No announcement yet.

Since When has Teyla had the ATA therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retcon, rewrite, revert -- same old thing.

Comment

Since when did Lorne get ATA? Since when did [insert same random guy who used ancient tech here] get ATA? Just because the writers don't fill an entire scene with someone getting jabbed by a needle like with McKay in "Hide and Seek" doesn't mean it didn't happen.That's just unneccessary dialog that the viewer can just fill in when they see previously non-gene people using gene-sensitive stuff!
      The collective IQ of the GWF just dropped several points with this topic!
      When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
      Zatnikitelman

Comment

Avalon Part 1:

MITCHELL: Don't they have to be activated by someone with the Ancient gene?
        Same file.
        DR. LEE: Well, that's what we thought at first, but no, like a lot of Ancient technology, the stones actually just need to be initialized.
        MITCHELL: By someone with the gene. That's a guess.
        DR. LEE (O/S): No, you're right…
        01:16:34:08 DR. LEE (CONT'D): Which these obviously have been.

Just saying that in SG-1, it is stated that a lot of the technology only had to be activated by someone with the gene and then could be accessed by all afterwards. *nod nod*
        sigpic

Comment

You expect them to remember stuff from way back in S1? You guys are way too demanding.

Comment

So they changed things. I've got no problem with that, since the ATA gene thing isn't really a big deal anymore. The problem I have with the Lucius-shield is that he was able to deactivate it and reactivate it without the Ancient gene. That contradicts the whole point of the ATA gene. First, the mere fact that its gene activated technology means that it is operated by those with the gene. Second, it is mentally controlled. So, if the ATA gene works by interfacing with the technology, Lucius still shouldn't have been able to use it, because he lacked the gene necessary to establish a link with the device.

As well, according to the Lucius quote, all someone w/o the gene needs to do is have the device "initiated", or activated for the first time, by someone with the gene, and then anyone can use it? What's the point of that? And a personal shield is not something you want anyone to be able to use. As well, wouldn't an Ancient have already used it 10,000 years prior? They didn't just make it and then discard it. It's all a big PLOTHOLE.

And people getting the gene is not just something minor. Why? Because it was stated in season 1, Hot Zone I believe, that not everyone can recieve it. When everyone suddenly is able to use Ancient technology, you kinda notice.

Oh, and Lorne has had the gene since he first appeared on the show.
            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
              So much for the writer's bible.

Yeah, I saw that and went, gee, since when can she use the LSD??
              Me too. Then I remembered Larrin using it and decided they decided to ignore it. Again.

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
              If I recall correctly, there was a fair amount of criticism regarding Lucius being able to use the shield, and personally I still don't think it makes sense the way they did it.

The ATA gene was a big deal back in S1, and you had to have it to operate certain things. But after that, things kind of fell apart. Ford and Michael being able to fly the jumpers, Lucius and the shield, Teyla and Larrin being able to use the LSDs. I guess the writers just decided to ignore it when it got in the way. Kinda like Teyla's vanishing and reappearing wraith powers.
              Exactly. Consistency? What's that?

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
              Since when did Lorne get ATA? Since when did [insert same random guy who used ancient tech here] get ATA? Just because the writers don't fill an entire scene with someone getting jabbed by a needle like with McKay in "Hide and Seek" doesn't mean it didn't happen.That's just unneccessary dialog that the viewer can just fill in when they see previously non-gene people using gene-sensitive stuff!
              The collective IQ of the GWF just dropped several points with this topic!
              I disagree. Someone like Teyla (been there since the beginning) doesn't suddenly get to start operating Ancient tech without an explanation. Lorne was using the ATA gene from the beginning. The issue is taking something that's canon (you have to have the gene to operate the LSD and pilot the jumper) then toss it in the wind whenever that plot point becomes inconvenient (like with Ford in Siege 3 and Larrin and Teyla).

