Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still surprised they went to all the trouble of introducing Vega only to kill her off like a red shirt.

Comment

*yawn*

Man, that episode was boring and pointless with a good dose of stupidity tossed in. In my opinion of course. Maybe it was supposed to be so bad to the point that it was laughable. *shrug* Perfect fodder for MST3K as it would then be way more enjoyable to watch if they could get their hands on it.

Scary? lol! Not in the slightest...and I don't even generally watch or like horror movies so I haven't been desensitized to it. It was too predictable to be scary.

I will give the episode props for killing Vega. I wasn't expecting that. The villager, sure. He was a walking dead man cliche.

Though I do have to say that the all girl team inclusion wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It could have been far worse. The Shep/Carson fist bump or whatever was par for the course. This particular episode would not have been complete without it. I was totally expecting something like that.

Ugh. I also hate what they've done with PM's hair! (or what he's done with it) Maybe because the episode was so boring, I found it way more noticeable since I really had nothing else to focus on in this episode to distract me from its awfulness. I think Paul was kind of a waste in this episode. I hope his last three appearances are of better story quality.

Easily the worst episode of the season for me and pretty much a waste. Granted I have issues with other episodes this season that are way more problematic, but at least those eps have some aspects that I can enjoy/appreciate. It didn't even have any substantial character moments I could enjoy. The Carson/Rodney bit at the start of the episode was about as close as it got. This one was just flat out boring. Running around in circles in a foggy old village. Woohoo!

Originally posted by Kliggins
      I didn't really watch the episode, I was planning to and I guess something distracted me, but it did make nice background noise as I was doing something else.
      lol. You didn't miss anything as there was nothing to actually see...with all the "scary" fog and all....
      Last edited by LoneStar1836; 06 September 2008, 04:15 PM. Reason: sp
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieas View Post
        I'm still surprised they went to all the trouble of introducing Vega only to kill her off like a red shirt.

What trouble? No different than any character who's basically supporting. Here today, gone tomorrow. Unless you mean JM's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
          I seriously hope they don't bring her back for SGU.
          Hopefully not.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            I can only fathom that the writers were channeling themselves into the characters, as we've never seen sheppard nor Beckett exhibit that kind of behavior before. And hey, those are subordinates to Sheppard, so, fraternization, nope.
            Yeah that too....He's their commanding officer so i dunno why he was getting so excited

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
            I don´t know, it was weird. The idea with a female team wasn´t bad, but they made one big mistake (imo). Sheppard. I would love to see an entirely new team, and with women, by themselves. Without a presence of any from the other cast. But like this, Sheppard was the one who eventually saved them all (again) and the pathetic introduction - seriously, shouldn´t the main military commander know all teams? And is it just me or this was like "Kirk Sheppard introduced to a new harem he can choose from".

Behaviour of all characters during the episode was as in a B-horror movie. I don´t know if it was the intention or not, but behave in style "look, there is dark, foggy, oh, and there is some cute, dark creature - let´s go look" is horrible and for people who should be the best and the brightest is it stupid.

I wasn´t impressed by Vega at all. I don´t understand why did they make such introductions about her before S5, when she was killed. So we were worried for her? I don´t think it worked.
            Who I liked most was the sergeant. Sure, a walking cliché but with the lowest rank the only one who knew what is doing.

Carson - he should have stayed dead. Always when I see him now, something doesn´t seem right about it. I know that he isn´t exactly "our" Carson and that´s what bothers me. And, of course, I wasn´t concered that Sheppard or Carson will be killed. I was worried only for that sergeant and she survived. Can we get into the team her instead of Teyla, please?

Anyway, the atmosphere was good, so was the idea of the horror episode. I think if there were just those four women, without Beckett and Sheppard, it would be much better.
            And the characters could have been much better written without stupid lines like "What´s going on?" and "I saw/heard (thought that I saw/heard) something"

And, Nicole de Boer was there

So, I really don´t know where to put this. An average episode which I don´t think I will watch again.
            She might as weel replace Teyla...Seeing as Teyla's practically invisible now Oh no wait...She can't..I think they're angling for Keller to replace her on the team

I wish they would write Teyla out of it,then i can stop watching this drivel!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fuchsia View Post
              Nah, not my cup of tea this epi....

