comfort, my mother won't be coming this trip, so I won't be whispering a hurried reminder that she's bidding in GBP when she forgets to do the math in her head for how much she really just bid, and she won't be getting caught up in the excitement of a bidding war.
      That was so funny.

You have a non-abnormal side of your family???
      Yes, everyone not on this forum.

Update on tim tam burns.. .all the redness and swelling has gone down and she's off to bed.

I am the worst daughter ever. o_0
      But you are a pretty good niece.

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
      Oh yeah, Neep and I are all over that one. Defy, not obey. We got it.

Originally posted by The Kit Kat Lady View Post
      Since we are now only two weeks away from AT5, I thought I take the opportunity to remind everyone about one of the many fundraising events which is taking place over the weekend - that is a hug from either myself or Julia (Hague) - or both - for S4K.

I will be arriving late morning on the Friday and will likely be attending the newbies meet and greet on the Friday afternoon for anyone who might be interested in starting the "hug fest" before everything kicks off in earnest.

Over the weekend I am part of the stewarding team working in the photo and auto sessions, so everyone will get an opportunity of a hug (if they want one) - this is likely to be the easiest place to also get a hug from Julia.

Remember that all of the money raised from people getting hugs from either myself or Julia, will be donated to Sanctuary For Kids and added into the overall total raised over the weekend.

Elaine
      Maybe you should also remind folk of when might not be a good time to hug Julia (I'm thinking, for example, when she is walking through the lobby with AT when they are trying to get from one place to another)

BTW, I arrive early Wednesday morning and plan on doing some sightseeing if anyone else is there and wants to join me, let me know. Also, as i have done the JTR Walk, I was thinking of going to the theatre on Wed night as well. Again, if you are interested, let me know.
      Last edited by EH-T; 28 January 2011, 05:30 AM.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
        BTW, I arrive early Wednesday morning and plan on doing some sightseeing if anyone else is there and wants to join me, let me know. Also, as i have done the JTR Walk, I was thinking of going to the theatre on Wed night as well. Again, if you are interested, let me know.
        In addition to Thursday night's plans or instead of? Just a little case of 'need to know' as I'll be picking up your ticket on Thursday.

Comment

Maybe you should also remind folk of when might not be a good time to hug Julia (I'm thinking, for example, when she is walking through the lobby with AT when they are trying to get from one place to another)
          Maybe we should make signs to tape on their backs when they're not looking... "Will hug people for charity money." Then when they eventually realize what we've done, they can just wear the signs when they're available for hugs...

Comment

To dial international numbers on a cell phone you don't need the country code. For the UK you would just dial +44(rest of the number here).

The + is usually dialed by holding down the 0 key until a + appears. Incidentally, you can add a + to US numbers as well (and you might need to if dialing out of the country - I can't remember). It would be +1(area code and number).

Comment

Update on tim tam burns.. .all the redness and swelling has gone down and she's off to bed.

I am the worst daughter ever. o_0
              Not true....just a "typical" kid that forgot to tell her something.

If you were really the worst daughter you wouldn't be upset about the accident!
              Relax. Mothers love you no matter how stupid you get, especially if you love them back!
              sigpic

Comment

Okay, will someone remind me....Hugs for $$$? When, where, how much, etc!
                I forgot!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                  In addition to Thursday night's plans or instead of? Just a little case of 'need to know' as I'll be picking up your ticket on Thursday.
                  Definitely in addition to Thursday. The more theatre, the better.

While we are talking about tickets, is the plan to meet at the square at an appointed time? Is there group touring with a stop there? Are people just handing you money the day before?

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
                  Maybe we should make signs to tape on their backs when they're not looking... "Will hug people for charity money." Then when they eventually realize what we've done, they can just wear the signs when they're available for hugs...
                  I believe Kit Kat lady will be wearing a t-shirt that indicates we should hug her.

Originally posted by llp View Post
                  Okay, will someone remind me....Hugs for $$$? When, where, how much, etc!
                  I forgot!
                  Kit Kat Lady and Julia will allow people to hug them (imagine ). I can't recall if it is for a set fee or anything you wish to give.

Comment

Below is the original post from both the Gabit forums and from earlier in this thread - it includes information on when might not be the best time to approach Julia:

"Some of you may know that I recently attended a weekend convention in the UK and got involved in raising some money for S4K. What started out as something fun between friends, escalated into something far wider.

