No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe.... off topic again. My niece, this time.

She is 5. Watching some movie about cows or something, and one of them said some thing about "perfect pitch."

My niece: "That cow said *****!"

Her dad: "no, it starts with P."

My niece: "... that pow said *****!"

Cheeky monkey. Her brothers will be in trouble again for teaching her to swear.
    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
      Hmmm - or she recognised a kindred spirit at heart? Just a thought
      ...I can so envision you using your new badge -- and the dazed expressions on the recipients' faces!

Amanda's reaction in my case may have had something to do with the fact that Tracy had gone up right before me and informed her that I was really nervous (VERY nervous), so please to be nice to me - she might have been trying to gauge which reaction would be best for me, being a thoughtful person like that I was still in such awe over the fact that she had called me over by name (thx again to Tracy, who was wonderfully understanding!) that my brain was somewhat overloaded with surreal bounciness by that point.

That was also the day that I realised that Amanda was *real*, if that makes any sense. She's not just an actress who portrays these characters through with whom we become familiar - she's a geniunely lovely and giving woman who actually cares about her fans as individual people. In retrospect, this seems pretty darned obvious, but at the time, it was a fairly mind-blowing conclusion to reach - and I'm so glad I have had the opportunity to do so!
      I will never forget meeting Amanda for the first time at AT4, I had been shaking like a leaf from the moment we entered the photo op room. I mean seriously, seriously, shaking. I was nearly in tears I was shaking that much. Her minder kept staring at me which didn't help. I got to the point where there was one person in front of me and Julia, bless her heart was trying to calm me. She said something to Amanda about me being a nervous newbie and Amanda asked why I was so nervous, I just said "B...because you're you." At that point I was wrapped in a massive hug and my nerves reduced somewhat. Seriously I've never been that nervous in meeting anyone, although when it comes to meeting new people, let alone celebs, my social anxiety kicks in.
      sigpic

Comment

The first time I met Amanda I was mentally debating if I could ask for a hug, and while my brain was plodding through what I would do if she said no, she offered me her hand (to shake, of course ) ... at which point I blurted out "Can I have a hug, please?" She laughed, replied "Of course!" and pulled me in for a huge hug! Needless to say, I was bouncy for the rest of the day. (For those of you who have yet to meet me in RL, I am being fairly literal here...I really do bounce when excited. And talk quickly, usually with my hands, while jumping about topics and getting distracted by shinies. Amusing in small doses, so I'm told. Think of a wee one with ADD on a sugar high. Yep, that's me - only bigger )

It also, coincidentally enough, happened to be the first time I had met 3/4 of the G4 (along with quite a few of the rest of the GABIT staff), so all in all an absolutely awesomely memorable day for me! (I still recall a few of them laughing at my reaction to finding out that Julia was texting THE Amanda while we were in queue for the Sanctuary Wep unveiling... *shakes head at self* Silly ames! LOL)

...why yes, I have had both sugar and caffeine tonight. Whyever do you ask? *grins and bats eyelashes in an innocent fashion*
        (Seriously, it was one of those shifts at work tonight -- sugar and caffeine were needed in copious amounts for sheer survivability!)
        Ames, anyone who has not seen you bounce has missed out on something You bounced a lot at AT4 I seem to remember.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by halfbloodme View Post
          I will never forget meeting Amanda for the first time at AT4, I had been shaking like a leaf from the moment we entered the photo op room. I mean seriously, seriously, shaking. I was nearly in tears I was shaking that much. Her minder kept staring at me which didn't help. I got to the point where there was one person in front of me and Julia, bless her heart was trying to calm me. She said something to Amanda about me being a nervous newbie and Amanda asked why I was so nervous, I just said "B...because you're you." At that point I was wrapped in a massive hug and my nerves reduced somewhat. Seriously I've never been that nervous in meeting anyone, although when it comes to meeting new people, let alone celebs, my social anxiety kicks in.
          That was a really, really nice story!

Comment

Hmmm - or she recognised a kindred spirit at heart? Just a thought
            ...I can so envision you using your new badge -- and the dazed expressions on the recipients' faces!

Amanda's reaction in my case may have had something to do with the fact that Tracy had gone up right before me and informed her that I was really nervous (VERY nervous), so please to be nice to me - she might have been trying to gauge which reaction would be best for me, being a thoughtful person like that I was still in such awe over the fact that she had called me over by name (thx again to Tracy, who was wonderfully understanding!) that my brain was somewhat overloaded with surreal bounciness by that point.

That was also the day that I realised that Amanda was *real*, if that makes any sense. She's not just an actress who portrays these characters through with whom we become familiar - she's a geniunely lovely and giving woman who actually cares about her fans as individual people. In retrospect, this seems pretty darned obvious, but at the time, it was a fairly mind-blowing conclusion to reach - and I'm so glad I have had the opportunity to do so!
            Nice of Tracy to do that for you.