What was the 'high-five' kind of thing that Carson and John did after meeting the girls in the wood?
              It looked like they were congratulating each other that the team was all female!!!
              If that was the case, it was a bit of a cringe-worthy moment for me....
              That was pretty bad. I think TPTB forgot who they were writing for. That felt more like something McKay would do. Add in the odd compaints from Sheppard and Beckett about having to walk and I was having flashbacks to Trio *shudder*

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
              anyway I'd also like to say how much I loved Shep in this ep. there's a female team, Carson, one the villagers, Michael's creatures and Shep's in command. awesome! especially this conversation: You take up positions, you sit tight and wait for the signal. You don't move, you don't make a noise until the well blows. I think I've made myself clear Sarge. hehe Shep's in charge
              That was a highlight for me. It's been too long since we've had a chance to see him actually leading a team in a military situation. I loved it.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              All in all, it seemed obvious that the casting was done to accomodate keller and rodney taping the shrine, teyla doing the queen...ronon....i dunno, maybe his wig was in the shop.

this reminded me of SG1 eps, when they constantly split up the team so they could tape 2-3 episodes at once, sometimes it was done well, sometimes clumsily. this was just a cheaper bottle episode, done on a standing set, probably to offset the effects in The Queen
              I don't know why it seems so obvious these past few seasons. I thought RL's absences last season were due to her pregnancy, but it's continuing this season too. I don't remember the cast being so split up in the early seasons. They managed to find a way to get a good mix of most characters in a large number of episodes. Even if Ronon and Teyla often got shortchanged on lines, the whole team was there most of the time. I'd much rather see that than an episode that's 80% Rodney, followed by an episode that's 75% Teyla, etc.

Originally posted by amconway View Post
              LOL!!
              Shep and Beckett's reactions to the all female team. OMG! Again with the total lack of subtlety!! Wht, did they think they were going to get lucky? Give me a break! They are supposedly both grown men and professionals. And this is the military. That was just... bad. There are a lot of women on Atlantis. Why did this have to be treated as an oddity at all? It would have been much more charming if it was just treated as normal.

At the same time, the episode was fun hand had some great stuff in between the stuff that wasn't so great. It was very creepy and there was lots of tension. So it gets a 'good', but not a 'great'.
              Good point. I wish TPTB would remember that subtlety is their friend. I don't need someone hitting me over the head.

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
              I don´t know, it was weird. The idea with a female team wasn´t bad, but they made one big mistake (imo). Sheppard. I would love to see an entirely new team, and with women, by themselves. Without a presence of any from the other cast. But like this, Sheppard was the one who eventually saved them all (again) and the pathetic introduction - seriously, shouldn´t the main military commander know all teams? And is it just me or this was like "Kirk Sheppard introduced to a new harem he can choose from".
              All new characters without any of the main cast wouldn't be much of a draw for me. And again with the Kirk nonsense? When was the last tiime Sheppard pursued a relationship? On the other hand, we have Carson flirting with Porter; Rodney eyeing Carter, nearly proposing to Katie and falling in love with Keller; Keller making eyes at both Ronon and Rodney. Who's Kirking again?

Carson - he should have stayed dead. Always when I see him now, something doesn´t seem right about it. I know that he isn´t exactly "our" Carson and that´s what bothers me. And, of course, I wasn´t concered that Sheppard or Carson will be killed. I was worried only for that sergeant and she survived. Can we get into the team her instead of Teyla, please?
              I don't think Carson's the same because they don't let him interact with any of his friends anymore. He's shipped in for a specific purpose and quickly shuffled off again. Part of what made Carson a great character was his relationship with everyone else in the city.

Please no gung-ho Sgt. on the team. I don't think Sheppard's team could handle anymore loud personalities. I know I would find it unbearable. Of course TPTB could do the typical thing and wallpaper the Sgt and Ronon. Then we'd never notice the difference.

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
              It's because his ROLE was CMO. They can't really use him properly now. They really should just add him to another team, rather than having him return to Earth. And it's almost as if they don't want him competing with Keller.
              That's probably a large part of it. Beckett doesn't have to have a large part to overshadow Keller. He does it naturally by walking into a scene.
              I really wish they had brought Beckett back full time and kicked Keller back to five episodes instead.

Comment

One of the things I really liked about this episode, as has been mentioned already, is the fact that we get to see some actual military action. That's one thing that's been missing from Stargate for a very long time.

The female team, I'm sorry to say, didn't do a thing for me. The only character I really felt I connected with at all was Nicole de Boer's character...but that may be partly because she's a really good actress. Watching her in this episode made me really wish we had had one more season of her as Ezri Dax in DS9 (I know we have Ezri in the DS9 post-series novels, but its not the same). Vega said that she picked the best and brightest...I'm sorry, but aside from de Boer's character, throughout the entire episode I kept on asking myself "wait, these girls were the best she could possibly find?"

