GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antoa View Post
    I have never been to Northern Ireland, but have been to a big chunk of the rest of the island and my favorite part, by far was the western shore from Co. Kerry up to Co. Galway.
    Might have to pick your brain later about Ireland, specifically the Cork area. We'll only be there for a couple of nights (KT Tunstall concert..Woo!) but we will have some sightseeing time available and wonder what you definitely might recommend given our time limit.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
      Northern Ireland is part of the UK and uses the GBP. The main city (and capitol) in Northern Ireland is Belfast.

The rest of Ireland is not part of the UK and uses the Euro. The main cities are Dublin (capitol), Cork, Waterford, Shannon (another main airport here), Limerick (closest city to Paul (Shirt N Tie)), Galway, etc.

Here is a handy wikipedia page with a map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Ireland

I have never been to Northern Ireland, but have been to a big chunk of the rest of the island and my favorite part, by far was the western shore from Co. Kerry up to Co. Galway.

But Paul (Shirt N tie) and Mary (myblackrose) are better versed in the country since they were born and raised there. Oh, and MasterBraytac is Irish too.
      She's got it in one... But let me know if there's any more information you need - especially about specific parts of Ireland.

Ireland and the UK are in the same time zone (GMT) and Northern Ireland is considered part of the United Kingdom. The Republic of Ireland (the rest of it) is completely independent and is not part of the United Kingdom. Great Britain is usually only used to refer to the island itself - so England, Scotland and Wales but not Northern Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
        Here's a site with information about transport from Heathrow to hotel. You can use a Hoppabus, which costs 4 GBP or a free bus. They are both explained on the site and both quite easy once you're there.

I don't know about a grocery store.
        Thanks for the info!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
          There is the infamous gas station just across the road from the Ren which does have a couple of things like sandwiches, sweets, coke/water but there is also a small grocery store if you just walk past that gas station.

In addition to that there is a small (yet bigger than the grocery store) Tesco's down the street. It is about 3/4 of a mile walk.
          Why is the gas station infamous? Did something interesting occur there?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starsong101 View Post
            A couple of things:

1) did you forget Amanda told us she is the Empress of the Universe
            2) For transportation to the REN. Make your way to the buses (follow the signs), once outside find the pole that lists bus 111. It will drop you off just across from the REN. Ask the bus driver. It is free the buses have a deal with the Heathrow hotels

Have a great trip. I'll sure miss you all this time. Be sure to post so we know what's going on.
            Apparently, my flight is coming in at Terminal 5. The buses listed don't include 111. From where do you "make your way to the buses"? Do I need to get to the Central Bus Station first and then look for this bus?

Also, about the Oyster card...it's good on multiple days, right? You put money on it and it's good til it runs out and you can put more on it? Am I understanding it correctly?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
              Might have to pick your brain later about Ireland, specifically the Cork area. We'll only be there for a couple of nights (KT Tunstall concert..Woo!) but we will have some sightseeing time available and wonder what you definitely might recommend given our time limit.
              You are going to DIE over KT. She is amazing. LMK if you want to see any of the videos I took of her concert here in NYC.
              sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by penjab View Post
                Why is the gas station infamous? Did something interesting occur there?
                I am not at liberty to discuss that here. ;-)

You will find that just about everyone from the con will make a trip to the gas station during the weekend.

Comment

Also, about the Oyster card...it's good on multiple days, right? You put money on it and it's good til it runs out and you can put more on it? Am I understanding it correctly?
                  Yes indeed! You just top it up and keep going until it runs out. The barriers tell you your balance and the price of your trip every time you touch out. You can make a journey that puts your balance into the negative, but it won't let you make another journey once your balance is negative and you'll need to top up again. Every station has a ticket machine where you can top up using cash or a credit card, even if the ticket office is closed.

Here is a list of Oyster fares for 2011. Cap is the maximum price that you'll pay per day when using Oyster - regardless of how many journeys you make...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

Comment

Apparently, my flight is coming in at Terminal 5. The buses listed don't include 111. From where do you "make your way to the buses"? Do I need to get to the Central Bus Station first and then look for this bus?
                    The 285 goes to T5 I believe. That'll take you to/past the Ren too.
                    sigpic

Comment

285 is a free one IIRC, and bus 111...it'll take you to hampton court palace if you stay on it long enough
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I found this helpful... http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                          You are going to DIE over KT. She is amazing. LMK if you want to see any of the videos I took of her concert here in NYC.
                          Are you kidding?! YES!

Originally posted by myblackrose View Post
                          Yes indeed! You just top it up and keep going until it runs out. The barriers tell you your balance and the price of your trip every time you touch out. You can make a journey that puts your balance into the negative, but it won't let you make another journey once your balance is negative and you'll need to top up again. Every station has a ticket machine where you can top up using cash or a credit card, even if the ticket office is closed.

Here is a list of Oyster fares for 2011. Cap is the maximum price that you'll pay per day when using Oyster - regardless of how many journeys you make...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx
                          Thanks for the info! One of our hotels is a bit out in the 'boonies' of London in zone 4 and quite a bit of what we want to see and do seems to be in the zone one range...and Heathrow in zone 6 of course. Knowing how much we'll be paying each way will help us to budget everything more.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post

Thanks for the info! One of our hotels is a bit out in the 'boonies' of London in zone 4 and quite a bit of what we want to see and do seems to be in the zone one range...and Heathrow in zone 6 of course. Knowing how much we'll be paying each way will help us to budget everything more.

Thank you everyone for the helpful information. I have been to London twice and know it pretty well but both times flew into Gatwick so Heathrow is completely unknown to me. They didn't have this Oyster card last time I was there either. I just got the weekly travel card and it worked wonderfully. It has been quite a while though since I was last there.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hehehe! So excited! Writing my packing list today!!

And if Heathrow need its runways ploughed to let some of you guys and Amanda over the big pond, I'll put a snow plough on to my wheelchair and clear it myself!!
                              *Bounces*

Julia(samcarterrules)
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                                Hehehe! So excited! Writing my packing list today!!

And if Heathrow need its runways ploughed to let some of you guys and Amanda over the big pond, I'll put a snow plough on to my wheelchair and clear it myself!!
                                *Bounces*

Julia(samcarterrules)
                                Excellent.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X