No announcement yet.

The Female Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hated the episode!!! and i don't say this about Atlantis episodes ever. I might have disliked about 3-4 episodes in the entire show!!!!!
    This one, was the worst.
    As i said in another thread, women ARE the "best and the brightest" that's why men have to protect them. Do the bad jobs, the nasty ones.That was to much and i am a feminist.
    Other than the scientist and the girl that got killed(unfortunatelly) none of them should have gone back to Atlantis imho.
    No logic in the entire episode... Their character's where to stereotyped and their actions and moves where made like they where chips implanted to them...
    Bad episode, bad or badly served idea... They could always bring new girls in the show, they had the time and the chanches. If they wanted to be more feministic.
    Maybe the ladies in here, that said those writters behave like they don't appreciate women at all, are right. C'mon, throw them all at the arena and we'll pick the fittest?
    What is this? Shame that they give people that don't like Atlantis a reason to throw stones at it.
    Spoiler:
    APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
    (YEAR 0 - 100)
    "O thou Sun,
    send me as far over the earth
    as is my pleasure and thine,
    and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
    but never hear anything of bad ones,
    nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

I can't totally agree with all the hating on the all-female team. To me, the fact that it was a 4-woman team was pretty much a non-issue, except for Shep's and Beckett's reactions. The fist-bump they did was funny. And no, I'm quite sure they didn't do it on the hope of 'getting lucky,' but just that their comrades would be interesting and pleasant to work with. Throughout the episode, Sheppard treated the other team the same way he'd treat any SG team, no differently than he would have treated Lorne's team. All in all, I found the fact that the team was all-female was an interesting element which ended up being not relevant to the action of the episode.

The fact that Sheppard didn't know who they were barely crossed my mind. What with the Daedalus and the improved transportation between galaxies, it's possible that military teams get shuffled into and out of Atlantis relatively often. Yeah, it's unrealistic that Sheppard wouldn't be aware of it, but let's just go with it. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

Of the four team members, the one who annoyed me the most was Porter... her behavior was totally inconsistent throughout the episode. I assume she's a science doctor as opposed to a medical doctor, but as far as I could tell, she IS military and not a civilian. Anyway, when the Sergeant (or whoever) told her & Beckett to stay inside & lock the door, she was more than willing to cower inside, even discouraging Beckett from going outside. Then, after Beckett does leave, she stupidly runs off on her own (classic horror-movie mistake, which I guess was the point and why it was purposely included; the only element missing from the cliche is that she didn't fall & hurt her ankle). Sheppard later finds her cowering in the dark, and he & the other soldier lead her back. Then-- suddenly Porter becomes Gun-Toting Gussie and for the rest of the episode she's back in soldier-mode. So first she's a soldier, then she's a damsel-in-distress, and then a soldier again. That was my main complaint about the episode.

I found the major to be relatively bland. Sgt Wells (Dusty) may have been a bit of a cliche, but so is Ronon, and so was Teal'c, if you think about it. At least she HAD a personality. Vega played the part of Early Victim, and Porter was the Simpering Female, so it was up to Wells to be the Tough Girl.

It may have been a bit awkward, but I thought it's nice to see more female military members. Other than Carter, there really haven't been ANY prominent female members of the military... neither Teyla nor Weir are military, and I'm not counting Dr. Keller because she's a medical doctor and not a 'soldier.' (Yes, I know if you're a military doctor, you're still considered 'military,' but she's not a "boots on the ground" soldier. And I'm really not including Dr. Lam from SG-1 because I thought her character was laughable.)

Just my two-cents' worth.

Comment

It did seems strange that the military head of Atlantis wouldn't be aware of the fact that one of the teams under his command was an all female team. I would assume he would know every team under his command.

