This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the female team is TPTB's response to people asking for female characters to get more attention. "They want female characters? We'll give 'em a whole team of girls!"
    The all female team was JM's idea in regards to the gender imbalance on the show. So, yeah...I suppose it was.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    They wanted to restore gender balance... They failed.
    They never tried to RESTORE the gender balance and that was never JM's intent from what I've seen. It was his response to the show have more male actors than female. Maybe even so influence by use lemming complaining about the lack of quality female characters.

To which his reply was blatantly obvious to me. He beefed up Vega on how great she was and killed her in a heart beat. Doesn't that speak volumes to all you? It told us what he thought of our complaints in very visual way. It's the equivalent to getting the finger thrown at ya.

He built it up to get ya all looking at this character, expecting great things only to yank her out like a rag doll. If that's not a virtual finger then I'm not sure what is.

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
    Lets see if we hear about this 'all-female team' again, shall we?
    He'll rev it up and then either they will get little time or another will bite the big one.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    The military has a natural gender imbalance, I don't see what the issue is.
    The military does have an inherent gender imbalance. But JM wasn't concerned about addressing that imbalance.

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
    Deleted scene from Whispers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgnlZs3uB2Q
    Green on that one. OMG...now there is a gender imbalance if I ever saw one.

Originally posted by Lorr View Post
    That's the problem when all the writers and directors are male. They just aren't in touch with their feminine side.
    Hmm, I'm a little afraid to see their famine side. *shivers*
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Does it work like that?...
      it did for Alien

...and is it bad that I was far more interested in this team than our usual SGA powah team? *scratches head*

Comment

the thing is....what if they'd have jsut written tildy's team as a team. Jsut let it be 4 soldiers. That's easier for themto do than for them to try and understand women. they been working on it for years and still can't write women, i think it'd be easier to just write genderless than for htem to try and learn how women think and act
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          the thing is....what if they'd have jsut written tildy's team as a team. Jsut let it be 4 soldiers. That's easier for themto do than for them to try and understand women. they been working on it for years and still can't write women, i think it'd be easier to just write genderless than for htem to try and learn how women think and act
          Did Stargate ever have any Female writers? Wait, I think they had one back in the early SG-1 days.
          sigpic

Comment

Did Stargate ever have any Female writers? Wait, I think they had one back in the early SG-1 days.
            the one writer they should have kept.
            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

heather Ash, and i think there was one later on, but by and large, it's been a boys club

and it's not that they're boys, it's HOW they write. It's anime and comic books. it's cliches.

cooper, for example, can write some danged good stuff. CAN being the operative word

whispers just tried too hard to be spooky.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

SG-1
                Katharyn Michaelian Powers, Misha Rashovich, Heather E Ash, Jaqueline Samuda

Atlantis
                Jill Blotevogel, Treena Hancock, Melissa R Byer
                sigpic
                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

heather Ash, and i think there was one later on, but by and large, it's been a boys club

and it's not that they're boys, it's HOW they write. It's anime and comic books. it's cliches.

cooper, for example, can write some danged good stuff. CAN being the operative word

whispers just tried too hard to be spooky.
                  I just read someplace. Katharyn Powers was the other writer. Here is her IMDB. Sadly her first ep "Emancipation" was not a fan favorite, or GW favorite for that matter.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0584251/filmoseries#tt0118480
                  sigpic

Comment

I just read someplace. Katharyn Powers was the other writer. Here is her IMDB. Sadly her first ep "Emancipation" was not a fan favorite, or GW favorite for that matter.

Ugh, I hated that episode (and was actually looking it up to see who wrote it).

Comment

Ouch, that was baaaad...
                      It was after that, that Amanda asked if she could be a girl from then on, and they let her be.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hey, everyone ...

Here is another way to let MGM and SciFI know your sadness about SGA being cancelled.

Go this web site and either agree with a comment already posted or write your own.

Here is mine

Stargate Atlantis needs a sixth season
                        Stargate Atlantis is a great show, with action, adventure, which has the most diverse and remarkable episodes on SciFi Network today. Where else can you see something from the horror genre one week and the next be on an enemy’s space ship, infiltrating the ranks as a Wraith Queen! This show is top notch, entertainment. It is interesting, funny and scary at times and always delivers an awesome story.
                        If you’d like to see a sixth season, please post your own comment and agreement with everyone else who has posted too and let the network know you support SGA.

http://www.heynielsen.com/opinion/vi...-sixth-season/

You can also, look at other comments and post your agreement here:

http://www.heynielsen.com/view/stargate-atlantis/

The Gateworld community could make it big enough that Neilsen would surely pass on our thoughts to MGM and SciFi.

Good luck in helping to save SGA and Cheers!

Pat
                        Patricia Lee

Comment

If you mean strongly written then things change.

I think all the main characters suffer, with the possible exception of Beckett, Keller and Weir. The rest have massive problems with being written, I see your McKay comments, but I think that hampers him because now (except for the shrine) it's just same old McKay over and over again.

Gender, imo, has jack all to do with it.
                          That was what I meant... strong writing.

the point of the ramble???? Almost everytime tptb say they are acknowledging something or settling something, it seems that their definition of 'settle' doesn't QUITE equal the random fan's definition of hte word
                          No kidding.

these guys need to stop focusing on 'i'm writing a male, i'm writing a female' and just write a character. Don't get bogged with gender, just write a person
                          Word.

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                          He built it up to get ya all looking at this character, expecting great things only to yank her out like a rag doll. If that's not a virtual finger then I'm not sure what is.
                          Mmm, if you put it that way...
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Personally i don't se the problem here ..... maybe im just on another planet though!

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked the episode. By far, the creepiest I've ever seen of SGA (as well as SG-1). The fog, the dark, the zombies, yeah, maybe cliched, but I loved it. I was sure they were going to make us go through losing Beckett again, and I had my face covered for what seems like most of the epi, so I was glad when Beckett was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at the end!

Comment

Well after Sheppard didn't seem to know the "team" was all female... well that just showed me this is one stinker of an ep, how could he NOT know? Or does he really leave all the paper work to Lorne as I suspect?

I didn't bother watching the rest. Carson being in this was also a major turn off... the dead should stay dead unless they are omnisexual time agents.

Comment

Working...
                                X