Jenn Scheffler, one of the Gabit staff, offered to donate £1 for every person I hugged over the weekend, with all money raised being donated to Amanda's charity, Sanctuary For Kids. Over the course of the weekend, through the generosity of Jenn, plus many people who also generously offered to donate money in exchange for a hug when I next saw them, we managed to raise a staggering £315.

Therefore in keeping with the theme that many people come to associate with Gabit Events (how many of you remember the Quilt of Many Hugs or generally arrive at the start of the weekend and find yourself constantly being hugged by someone within the "Gabit family"?), Jenn and I have been given the go-ahead to raise more money through hugs at AT5.

Over the weekend of AT5, I will be offering hugs to any attendees who would like to take part in the fun, in exchange for them donating £1 to S4K. Not everyone is able to take part in bidding for items in the charity auction, but want to feel that they have contributed in some small way to the charities supported by Amanda and Gabit, and this is one of the many ways that people can do just that for S4K.

The hugs will continue throughout the weekend, and any and all money raised by attendees will be included in the overall total. In addition to getting hugs from me, Julia has also offered to give out hugs in the same way for S4K. So you can have a warm Gabit hug from either me or Julia or both of us. Because of the careful planning of the schedule, please do not ask Julia to stop for a hug whilst she is with Amanda - there will be plenty of opportunities to get a hug from her over the course of the event at the cocktail party, photo or auto sessions.

If you spot me wandering around during the weekend, please come and say hello, at some point you will come across me as part of the stewarding team in the photo and auto sessions, but I am offering hugs at any time throughout the weekend starting on the Friday.

Whilst this is clearly a very simple and fun way to help to support S4K, we would ask that other groups of people do not try to get involved. Simplistically, this will avoid any embarrassing situations where a person might say no, because they have already donated to several other people. Also remember that as always hugs from the rest of the Gabit team are free (especially Mumsey "hug magnet" Jacobs) but this is a fun way of raising considerable money for S4K in the warmest possible way.

So spread the word that AT5 - Reverberations will be the weekend of many hugs!"

Hopefully this covers everything people may wish to know, but I do frequent both the GW and Gabit forums on a regular basis, although I don't post as often here, so post any questions you may have and I'll try to answer them.

I believe the intention is that we'll have a couple of buckets available in the photo/auto room over the weekend for people to drop donations into. And we'll also have something sorted no doubt for the hugs to start on the Friday for anyone who is interested in participating.

The only other thing I would mention is that another steward may well be wandering around taking photos of some of the hugs, so if you would prefer to not have this happen just let us know. Also, if you want a photo on your own camera, that will be best done in the hotel lobby as you will have to hand your camera (and everything else) in at the bag check when you enter the room - just remember that hugs in the lobby may prove harder for Julia's availability.
                    Last edited by The Kit Kat Lady; 28 January 2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Definitely in addition to Thursday. The more theatre, the better.

While we are talking about tickets, is the plan to meet at the square at an appointed time? Is there group touring with a stop there? Are people just handing you money the day before?
                      Awesome. Was hoping you were still in.

Will you be at the Ren on Thursday? We'll be coming from a different hotel that day, stopping by Leicester Square and then checking into the Ren by 1ish. My thought was to meet in the lobby and head out together. Who's not staying at the Ren on Thursday night??

Looking at the website ( http://www.tkts.co.uk/) it looks like times for the evening shows are around 7.30/8pm. I was hoping we could catch some dinner before heading to the show and if that was agreed, we'd prolly need to leave the Ren by 4 or 5pm.

Also, going on what's on sale as of today and to give us some sort of an idea of what you're interested in seeing, what looks good to everyone? Also, what price range is within your budget?

Comment

Hi EH-T, Your MTM seatmate here....I'll be arriving Wednesday morning and was planning on doing some sightseeing. If you'd still like some company, let me know.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

Thanks, sueKay!

Thanks, Mala!