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post

She is 5. Watching some movie about cows or something, and one of them said some thing about "perfect pitch."

Are your ever on topic?

I think you might need to get a badge.

Originally posted by halfbloodme View Post
            My first time at AT3 I was observing those in front of me in the autograph line, many of whom were very nervous. I was impressed by how skilled AT was at handling that and putting people at ease. No doubt she has had lots of practice.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post

I love your niece! That's hilarious.

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              Are your ever on topic?

I think you might need to get a badge.
              She's just keeping us entertained.
              Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
              William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
              Anon

Comment

Makes perfect sense, it was exactly the same for me. Before meeting Amanda, I obviously knew there was a real human being behind the characters she portrays on tv, but at the same time in my mind she hadn't really manifested herself as a real person, until I actually met her. That for me had the biggest impact on me in meeting her in real life.

Having said that though, I have to admit that when seeing her for the first time, I swear my initial thought that flew through my head was: "Wow, she looks exactly like she does on TV!"
                *facepalm* LOL!

As a newbie at AT4 I actually missed the newbie welcoming party, so I'm definitely planing on making up for it at AT5. And even though we're not technically crashing the party since we non-newbies too are invited, I'm sure we can come up with something to stir things up a bit. Some gratuitous tackle-hugs anyone?

And I must say, even though I'm not going to TSE, I'm very much looking forward in taking part of all the photos and con reports, I'm sure it's going to be an amazing event! The guest list is impressive and knowing the gabit and attendees it's going to be one helluva weekend!

,.•°´ª´°•., ,.•°´ª´°•., ,.•°´ª´°•., ,.•°´ª´°•., ,.•°´ª´°•., ,.•°´ª´°•.,.•

Comment

Originally posted by 2Shy View Post
                  As a newbie at AT4 I actually missed the newbie welcoming party, so I'm definitely planing on making up for it at AT5. And even though we're not technically crashing the party since we non-newbies too are invited, I'm sure we can come up with something to stir things up a bit. Some gratuitous tackle-hugs anyone?
                  You can find us a new newbie to remember and write down all the Q&S's

And I agree, reading about TSE is already fun and I'm sure it will be an amazing con ... so many cool guests.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ohh .. I just realised, I'm 31 weeks pregnant this weekend, so that's exactly a half year (26 weeks) since AT4. Does time fly or what?
                    sigpic

Comment

Heeeeeeee! Wait, let me lean down and hug the Nubbin. Don't mind me, just hanging with the little one.
                      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                        Ohh .. I just realised, I'm 31 weeks pregnant this weekend, so that's exactly a half year (26 weeks) since AT4. Does time fly or what?
                        31 weeks? Where DOES the time go??
                        sigpic
                        Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                          My first time at AT3 I was observing those in front of me in the autograph line, many of whom were very nervous. I was impressed by how skilled AT was at handling that and putting people at ease. No doubt she has had lots of practice.
                          I'm sure she must have. She was just so kind and genuine and yeah I will gush when I relive that moment, because to me it's permanently ingrained on my cerebellum. The most amazing and most genuine star I've ever met. *happy sigh*
                          sigpic

Comment

ok, back to moose in canada. if i rent a car after tse is over and drive to whistler, do you think i'll finally see a canadian moose? i'm going to be able to be a tourist for 2-3 days and want to make the most of it. i'd like to drive to whistler and back one day(only about 80 miles) go on a whale watch thing one day and browse around vancouver+ burnaby one day. handicap vans are expensive. $150 a day + taxes, but who knows when i'll have the chance to get to b.c. again. if i has known that our friend was willing to take care of my mom and dog for a longer time, i would have planned to drive there instead of flying, but i have already bought my air tickets. oh, well...it wasn't meant to be.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose View Post
                              ok, back to moose in canada. if i rent a car after tse is over and drive to whistler, do you think i'll finally see a canadian moose? i'm going to be able to be a tourist for 2-3 days and want to make the most of it. i'd like to drive to whistler and back one day(only about 80 miles) go on a whale watch thing one day and browse around vancouver+ burnaby one day. handicap vans are expensive. $150 a day + taxes, but who knows when i'll have the chance to get to b.c. again. if i has known that our friend was willing to take care of my mom and dog for a longer time, i would have planned to drive there instead of flying, but i have already bought my air tickets. oh, well...it wasn't meant to be.
                              If you come up to Northern BC, we have an albino moose wandering around the bush near our airport. I haven't seen it but some have.

Comment

if you really want to be sure to see a moose...is there a zoo in BC that has one? Yes, i know wild ones are more 'fun' to see, but a captive moose is a sure bet. if not a zoo, then a wild life park
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X