Comment

How very true....
          Just as the head of science didn't know who Porter was........
          Spoiler:
          APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
          (YEAR 0 - 100)
          "O thou Sun,
          send me as far over the earth
          as is my pleasure and thine,
          and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
          but never hear anything of bad ones,
          nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
            How very true....
            I found this more strange then Shep's reaction...although...maybe they did that to make it seem like Shep's was not all that odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
              How very true....
              Rodney does not know more then half of the people he works with. He said so in an episode dealing with performance evaluations with Weir. The most he can do is point out who annoys him

Comment

the idea was sound. the execution was poor.

just write a team. make up 4 last names, write a team. and let the costume department worry about whether they need a bra or a jock strap.

the gender was only an issue because they made it an issue.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-51D Mustang View Post
                  I liked all of them accept the Sargent she was annoying as hell.
                  She was my favorite of the team! I kept hoping she wasn't going to die. I liked the all female team...they were cool. There's lots of all male teams, why couldn't there be an all female team? I don't even know why they had to "explain" it to the audience at all.

In the back of my mind I kept thinking...SGU? Then again, I thought the same thing about Dixon's team in Heroes. I thought his team was really cool too, but that was the last we saw of them.
                  sigpic
                  FOX Network

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieas View Post
                    It did seems strange that the military head of Atlantis wouldn't be aware of the fact that one of the teams under his command was an all female team. I would assume he would know every team under his command.
                    Good point. Maybe they were a new team. Otherwise, it shouldn't have been a surprise to him. Rodney didn't know who Porter was, so maybe they were new.
                    sigpic
                    FOX Network

Comment

Originally posted by Pepermint Jaffa View Post
                      Rodney didn't know who Porter was, so maybe they were new.
                      Do I have to put on youtube the scene from First Strike

Comment

why don't you settle for posting the transcript and keep the youtube links off here please
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pepermint Jaffa View Post
                          She was my favorite of the team! I kept hoping she wasn't going to die. I liked the all female team...they were cool. There's lots of all male teams, why couldn't there be an all female team? I don't even know why they had to "explain" it to the audience at all.

In the back of my mind I kept thinking...SGU? Then again, I thought the same thing about Dixon's team in Heroes. I thought his team was really cool too, but that was the last we saw of them.
                          For the sake of realism. You may have had womens only elements of the military before, but I'm pretty damn sure they were in the days when women were even more segregated and they didn't enter into combat. Sure you can get female commandos and soldiers these days, but an all female team is frankly ludicrous. It just wouldn't happen. I despise the solution to have an all female team, because it was a STUNT. If we were to take my squadron as an example, if you were to put us all into teams, there would be only one way to have an all female team - make sure no other teams have girls. And what would you BENEFIT from an all female team? Certainly not the crude brude strength often required. But at the same time, there's NO possibility of having a team made up entirely of black people on my squadron, because there's only TWO gentlemen of that ethnic background.

What we're seeing is against all rational odds, and it's painfully obvious the female team was selected because the Major was disgustingly uber feminist. I'd have laughed if all her team died because of her stupid desicion to pick the best women as opposed to the best people.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            why don't you settle for posting the transcript and keep the youtube links off here please
                            (edited a bit)

Rodney - Can I please have someone else do these

Weir - Performance Evaluations

Rodney - Yes

Weir - No year end reviews are important they help people get promotions & raises

Rodney - Asking me to do performance evaluations is ridiculous I am the first person to admit that I don't know who these people are & nor do I care to & if you like I can take you down the halls to the labs & just point at the people who annoy me more then the rest

(John walks in handing Weir papers) & says

John - "All done"

Weir - That was quick. Hey John wait a minute you just gave everyone excellent & above averages

John - Well everybody that works for me is excellent & above average. Do you want me to lie ?

From this scene John or Rodney does not know more then half of the expedition
                            Last edited by JohnRico; 06 September 2008, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Flying_Officer_Bennett said:
                              "Sure you can get female commandos and soldiers these days, but an all female team is frankly ludicrous. It just wouldn't happen. I despise the solution to have an all female team, because it was a STUNT."

To which I say: Whatever. Me, I was just watching an entertaining TV show. :-p

Comment

Originally posted by JohnRico View Post
                                (edited a bit)
                                From this scene John or Rodney does not know more then half of the expedition
                                Hmmm, I took that as John having his personnel on a pedestal.

Comment

Working...
                                X