No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my friends usually stay at the Ibis, which is block or so away. no guarantee if the rate is better or not, but there's also a holiday inn about 2 blocks away too
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Lame

If you are staying at the Ren either before or after they might keep your big luggage. You're only going to be gone overnight you don't need everything. I did this for the 4 days I was in London after AT3. They kept my bag and I took the smaller one with me (a back pack on wheels). I came back and got my bag and went to rent a car. They knew I would not be back to catch my plane for a month and they kept it anyway. So give it a try no need to haul it all over England if you don't have to.

Anyway a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
        Oooh! Self-employed is a hard one. Yes you have the freedom to set your own hours, but you also need to plan out acquiring your own health insurance and finding ways to keep the influx of money coming in. It's a good move though as I'd imagine nothing beats being your own boss. Good luck with it!

I'm not certain at the moment either on days. We're planning on doing L.A. for a few days then heading down to Tijuana, Mexico for a few before flying over to London, but we want to take a few days before and afterward as well to explore here as well. However we figure it, it's going to be a blast for sure.
        Yeah, I'm not stressing over it too much right now. However, I do want to buy my ticket in advance to get the best fare I can. I tend to overthink things tho I'm kind of itching to do a few things, so we'll see.

I'd like to 4th 5th and 6th the please be careful about Tijuana, it's REALLY not safe. I was in San Diego a year or so ago and was told this numerous times. Or if you go, go for a few hours in the day and come back! San Diego is a cool town to spend a few days in if you are looking for a change from LA.
        sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

I was down in Tijuana in May - but only for the day. It's extremely quiet down there now due to the economy - apart from myself there was only a handful of tourists in the shopping districts which is highly unusual.
          If you only stick to the shopping streets (about a 3 block area) it's fine during the day - there's a big silver archway at the end of the main street and you'll be told very clearly not to go past that (it's gang/drug territory).
          If you are keen to go, there are a lot of places that'll take you down in a coach from San Diego with a tour guide for the day for $30 or so (Flight Centre can book it)...that way you can be driven around town and see things, have lunch, and do a bit of shopping - very safe and easy. I'm not a big shopper, but I did get a fantastic metal sculpture that I love.
          San Diego is lovely though - I wish I'd had more time on the Midway.
          The Wraith the Wraith are a very bad race. A very bad race indeed
          Next convention: Creation LA SG/FS/Eureka WH13 Sanctuary TriCon

Comment

Woah. I'm totally feeling the love here. Warnings about Tijuana will be taken to heart. Thanks everyone! We'll plan out something else I'm thinking. I just want somewhere warm with it being February, so we'll see how it goes. I'm more than certain we'll get a good dose of the cold temps later in London.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              there were two little ones at MTM, for one the mom 'gave up' her assigned seat and took one at the back of the room so she could make a quick exit with the child, and keep him in his stroller. for another it was mom and gran and they took turns watching the toddler while each got their photos.

both children were pretty well behaved or their parents took speedy steps to remove them from the room if they were having fussy moments.

Yeah, at first I wondered why in the heck would someone buy such an expensive ticket and then bring a kid so young to MTM but they were mostly well behaved. Other than the one woman letting her kid run around the dealers room and ignore him when he would fall over just to get attention from anyone else in the room.
              sigpic
              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                I am not sure if you have ever been to Tijuana, but it is *really not* a recommended tourist destination. San Diego is gorgeous and worth a trip down there form L.A., but I recommend staying on this side of the border.

I'll add my own warning about TJ as well. I live in Los Angeles and go to San Diego frequently. Go there instead. Spend some time at the Zoo and in the Gaslamp area by the bay. It's much safer.

I wouldn't even go to TJ during the day with friends.
                sigpic

Comment

Hmmmmm....trying to decide what would be worse. TJ or Iraq-outside the green zone.

go to the zoo instead. you can feed the sting-rays and seals and maybe even the dolphins. they have a really good zoo there. i used to have a "shamoo, killer whale club"card. i thought that was cool.