Radek wasn't using an LSD in Reunion. It was a scanner (for energy signatures) and canon has never stated that needs the gene.
              sigpic
              Sig by Luciana
              My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

First off it wouldnt be a "plot hole" - people toss this term around an awful lot.. if anything it would just be a minor ding in the characters continuity.. which would only apply if it was impossible for it to be true.. OR something the character does that is absolutely and completely out of character..

in this case it isnt out of character, HOWEVER it is a point of interest for us the viewers because we feel if we hadnt been informed then its inaccurate..

Do we really need an entire episode showing every person on the base getting a shot?

Now, if in any future episodes, or movies, Teyla is unable to operate something due to not having the gene then that would make it even more suspect..

Other than that.. this character continuity issue with Teyla and the gene thingie.. ranks about -4 out of 10 on my scale of "what I care about in SGA".. meaning I dont care about it LOL
                sigpic
                I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
                "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
                Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

you Need the Gene to activate it, but then anybody can use it, like Larrin's ship all Shep had to do was Activate it

sigpic
                  Sig made by squirrely1
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
                  *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

Well it's abit late now but someone should pass a memo around stating what elements of the show needs an ATA gene.

Comment

Originally posted by Livestick View Post
                      From "Irresponsible"

McKAY: How is it that you’re able to operate the Ancient technology without the A.T.A. gene?

LUCIUS: Oh, that was easy. All I had to do was find a guy with the gene, have him initiate the device. I mean, it took a long time but, you know, once it was done, I could activate this thing any time I wanted.

This seems to indicate that you don't actually need the ATA gene to use Ancient technology, you just have to have it activated by someone with the gene. Obviously someone with the gene activated Teyla's LSD.
                      Hmm...Nice. So I was right.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                      and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Originally posted by supersoldier34 View Post
                        It just really bugs me. Next Ronan will be using the Chair

HAHA thought you meant LSD the drug at first
                        Green for the 'Ronon on the Chair' image!

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                        WRITE it down.
                        Yeah, they should.

Originally posted by :Orion Coran: View Post
                        Heh, oh well. Thanks for pointing that out.

Too be honest though, Teyla holding the LSD which is appeared to be "activated" is such a minor plot hole that it doesn't bother me.
                        Well, if it is one, it does sure bother me, because I mostly don't see plot holes, but I did notice this thing.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

No, this isn't a plot hole. It's a hole in continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavatarman View Post
                            you Need the Gene to activate it, but then anybody can use it, like Larrin's ship all Shep had to do was Activate it
                            For the ship they needed some special interface/ bypass to use it. They needed Sheppard to activate it and provide the blood or DNA necessary for the ship to function with out someone with the ATA.
                            supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wm_1987 View Post
                              From the Seige part 2, when the wraith got into Atlantis and Everett was talking to Sheppard

SHEPPARD: Well, we have this. (He reaches into his jacket, takes out a lifesigns detector and shows it to Everett, who looks at the many dots blinking on its screen.) It can't differentiate between Wraith and human but if we confine all base personnel to designated areas, the blips that show up out of bounds will be the likely targets.

EVERETT: Let me see that.

SHEPPARD (handing him the detector): Won't do you any good. You need the gene.

(Everett holds up the detector to show that it's still working.)

EVERETT: I got the gene therapy too.

I just think that the writers forget what needs the gene and what doesn't, or who does and doesn't have it.
                              Yeah... but Zelenka has no ATA therapy and he's been using life-signs detectors (they're the same prop as the scanners, they both come out of that little slot in the Jumper) for three years now! (And nobody noticed, which I find interesting. Alas, poor Teyla.)

The best retcon fix I can come up with is that Sheppard told the LSD to turn off, but it turned back on again because Everett had the gene. The Genii commander, on the other hand, didn't have the gene to override John's commands. (Like the doors and Woolsey.)

I know. Retcon. The continuity director on this show needs to be sacked.

DragonLady
                              "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now." -- Delenn

Comment

Am I the only one who didn't think of that LSD upon first reading the title but a different one altogether?

Just me? Good to know....I'll be getting my brain checked soon.

The ATA gene; useful when TPTB need some obstacles to throw in the path of our fearless leaders, but ultimately forgettable when it proves to be a nuisance. Kind of like the Wraith and their super-strength or their universal telepathic abilities.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X