• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earthgate Ricky View Post
    I love David Hewlett's performing!!!!

He's brilliant!

I want to nominate him for Emmy award!

Ditto. I was very touched by his performance. And while I didn't cry, I did have tears in my eyes. And I might not have reacted that way but for the fact that my mother had Alzheimer's and I know what it's like to watch somebody deteriorate like that right in front of your eyes. He just did it more quickly that my Mom did.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher View Post
      Indeed, it's what people often don't say but convey that makes all the difference. Give me a hand though - when McKay and Sheppard are sitting on the edge of the pier, and McKay calls him Arthur - I missed that reference. pls 2 explane?
      There's a movie from some years back called "Arthur", starring Dudley Moore as a wealthy man who slowly mentally deteriorates similar to how McKay did in this episode. It's funny and sad and heartbreaking, just like McKay's decline.

Comment

I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

And pretty much everyone made me do that when I watched it. Obviously the brilliantx1000000 performance of David Hewlett, along with those of Joe F and Kate Hewlett when they interacted with him; there was also Jason and Ronon's absolute devotion towards saving Mckay, and I even teared up during Woolsey's story about his father. Just...brilliant episode.

David-Hewlett-for-an-Emmy campaign? Yes/Yes?

Comment

It made me cry to! It was so nice, I love the part between Sheppard and Mckay on the peer.

Comment

I almost did. Had tears in my eyes but held 'em back. What I really loved about Joe in this was that little smile after the flashback. It's moments like that that I can really buy into their odd friendship. That whole scene with the beer and the peer. Just classic. I am truely amazed and it gives me hope that they will make good movies. Atlantis is still my favorite of the shows.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Re the Arthur reference, someone elsewhere said that the character Arthur, from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which they have referenced before ("42" in Doppelganger), meets aliens while wearing his pajamas. So this could also be where it comes from.
              sigpic

Comment

a very powerful ep one of the best ever in SGA or SG1 i was close to tearing up but i held them back
                Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                sigpic

Comment

For those who know, watching some one deteriorate mentally can be a very hard thing to deal with. I personally have a grandmother who has alzheimer's and she's been getting worse for some time now, she recognizes me, but can't but a face with a name. I also helped take care of someone in their last months, due to an inoperable brain tumor. I had to watch every day how he got worse, and worse. He passed away about 3 months ago.

I said that to say this. I knew what the episode was about. I thought I was ready for it. Boy was I wrong. David is such a great actor, his own stress over losing his memory, the scary stuff, the time when he banged on johns door, his moments with his sister, the video progression, I've seen that all too clearly. I made myself watch the rest of the episode, I decided that to turn the channel would be to ignore my own experiences with others. I think it was an amazing episode, didn't like keller, sorry. I already wrote about this ep somewhere in here, but it was just surface stuff.

I wish stargate would tackle more issues this strongly. I will buy the season when it comes out on DVD, but I can't say when or if I'll watch the episode again.

I haven't seen a performance that good in TV or Movie in a very long time. Maybe he'll get an award for this, maybe not, I just hope he decides to view this thread, and realize how great a job he did!

Comment

I almost cried too. Quite sad indeed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
                    MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

The line "You're a good friend, Arthur" really looked a lot like an ad-lib to me. Just the very spontaneous reponse of the actors looked too real to be scripted! Loved it!!!! ;-)
                      HappyCamper

Comment

Really loved the episode, and indeed it was very moving. I've lost my grandma to alzheimer and it was very familiair to see it on screen again. I've watched the episode 3 times now and still hit's like a rock.
                        sigpic
                        by Snowflake Shona

Comment

I never re-watch TV shows or movies until I've forgotten what happens in them to some extent.

I watched The Shrine twice within 24 hours.

It is quite simply the best piece of science fiction drama I've seen since the end of Star Trek: TNG. I am very hard to move, emotionally, when it comes to television but this episode just got me in a soft spot. Hewlett should win something for his performance here.

Comment

A very, very moving episode. I started crying basically within minutes the episode has started. Whe Rodney desperately shouted for John I was in tears. This is the first time that I have ever truly cried in SGA. Even the death of Carson didn't make me cry. It made me seriously pissed off but not sad. David Hewlett gave a powerful performance and deserves all praise for it. It is so bitter that such an outstanding episode was aired in the same week that they announced to cancel SGA. As if the show wants to show SciFi that they mean business and won't go quietly.
                            He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                            He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                            And he's wonderful.

Comment

The episode really moved me, not to tears but... It made me feel incredibly sorry for the entire team. The scene where Jeannie leaves the room to break down, especially powerful. And the acting from McKay... Wow.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

This ep did really hit close to home with me cause my grandma had Alzheimers too and past away in 2004 and I am still having trouble dealing with her death today for many reasons. This ep made me cry during different parts, even more so at then end. I was only 13 years old when my Grandma died. Oh, and the cast all did a very great job doing this ep.

Comment

Working...
                                X