Comment

Originally posted by starsong101 View Post
                    Lame

If you are staying at the Ren either before or after they might keep your big luggage. You're only going to be gone overnight you don't need everything. I did this for the 4 days I was in London after AT3. They kept my bag and I took the smaller one with me (a back pack on wheels). I came back and got my bag and went to rent a car. They knew I would not be back to catch my plane for a month and they kept it anyway. So give it a try no need to haul it all over England if you don't have to.

Anyway a thought.
                    i thought of that, but didn't know if they would do it. also, i wouldn't want to lose my room, because they have a limited number of handicap rooms. i suppose if it's prearranged i could keep the room for the other nights. another thing to look into. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose View Post
                      Hmmmmm....trying to decide what would be worse. TJ or Iraq-outside the green zone.
                      Haha - I can find you way way worse places to go than TJ!!

Originally posted by lame moose View Post
                      go to the zoo instead. you can feed the sting-rays and seals and maybe even the dolphins. they have a really good zoo there. i used to have a "shamoo, killer whale club"card. i thought that was cool.
                      The zoo is fantastic (I've been several times and still haven't seen everything) but I think you mean Sea World - I fed the bat rays, seals (and the birds that steal the fish out of your hand), and flamingos there.
                      The Wraith the Wraith are a very bad race. A very bad race indeed
                      Next convention: Creation LA SG/FS/Eureka WH13 Sanctuary TriCon

Comment

Sea World is where you can pet and feed the sting rays and dolphins. Sooo much fun! I am hardly an expert on L.A. and San Diego, but i know some cool places and would be willing to share or play tour guide. Feb is a little chilly to swim at the beach, but going to dip your toes in is fun no matter how cold. There is also a ton of hiking (though not easily accessible without a car - the story of L.A.). I also know of a decent hostel in Hollywood (and one hostel to avoid!) - at least it was decent about 8 or 9 years ago when I last stayed at it.

Comment

Sea World is where you can pet and feed the sting rays and dolphins. Sooo much fun! I am hardly an expert on L.A. and San Diego, but i know some cool places and would be willing to share or play tour guide. Feb is a little chilly to swim at the beach, but going to dip your toes in is fun no matter how cold. There is also a ton of hiking (though not easily accessible without a car - the story of L.A.). I also know of a decent hostel in Hollywood (and one hostel to avoid!) - at least it was decent about 8 or 9 years ago when I last stayed at it.

I hike in the Hollywood hills from the Burbank side. They're horse trails and so they're wide and the view is spectacular. There's the Observatory (which is free) as well.

There's a little hotel behind the Renaissance Hotel on Hollywood Blvd called the Orchid (right behind the Kodak theater) that a lot of overseas folks stay when they want to stay in Hollywood. It's right next to a subway entrance and that'll take you close to Chinatown, Olvera Street (the original Pueblo Los Angeles), and Universal (Citywalk (which is free) is fun if you don't want to do the park itself. ) . It's right over the hill from Burbank if you want to go on any studio tours. WB has them. I don't know if Disney does. I believe Universal does as well.
                          sigpic

Comment

how about Disneyland. in anaheim, close to los angelas. that's a fun way to spend a day. just a thought.

Comment

Disney is about 45 minutes (without traffic and up to 90 minutes or more in traffic) from where I live (near Universal Studios). Griffith Park (Bronson canyon - Lots of Trek filmed there) and the Observatory are on top of my list (they are close to me!) and I have friends that work at WB I've never been on their official tour, but I have wondered around the lot.

I have yet to hit the Huntington Library and Chinese Gardens and the La Brea Tar Pits and other places that I can't think of yet.

Santa Monica Pier is fun as is the drive from there up the PCH to Malibu. There is also the Getty Center - good museum with a killer view!

Comment

That is so sweet of you antoa.
                                The tar pits sound awesome. Forget about the hiking...my feet are killing me from today's work load and after Kapiti last week...I'm happy to just take it easy on my next journey...unless of course the hiking there is not as steep, rigorous and time consuming as Kapiti...it may have only been a 3km climb but it was bush bashing all the way to the top.
                                You know that if you should ever find yourself in Melbourne, I would be more than happy to take you on a tour of our fine city and beyond. Just sayin is all.
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X