Subcutaneous Transmitters Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
    At least now the Atlantis Expedition has some accountability in Pegasus, and perhaps their contributions will be more appreciated. It was better to win the support of this coalition than to blow its leadership to hell.
    Its too bad none of the remaining episodes look like they'll even acknowledge the existence of the Pegasus coalition.

Oh yeah, i almost forgot. What about the time the SGC lowjacked Nerus in Off the Grid? Why dont they have anything like that?
    Last edited by freyr's mother; 27 October 2008, 02:24 PM.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ncc-72452 View Post
      Seriously though, I understand what you're saying, and to a certain extend I agree. Still, when any old village can kidnap and put our people on trial, it sets a dangerous precedent. An armed response would show that you leave our people alone because we will defend them.

They kept going on and on about "due process" in that episode, but seriously, where the heck was it on the part of the PG Alliance? There was none, so the appropriate response, IMO, would have been military to show that if you want to arrest our people, you obtain legal right through an extradition treaty. Anything else is called kidnapping, and kidnapping and abduction is dealt with via armed rescue.
      you got a good point. At the very least, the Travellers and the Daedalus should have started a planet-to-planet jump looking for them and utilised their spy network. This episode has a lot of holes in it especially when viewed from a diplomatic standing point.

Comment

Originally posted by PantheraLeo View Post
        you got a good point. At the very least, the Travellers and the Daedalus should have started a planet-to-planet jump looking for them and utilised their spy network. This episode has a lot of holes in it especially when viewed from a diplomatic standing point.
        That could have taken months or maybe years.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by PantheraLeo View Post
          Atlantis doesn't know how to contact the Travelers (their relationship depends on the Travelers contacting them) and the Daedalus has been out of the picture since the damage it took in "The Lost Tribe." Persumably it headed back to Earth for repairs and isn't in the Pegasus galaxy by now.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            That could have taken months or maybe years.
            Not necessarily...

In theory, you could go to each of the 50 stargates in the buffer of the gate on the planet where they were abducted and obtain the last 50 addresses in each of those gates. This is a total of 2550 gates. Since radio waves travel through both directions of a wormhole, you could simply dial each of those addresses, listen for the transponder, then move on. Assuming it takes five minutes to dial and listen (I think this is rather generous), you could cover all possible addresses in 8.8 days.

Now, assuming these gates aren't well used, you could try the 10 most recent addresses of each, lowering your number to 500, which could be covered in just 1.7 days. Once you find the planet where their transmitters are broadcasting, send your ship, beam up your crew, nuke the planet, and have a BBQ.

Comment

In theory, you could go to each of the 50 stargates in the buffer of the gate on the planet where they were abducted and obtain the last 50 addresses in each of those gates. This is a total of 2550 gates. Since radio waves travel through both directions of a wormhole, you could simply dial each of those addresses, listen for the transponder, then move on. Assuming it takes five minutes to dial and listen (I think this is rather generous), you could cover all possible addresses in 8.8 days.
              That is, of course, assuming they went through only two gates. Had they gone through three, four, or even five, the Atlantis expedition would end up having to explore a very large percentage of the gate network. And that means having to send people to a large chunk of them to check the DHDs and get the last 50 gate addresses. A number of those worlds are bound to be hostile and while it would probably be a safe bet to rule them out, they'd still lose a MALP on each of them. All too quickly they'd run out (they'd probably run out of Earth's supply as well if they did nothing but search those worlds) and overall, it would cut too heavily into normal gate operations for too long a period.

But even if they did only go through two gates, the trial seemed to last less than a day. So unless they were really lucky and unless they escaped on their own, Sheppard and his team would've been on the prison world long before they had time to scan all of those planets, meaning they'd also have to send people to check the DHDs on up to 2550 worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                That is, of course, assuming they went through only two gates. Had they gone through three, four, or even five, the Atlantis expedition would end up having to explore a very large percentage of the gate network. And that means having to send people to a large chunk of them to check the DHDs and get the last 50 gate addresses. A number of those worlds are bound to be hostile and while it would probably be a safe bet to rule them out, they'd still lose a MALP on each of them. All too quickly they'd run out (they'd probably run out of Earth's supply as well if they did nothing but search those worlds) and overall, it would cut too heavily into normal gate operations for too long a period.

