No announcement yet.

If the ship stayed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we'd have it, the USS Sobol would be a nice name (Colonol Sobol was the commander of the alt! Daedalus)

Comment

I was hoping they would keep it, and that it would become the Phoenix (after all when Carter got it most of the systems were offline, it could be that in the alternate timeline it ran out of power as it arrived in our universe, hence future mckay not warning shepherd of the drive)

But unfortunately the ship is gone now

However, as has been said before, it would be destroyed a couple of episodes later

Comment

if they could have kept it you could have 2 ships going back and forth to earth with supplies thus cutting time between visits to 1 1/2 weeks = more supplies and coffee for mckay

Comment

Originally posted by cyberash View Post
          Out of curiosity, if the alternate Daedalus (after McKay having fiddled around with it) ran out of energy when it re-emerged in 'our' universe, and it didn't have the hull breach, what do you believe would have happened to it?

I think they'd have taken that 'drive' out for starters. McKay and probably a few others would have fought to 'correct' it, whereas others would have no doubt said they'd somehow destroy it.

Drive aside though, what would happen to the ship? Decommission her and use her for spare parts, or recommission her under a new name? Would have been quite neat I think, if the ship stayed in our universe, and the team took advantage of her, fixed her up, then we'd have another ship to play with.

Thoughts..?
          There is no way we would keep another Daedalus we would have either renamed it or would have been destroyed.

My question is why did McKay develope the Alternate Reality Drive in the first place. I mean the technology is smart but it isn't something the IOA or the US government would commit one of their few ships to without a good reason.

Could it be because the enemy has simillar engines?
          Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
            There is no way we would keep another Daedalus we would have either renamed it or would have been destroyed.

My question is why did McKay develope the Alternate Reality Drive in the first place. I mean the technology is smart but it isn't something the IOA or the US government would commit one of their few ships to without a good reason.

Could it be because the enemy has simillar engines?
            I suppose we'll never truly know why they did it, but since it was suggested that they didn't have a ZPM maybe, like the alternate version of the Sg-1 team from "Ripple Effect," they decided to go looking for one in an alternate reality because they badly needed it for their future defense. Or better yet, they could've been trying to collect a stockpile. If they knew where to look, they wouldn't even have to steal any from their counterparts. All they needed to know is a location in their reality where there was a ZPM at one point and they then could've found a bunch of realities where Earth wasn't in the Pegasus galaxy and went looking there.

For example, because of their continued presence in the Pegasus galaxy they probably also time traveled and got help from Janus (otherwise Atlantis probably would've been destroyed when they came there and they wouldn't have a foothold in the galaxy). So they presumably also had his list of ZPM planets. If they also lost the ZPM from "The Brotherhood" because of the Genii, then they could find a reality where those people never moved it because Earth wasn't around to try to claim it. So this time they could use their knowledge of the situation to get it without a hitch and then repeat however many times they wanted. But I'd guess they were in the process of doing a test run when they realized they had bigger problems to worry about. It's a shame because if that was their plan it would've been a good one if they were only able to get all aspects of the drive working properly.
            Last edited by Xaeden; 03 August 2008, 06:04 PM.

Comment

They should of kept the ship repaired it and sent it on auto pilot and back to the strainded crew in that universe.

Comment

I'd imagine it's the same reason why we use the Stargate; just as there are tech and resources we can take from other planets, there are tech and resources we can take from other realities.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  I'd imagine it's the same reason why we use the Stargate; just as there are tech and resources we can take from other planets, there are tech and resources we can take from other realities.
                  Very true. You never know what could be found in each new reality.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

It would have definitely been interesting to see if the ship remained, but it would've required EXHAUSTIVE amounts of manhours and supplies to get it fully operational. Not only that, but Atlantis itself, in it's current state, isn't set up for ship construction. Though, they could easily convert an area on land for ship construction/repair, but that's a different story.

As per the NID statement, I wouldn't be surprised if the ship returns somehow...or if the Temporal Drive comes back into play. Probably some Asgard knowledge base technology that McKay will eventually find.

Comment

if the ship stayed?

im pretty sure they wouldnt decommission the ship let alone cannibalize the ship for spare parts. Its a working ship its just need a massive repair on everything. Atlantis is not suited for a repair station but im pretty sure they will send parts through the gate to get the ship working as fast as possible, and the original deadlues can haul parts in its hanger from earth to speed up the repair.

Comment

i think the could make another episode out of it they could use it but then the original crew could appear and take it back, but before they go they have to do a joined mission, and just before they get blown up they turn on the drive and leave.

Comment

i know they could just park it next to atlantis and turn it into a training facility, and then maybe add a swimming pool and spa as well for some extra relaxation

Comment

They might also have sent it back to the Milky Way for repairs and to use as another line of defense for Earth. Though I do like Xaeden stockpiling idea. I think that's the most likely course of action they would have taken, and the one most likely to be approved by the IOA and Earth's governments back home.
                            It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                            --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Working...
                            X