Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say, it was a great episode, considering in sci fi you get episodes about people becoming younger, mutating or swapping bodies and I felt the concept of Rodney's illness was more unique that most (altho I know memory loss is still a fairly common plot to have).

I think there's little to say about the stories execution I didn't like, althought the last scene with Dr Keller felt a little obviously (when she's watching it earlier on), a little out of place and not exactly the kind of direction I want to see things go.

The peir scene, absolutely brilliant...

anyways...

One question: What was the "Arthur" comment referring to?
    McKay was just making fun of the fact his own mind is forgetting peoples names and soon to be his own.

Plus to anyone who says this episode is rubbish I think you've got to look at your expectations, yes 'The Shrine' is a filler epsiode, but you need them to keep the budget down and give the series time to evolve characters... other fillers have only been bad because they don't try to do this enough.

If all you want is action and special effects you should just stick to watching the season openings and finals, if not then enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
      McKay is losing his mind. And he made a joke out of it. That's why they both laughed after Shep's aghast pause. Best part of the ep, and this from someone who thinks both characters are overused.

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I have no idea. All I can think of is the movie, but I haven't watched it in so many years, well it could just be a name plucked from the ether or it might be an inside joke... so in short, no idea.

I take it you knew he was forgetting names right?

Comment

My favorite episode for a LONG time...if they had been writing like this for the last year, they might not be facing cancellation, alas...

Comment

Thanks guys. I thoughed I missed a reference.

Edit:
            Oh, and I did: Its a reference to the Hitchhikers Guide!

Ha!
            The cake is a lie!

Comment

Thanks guys. I thoughed I missed a reference.

Edit:
              Oh, and I did: Its a reference to the Hitchhikers Guide!

Ha!
              Is it? Well I guess that makes sense, they are both geeks deep down and in their pajamas! Oh Douglas Adams lives on and on. Yeah lets say it is from HHGttG.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                To "you" maybe. BTW, good call on saying SGU will not be picked up by the network.
                Oh well, right on Atlantis' fate, wrong on Stargate Universe. I'll modify and say Universe 1 season only.
                As far as Shrine goes, I just have to guess i am right and everyone is wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                  Is it? Well I guess that makes sense, they are both geeks deep down and in their pajamas! Oh Douglas Adams lives on and on. Yeah lets say it is from HHGttG.
                  It mustn't, but I love the idea.

The pier scene was so wounderful.
                  The cake is a lie!

Comment

I really liked the episode!
                    It was great to see that completely different side of Rodney. Hewlett has definitely got that range of talent.

Comment

I lost interest in this one in the first few minutes, and it kept going downhill from there. I grew tired of McKay in anything more than small doses several seasons ago. All McKay, all the time, just doesn't cut it for me. It felt like an excuse for DH to be self-indulgent as an actor. Look, I'm ACTING...see how the others react to my ACTING...aren't you moved by my ACTING? I ended up fast forwarding through most of it.

I hated the video diary -- would have much preferred to see some interaction with the rest of the cast.

Too much time spent on how McKay's illness hit Jeannie and Keller --- a character who puts in an annual appearance and McKay's love-interest-in-the-making.

Poor Ronon (plot devise) and Teyla (background again).

I would have much preferred to see the team on the flooded planet. What an intriguing idea. Stuck on the gate until the waters recede. A missing scientific team. The team all together. That's what I watch for.
                      Last edited by Cautious Explorer; 23 August 2008, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Actually, upon reflection this morning this ep kinda ticked me off. Or it could have been the pager going off at 4 in the damn morning. Meh.

Don't get me wrong - I really liked the ep outside of the basic plot redux and the laughably subtle and believable video confession and all the ethical concerns that came with it. Great character moments, blahblahblah. But it illustrated that TPTB can put together a good character-based ep when they want to, which always makes me wonder why they didn't do it more often over these past 4 years. Eps like this illustrate what I see as squandered opportunity and make cruddy eps like the Irr duo, Travelers, Harmony, Seed, etc etc stink even more.

Comment

I've got some screenshots for the epi

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                            I lost interest in this one in the first few minutes, and it kept going downhill from there. I grew tired of McKay in anything more than small doses several seasons ago. All McKay, all the time, just doesn't cut it for me. It felt like an excuse for DH to be self-endulgent as an actor. Look, I'm ACTING...see how the others react to my ACTING...aren't you moved by my ACTING? I ended up fast forwarding through most of it.

I hated the video diary -- would have much preferred to see some interaction with the rest of the cast.

Too much time spent on how McKay's illness hit Jeannie and Keller --- a character who puts in an annual appearance and McKay's love-interest-in-the-making.

Poor Ronon (plot devise) and Teyla (background again).

I would have much preferred to see the team on the flooded planet. What an intriguing idea. Stuck on the gate until the waters recede. A missing scientific team. The team all together. That's what I watch for.
                            Me too, and do we know what happened to the poor expedition team.. I guess they all drowned but who cares.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
                              Oh well, right on Atlantis' fate, wrong on Stargate Universe. I'll modify and say Universe 1 season only.
                              As far as Shrine goes, I just have to guess i am right and everyone is wrong
                              Well either way, I would be happy. If SGU goes for more than one season then I'll have my stargate fix, if it fails and lasts only one season, I can scream "I told you so" to MGM, SCI FI, and Stargate Productions that cancelling SGA to make room for SGU was a gutsy move. I think I am going to like SGU, but I am still pissed about SGA. In time I'll calm down but will still feel a little upset at MGM and etc.
                              sigpic

Comment

I thought this was excellent episode, it had me captivated from the first moment and it went sooo quick which is always a good sign.

I absolutely adored the scene with Shep and McKay in their PJ's, easily my favourite scene.

I always enjoy Jeanie and this ep was no different. Teyla was wearing her gorgeous green coat again, I want that coat!

I didn't hate the McKeller stuff in the ep but the last line... waaayyy too soon

On a shallow note, Wet!Shep, PJ!Shep and Fleece!Shep... *sigh*
                                What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Working...
                                X