But even if they did only go through two gates, the trial seemed to last less than a day. So unless they were really lucky and unless they escaped on their own, Sheppard and his team would've been on the prison world long before they had time to scan all of those planets, meaning they'd also have to send people to check the DHDs on up to 2550 worlds.
                True, but I thought that Teyla said that they had taken them through a second gate, so I was just going by what she said, and I was responding to Jelgate's post that it would have taken months or years to find them. That is not necessarily true. Also, once you start with more than two gates, you're bound to hit some overlap, which would decrease your total search.

As for trial length, I was under the impression that it lasted longer. They recessed several times, and I thought that was it for the day or that morning, or whatever. And, if you shortened the dialing time to a minute, which I find far more likely, and use only the last 10 addresses to start with, you could finish in eight hours, which might just be fast enough.

Perhaps I misspoke, but you wouldn't need to send people to 2550 gates, only 50 gates. Each gate would have the last 50 addresses that it had dialed. 50*50 = 2500 + 50 (original gate) = 2550. That's where you get the 2550 addresses to search. This is also assuming that each of the 50 addresses contained in the 51 gates is non-repeating, which I find unlikely given that we're dealing with a coalition of trading partners here. A large portion of the addresses would have to contain people going back and forth for trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  because they forgot to say 'todd removed it'

and the script didn't tell them to

seriously, convenient plot devices like the transponders often come back to bite the writers in the tushie since tehy often get so many plot devices going on that they forget which is which and forget to include them or account for them
                  Actually, it was Michael who removed Teyla's transmitter.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                  O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

True, but I thought that Teyla said that they had taken them through a second gate, so I was just going by what she said
                    Her exact wording was; "They took us through more than one gate." Which is was in response to Woolsey stating that they couldn't find them on the first 50 worlds - Before then they had no idea that they had been brought through more than one gate.

Perhaps I misspoke, but you wouldn't need to send people to 2550 gates, only 50 gates. Each gate would have the last 50 addresses that it had dialed. 50*50 = 2500 + 50 (original gate) = 2550. That's where you get the 2550 addresses to search. This is also assuming that each of the 50 addresses contained in the 51 gates is non-repeating, which I find unlikely given that we're dealing with a coalition of trading partners here. A large portion of the addresses would have to contain people going back and forth for trade.
                    No, you didn't misspeak. I was refering to how many they'd have to go to in order to recover the team from a third gate, if they did indeed go through three or if they went through two and they had time to send the team to the prison world - They'd need to go to the first 50, scan the 2500 that the DHDs there lead them to (assuming there wouldn't be duplicates which there of course would be) and then, if they had no luck, go to all of them in order to get the last 50 addresses from those.

Comment

Her exact wording was; "They took us through more than one gate." Which is was in response to Woolsey stating that they couldn't find them on the first 50 worlds - Before then they had no idea that they had been brought through more than one gate.
                      Gotcha! Personally, I think it would be a bit paranoid to go through more than one gate, but maybe they were thinking better safe than sorry!

No, you didn't misspeak. I was refering to how many they'd have to go to in order to recover the team from a third gate, if they did indeed go through three or if they went through two and they had time to send the team to the prison world - They'd need to go to the first 50, scan the 2500 that the DHDs there lead them to (assuming there wouldn't be duplicates which there of course would be) and then, if they had no luck, go to all of them in order to get the last 50 addresses from those.
                      Okay, and yeah, the more gates they would have taken them through, the more difficult it gets to find them. Assuming a worse case scenario of no over lapping addresses, it goes as follows:

1 gate: 50 addresses
                      2 gates: 2,550 addresses
                      3 gates: 127,550 addresses
                      4 gates: 6,377,550 addresses
                      5 gates: 318,877,550 addresses (possibly more than the total number of gates in the network!)

One thing that has always troubled me about the DHDs is that they are apparently a remarkably advanced computer, able to calculate and send correlative updates, yet they don't log the times of incoming and outgoing wormholes... If it did, you could easily track them through however many gates they dialed.

Comment

i know where were those ??
                        sigpic
                        May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Working...
                        X