The fog looked like crap...I had to cringe every time it showed up, especially every time something was walking through it because it looked like an old video game. The entire feel of the episode reminded me very much of Resident Evil...and I'm talking more about the original game than about the crappy movies. It was nice seeing Beckett again, but I really wish they would have more character moments with him and the main team. I hope Paul signs on to do at least one of the Atlantis movies.

The problem, though, is that the horror genre as a whole is incredibly cliched and predictable, and this episode is no different. I felt absolutely no suspense whatsoever, never felt that there was a possibility that our characters would not survive. The pacing was very off in this episode as well...It took at least twenty-twenty-five minutes before anything even started to happen.

One thing I really liked seeing was Shephard in command...we haven't seen this sort of military action on SG in quite some time.

Overall, I rate it a 6/10. Its definitely watchable, but its probably not one I plan on watching again until the DVD comes out. I look at it this way: we've had four excellent episodes in a row - Broken Ties, Deadalus Variations, Ghost in the Machine and The Shrine...I guess sooner or later an episode would come along that would break that trend.
                That is just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieas View Post
                  That's what bugged me the most about this episode. She was the only female team member that didn't annoy me in this episode, and maybe the best looking too. Dusty was pretty, but she was the most annoying one of them all. I was looking forward to Vega being in more episodes, but then she being the only one killed off. That kind of bugged me.

Too much flirting. Too much bad writing. I like the idea of a creepy episode, but this just didn't work that well for me.

Comment

the best creepy is sublte....take Dexter for example. he' s not OTT creepy, he's quietly creepy

the thing is, these writers couldn't do subtle if their lives depended on it
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Haven't seen this episode yet cos we don't get Skiffy here in the middle of nowehere. But as always I jump in on the episode early.

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                      And it's almost as if they don't want him competing with Keller.
                      Because she looks really bad next to him

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                      Perfect fodder for MST3K as it would then be way more enjoyable to watch if they could get their hands on it.
                      Don't worry, that's what my recaps are for.

Ugh. I also hate what they've done with PM's hair! (or what he's done with it)
                      It was them that did it. To make him look younger or ... something. :s

I think Paul was kind of a waste in this episode. I hope his last three appearances are of better story quality.
                      Someone reassured me that his episodes would be good because some of Daniel's best episodes were his recurring ones ... not true these days, is it? Well, both TS and Whispers were written by Mallozzi, so ... what have we expected?

Comment

well finaly a good episode
                        didnt like that captain vega was the first and the last to go but
                        well as the spoilers sed that it will be scary episode then i realy didnt understand what can possible be scary in this episode the music was not even scary but it had that flavor in it but still not

was fun to watch at least more something in it what makes u want to see more
                        sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

The Gas mask remind anyone of Doctor Who? (Are you my mummy? =P)

It just seemed like a crapper rip-off of their other episode one with the Alien-like wraith/hybrid/michael experiment.

I thought the female team was good. Beckett was SOO in there =P - Like to see more of them ladies! Sign 'em up for SGU!!!! Bet you that'll gain attention of more viewers!

Comment

Originally posted by wizz_kid_sid View Post

It just seemed like a crapper rip-off of their other episode one with the Alien-like wraith/hybrid/michael experiment.

I thought the female team was good. Beckett was SOO in there =P - Like to see more of them ladies! Sign 'em up for SGU!!!! Bet you that'll gain attention of more viewers!
                            Yes...I was expecting the kid to come up and say "are you my mummy."
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wizz_kid_sid View Post

It won't gain the attention of more viewers, check out the Female Team Thread.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I was pretty underwhelmed. I can't really put my finger on exactly why. There was nothing really terrible about it. The acting was good and I liked the affects. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

There's also the fact that it's following The Shrine which I absolutely adored to pieces so that might color my vision a bit. I realize that they're two entirely different types of episodes but that doesn't change the fact The Shrine kind of raised my expectations. Plus there's the fact that I'm not really fond of the episodes that only include one or two team members. I realize that they happen from time to time but they're never my favorites so that's also a contributing factor.

It was great to see Beckett again though so that's a big plus. I did enjoy the interaction between him and Porter though, it was cute. Puppy love. The best part of the episode for me was Dusty mocking them.

I know Joe Mallozzi sounded like he and the others were all amped about this one so maybe that made me go in expecting more too.

So all in all, I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. It was just sort of eh.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                                X