Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come John is an idiot all of a sudden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you want to know what I really think? The episode was written by Mallozzi, so what more do you expect.

Comment

Okay, I've got it. Well an explaination for why John's judgement was so crappy and all.

Remember that "fog" that made the lights go out and stuff? The one that messed with the radios?

I say, it was the "Fog" that did it!

The "fog", that wasn't really fog, not only messed with techonology, but also did some damage biologocally as well. Maybe some weird brain chemisty changes or something.

We can also blame the machoism on the "Fog" as well!

I just offer this up as an alternative reason to why the Ep was so....weirdly written. Honestly this was not one of my favorite eps at all. Everyone was under-utlized (Why was Vega killed off? Why? It didn't help to further the plot one bit!) and Rodney was in the ep for like all of thirty seconds and given some terrible one liners.

Yeah, anyhoo that's all the explanation I can come up with!

Comment

Yes. The fog was messing with the character's minds. A lovely explanation that I'll go with. *LAS*

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
          Do you want to know what I really think? The episode was written by Mallozzi, so what more do you expect.
          Agreed.

Originally posted by lemonsandwraithohmy View Post
          Okay, I've got it. Well an explaination for why John's judgement was so crappy and all.

Remember that "fog" that made the lights go out and stuff? The one that messed with the radios?

The "fog", that wasn't really fog, not only messed with techonology, but also did some damage biologocally as well. Maybe some weird brain chemisty changes or something.

I just offer this up as an alternative reason to why the Ep was so....weirdly written. Honestly this was not one of my favorite eps at all. Everyone was under-utlized (Why was Vega killed off? Why? It didn't help to further the plot one bit!) and Rodney was in the ep for like all of thirty seconds and given some terrible one liners.

Agreed again. Carson said he didn't know what the fog would do to them.
          Meh...

Comment

Stuff.
            Lovely speculation.

I'll buy it... if you pay me. The fog didn't seem to be screwing with anyone else's minds (the others were smart enough to point out that they should have a backup plan)... only John's?

Comment

Haha yeah they did say, in the episode, that if the fog messed with tech, that there had to be some side effects. But not one else showed sings of stupidity, besides the villager dude, but I think he was an air head to begin with.

I agree with this thread... I thought the well thing, and a lot of other things as well, were pretty stupid. I would have just set the charge, only brought the bucket thing up a little bit, turned the thing on, then let gravity do the rest (drop the tablet into the bucket, I'm sure it would not break unless it bounced out and fell down the well) then RUN LIKE HELL. Is it just me or did John seem to take his sweet old time? I know he was trying to turn the hand crank thing as quietly as possible, but lets face it, that didn't work out too well. No matter how slowly he turned it, it still made a hell of a lot of noise (or at least in the perspective of a monster thing with super intense hearing abilities).

Ronon Dex Devil
              Sig made by my good friend, Sarah.

Comment

It only screws with male minds. Female minds can resist it.

It also would give a nice explanation for teh fist bump of OOCness. What? Really...

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                  It also would give a nice explanation for teh fist bump of OOCness. What? Really...
                  Not really as all of the creatures were still in stasis back then. And at least there was no mist out.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                    And the plan wasn't even that good. And that stupid he-man order that his subordinates had to stand back no matter what. Did anyone else get a "I'm the man, so I can handle it!"-vibe from him in this episode?
                    Umm, no. No, I didn't. I didn't get that vibe at all. From what I could tell, according to the plan, he told the other team members to stay back so that a) they wouldn't get hurt (obviously), and more importantly, b) so they could get a clear shot at the creatures as they congregated around the well. If they were too close, the creatures would've been distracted into attacking them rather than going to the well.

That was all very obvious to me. No sexism or stupidity involved, to my way of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh View Post
                      Umm, no. No, I didn't. I didn't get that vibe at all. From what I could tell, according to the plan, he told the other team members to stay back so that a) they wouldn't get hurt (obviously), and more importantly, b) so they could get a clear shot at the creatures as they congregated around the well. If they were too close, the creatures would've been distracted into attacking them rather than going to the well.

That was all very obvious to me. No sexism or stupidity involved, to my way of thinking.
                      But that was a stupid plan. Obviously it almost failed. John only survived because Carson happened to come by. What if that creature had attacked before John even had the time to set the charge? Wheee, total failure and everybody loses.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                        But that was a stupid plan. Obviously it almost failed. John only survived because Carson happened to come by. What if that creature had attacked before John even had the time to set the charge? Wheee, total failure and everybody loses.
                        Okay, so you think it was a stupid plan. Understood.

Comment

I didn't say it, being the Fog, was a good reason.
                          I just offered up a reason.

And the others were acting a little weird. Like why did Carson suddenly get all noble and decide to wander around something dangerous. What happened to the Carson that was afraid to go off world? I miss the innocent Carson.

Or Allison, and her magic disappearance for a while? When they had to wander around looking for her?

Really, the whole ep was weird. Just saying though.......still it was a new episode, and pretty soon we won't even have any to comment on. *sniff*
                          Last edited by lemonsandwraithohmy; 08 September 2008, 06:08 PM.

Comment

And the others were acting a little weird. Like why did Carson suddenly get all noble and decide to wander around something dangerous. What happened to the Carson that was afraid to go off world? I miss the innocent Carson.
                            Umm... Carson's always been like that. He's, of course, still scared, but he does it anyway. It's called true courage.

Comment

And the others were acting a little weird. Like why did Carson suddenly get all noble and decide to wander around something dangerous. What happened to the Carson that was afraid to go off world? I miss the innocent Carson?

Or Allison, and her magic disappearance for a while?

Really, the whole ep was weird. Just saying though.......
                              I thought this episode had some holes in it too, but MY main beef was idiotic Dr. Porter. In one scene she's all eager to hide inside behind a locked door, and the next scene she runs out on her own. As I mentioned on another thread, all she needed to do was to fall and sprain her ankle, and she would have totally fulfilled the "stupid female" role in every zombie/horror movie. (Which may have been the point, after all.) But anyway, once Sheppard finds her, she once again becomes Gun-Toting Gussie and is no longer the scared female victim. Anyway, that's my primary beef with this episode. Almost anything else I can put up with for the sake of creative license and suspension of disbelief in a sci-fi show.

Comment

I think the episode was poorly written. Porter and Carson wondering off was weird since they knew what was going on. Sheppard seemed out of character to me. I mean he always comes up with crazy ideas, but other things about him seemed off.

I don't think he thought less of the women or that they couldn't do as much as he could. It might have come off that way, but come on look at how much he thinks of and respects Teyla, and Carter (which he says in Search and Rescue).

The episode was just weird in how it was written.
                                there’s a decent living to be made in the selling out of ideals--Darren Hayes

Comment

Working...
                                X