Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where the heck did the "F-302s" come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the heck did the "F-302s" come from?

Yeah, where did they come from? Atlantis doesn't have 302s (is it even possible?), and there were no 304s around except for the transdimensional Daedalus. A fleet of jumpers firing drones (a la Adrift) would have made more sense, imo.

Discuss.
    sigpic

We don't know much of anything about the reality they were in, other than the fact there was an Atlantis, their Daedalus was destroyed 2 years ago, and they have a Sheppard. They could have had some other sort of carrier ship around, their 302s might have been able to launch from Atlantis and get to them, or any number of other reasons.

The neat thing about playing with alternate realities like this is that it's easy to come up with any sort of explanation for differences.

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
      Yeah, where did they come from? Atlantis doesn't have 302s (is it even possible?), and there were no 304s around except for the transdimensional Daedalus. A fleet of jumpers firing drones (a la Adrift) would have made more sense, imo.

Discuss.
      Atlantis is a massive city. Maybe in their alternate universe, after their Daedalus was destroyed, they saw fit to install a hanger bay in the city. God know there's plenty of spaces where they can create a runway, the piers would be a good choice.
      These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Actually, in one of the Season 3 episodes someone mentioned that F-302s could be fitted into the Jumper Bays. Dunno how they'd get in or out, but it was plausible. Maybe in that alternate reality they solved the problems? As for the Jumpers, those could have been destroyed in previous battles. The new aliens looked to be more powerful then the Wraith, so its feasible the Jumper fleet was destroyed.

Spoiler:

Woolsey: That sounded like another explosion.
        O’neill: Yes. Yes, it did.
        Woolsey: What does that mean?
        O’neill: Something exploded.
        Thank god for common sense.

Proud supporter of Stargate: Avalon
        and Stargate: Horizon
        As well as s09119's Continuing SG-1

Supported Ships: Sheppard/Weir ~ Ronon/Keller ~ O'neill/Carter
        Pro - All Seasons of Atlantis (Etchy on Season 4 though) and Pro - All Seasons of SG-1 plus the Stargate Movies
        The Jury is still out on Destiny though...

Comment

It's another reality. There's no way to be certain what happens in it. For all we now in that reality the F-302's could have hyperspace drives or "instant-beam-drive" thingies that allow them to pop up out of nowhere.
          Steve, Bob and Todd. What chummy guys!

Comment

From Grace Under Pressure:

ATLANTIS. JUMPER BAY. Someone is doing some welding at the side of the bay as Elizabeth walks in, picking her way past the spray of sparks.
            SHEPPARD (offscreen): Take it over here; move it over here.
            (Elizabeth walks to the rear of the Jumper and calls in to John who is standing near the cockpit supervising someone.)
            WEIR: What’s all this?
            SHEPPARD: Ah, this is my plan!
            WEIR: Yeah, I figured that much! (She looks around at the hive of activity around the Bay. John comes to the rear of the Jumper to join her.) You care to elaborate?
            SHEPPARD: Well, Doctors Moore and McNab are here to study the ocean on M8R-1229, which happens to be under a thick sheet of ice, so they brought a thousand-foot cable and a pretty powerful winch to lower their instruments.
            WEIR: OK.
            SHEPPARD (gesturing to a nearby scientist): And Edgar over here is responsible for the magnetic grapple designed to lower the F-302s into our Jumper Bay.
            WEIR: And you intend to put the two together.
            SHEPPARD: Like chocolate and peanut butter.

Comment

I think it's unlikely the 302s came from Atlantis. They operate like regular fighter jets... If anything, they COULD have come from somewhere on the continent. Then again, that would have been the alien ship's first target, imo. Sorry, but I don't buy this magnetic grapple story. How would the F-302s take-off (and land) from a jumper bay? Does not compute.
              sigpic

Comment

I'd say the Jumper Bay is just for storage. If they need to launch them they'll just use that grapple to haul them out again.

It's all moot anyway, as this is an alternate reality where anything could've happened that'd result in the appearance of 302s nearby Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  I'd say the Jumper Bay is just for storage. If they need to launch them they'll just use that grapple to haul them out again.

It's all moot anyway, as this is an alternate reality where anything could've happened that'd result in the appearance of 302s nearby Atlantis.
                  Wrong. Since the writers didn't explain how the F-302s conveniently showed up to save Sheppard's team on board the Daedalus, it's the purpose of this thread to explore the possibilities.
                  sigpic

Comment

Or the ones in the Jumper Bay might exist for the sole purpose of being close to the gate should they ever need to transfer them offworld. This way all they have to do it is lower one into the gateroom and dismantle it for transport through the Stargate. Meanwhile others could be docked on a pier, ready to defend Atlantis, for all we know.

Of course, as others have pointed out, speculating about what our Atlantis does serves no purpose. On the other hand speculating about that Atlantis, does and since it wasn't returning fire it's possible that it had been out of drones for awhile or had a very limited supply. In which case, jumpers might've been useless for defending the city (or the bulk of their jumpers might've been destroyed) so they might've stationed 302s on Atlantis' piers to make up for it while the regular Atlantis is fine just using their healthy number of jumpers for defense. Besides that, there are a whole host of reasons why they might have 302s, including there being a damaged 304 hiding under the shields or because someone just felt like stationing them there.
                    Last edited by Xaeden; 02 August 2008, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Thy could of built an/ several runways on the main land. And as for them being primary target I think Atlantis would still be target number one.... destroy Atlantis you cut the airbases off from the gate which means no contact with Earth or any off world bases.
                      A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric
                        Atlantis has f-302s in their jumper bay. This was said in 'Grace Underpressure'. The grapple they were gonna use to pull the sunken jumper to the surface was the same one used 2 lower 302s into the jumper bay. But the sunken jumper was too heavy to lift flooded and they went with the forcefield idea instead. Atlantis has a contingent of f-302s permantly assigned on base.
                        yes but launching them is the problem.... they need a runway in a planetary enviroment
                        A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Got another question.

I realize this might be completely a CGI a mistake (maybe not a mistake at all) but, since the Daedalus was getting away from the sun starting from Atlantis' orbit, assuming the F-302 took off from 'New Lantea', shouldn't the 302s have come from the other side?

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                            Wrong. Since the writers didn't explain how the F-302s conveniently showed up to save Sheppard's team on board the Daedalus, it's the purpose of this thread to explore the possibilities.
                            Ah, I see. Sorry, for some reason I thought this thread was here for critisizing an apparent plothole of where the 302s came from. Nevermind that.

I'm not being sarcastic.

Comment

I can't remember when I saw it, but I'm fairly certain that 302s don't need as long of a runway that normal fighters today need.

Comment

Working...
                              X