Comment

Eh-T, I'm planning on visiting a museum or two on the Wed, if you're interested ... I also recommend Mme Toussaud's if you're feeling picture-happy (but be prepared to queue for a LONG time), the London Dungeons (again with the queues), and checking out the crown jewels is cool too -- our beefeater was an awesome tour guide and gladly posed for pics

I don't recommend the London Zoo (just made me sad when I was there )...
                          Oooh, and for an interesting Canadian kick, head over to Buckingham Palace and check out the Canada Gate! No seriously, there's a Canada Gate - I have pictures and everything! (Well we found it an exciting discovery at the time, anyway )
                          ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                          ames on facebook
                          ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

[QUOTE]
                            Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                            Awesome. Was hoping you were still in.
                            Of course, what is more fun than a show with you all?

Will you be at the Ren on Thursday? We'll be coming from a different hotel that day, stopping by Leicester Square and then checking into the Ren by 1ish. My thought was to meet in the lobby and head out together. Who's not staying at the Ren on Thursday night??
                            I'm at the Ren as of Wed but will be heading out to do some sightseeing on Thursday so maybe meeting at Leicester square would work best. I can be back to meet everyone in the lobby to head out for dinner and the show (though if we know where we are going for dinner, meeting there might save a lot of tube time)

Looking at the website ( http://www.tkts.co.uk/) it looks like times for the evening shows are around 7.30/8pm. I was hoping we could catch some dinner before heading to the show and if that was agreed, we'd prolly need to leave the Ren by 4 or 5pm.
                            See above

Also, going on what's on sale as of today and to give us some sort of an idea of what you're interested in seeing, what looks good to everyone? Also, what price range is within your budget?
                            I'll check the site but I am pretty open to any show. My price range is pretty open as well.

Originally posted by starflight View Post
                            Hi EH-T, Your MTM seatmate here....I'll be arriving Wednesday morning and was planning on doing some sightseeing. If you'd still like some company, let me know.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.
                            Wonderful! Sent you a pm.

Originally posted by ames View Post
                            Eh-T, I'm planning on visiting a museum or two on the Wed, if you're interested ... I also recommend Mme Toussaud's if you're feeling picture-happy (but be prepared to queue for a LONG time), the London Dungeons (again with the queues), and checking out the crown jewels is cool too -- our beefeater was an awesome tour guide and gladly posed for pics

I don't recommend the London Zoo (just made me sad when I was there )...
                            Oooh, and for an interesting Canadian kick, head over to Buckingham Palace and check out the Canada Gate! No seriously, there's a Canada Gate - I have pictures and everything! (Well we found it an exciting discovery at the time, anyway )
                            Excellent! I'l send you a pm too. Not really into wax museums but love all others. Seen the crown jewels but the dungeons sound fun.

Shadow be gone! Note the sig (don't want to be accused of smaking AT). Big thanks to PengYn for the pic (AT was actually pointing at me there), SamJackShipLover for the sig and Mala 50 for a little photoshopping magic.

Comment

I'm at the Ren as of Wed but will be heading out to do some sightseeing on Thursday so maybe meeting at Leicester square would work best. I can be back to meet everyone in the lobby to head out for dinner and the show (though if we know where we are going for dinner, meeting there might save a lot of tube time)
                              Excellent! If you could meet us at Leicester Square by 11am on Thursday, that would work great. Also, we certainly could meet outside the theatre and then head to a local restuartant/pub for some dinner together beforehand. As you said, it would be easier for you and no sense wasting monies on the tube when you're out and about sightseeing that day anyways.

Ames! You're still meeting us at 11am at the Square as well, right?

Three days!

Comment

Skidding in. Very simple re my participation in the hugs for S4K. No hugs from anyone (including Elaine) for S4K in the auto session. I might resemble a bit of a Jack in the Box if that happened and the auto session is about Amanda and the person she is talking to so it would be a tad distracting for them to say the least! LOL!

Will be wandering around in the photo session so very happy to give S4K hugs.
                                *Anything* you donate to S4K will be warmly welcomed. My little sidekicks Jenn and Becka will take donations since they are usually right at my side.

Thanks for pointing out that trying to get a hug from me while I am running next to Amanda going across the foyer would be a non starter. Can't fritz with the schedule and stopping me in my tracks might shave a minute off the well planned timing <g>!!

I'll be around and about at many times during the Event, even the Cocktail Party. Provided I'm not with Amanda or in the autosession then I'm huggable!

See you all soon,

Julia
                                G4
                                To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X