No announcement yet.

The unimportance of Teyla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really dislike how much they are shoving Keller down our throats.

This has too many shades of Ezri Dax from DP9 Final Season. The final season had too many episodes devoted to her so they could characterize her, but considering it WAS the final season it basically felt like she robed too much time. It doesn't help that her character was not that great anyways and was just a rehash of the early character she was replacing.

Keller has been the focus of too many episodes to quickly build her character so we could always care about her when they decide to do dramatic things. Considering that this maybe the final season this makes it all the more a kick in the teeth to long time viewers who watched the original cast from day one. Especially with Teyla because of her pushed back to being a minor character in the show. It is a disservice to the fans and the actress with the timing that this happened.
    " Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. "
    - Douglas Noel Adams ( 1952 - 2001 ), So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish

Comment

Originally posted by NIKIN View Post
      This week I noticed something was missing, ... **snipped**

What are the writers playing at? Seriously
      You are about three seasons behind the Teyla issue

It's sad that we don't have the Teyla of season 1 and 2. The respectable, useful, "alien" character who was enjoyable to watch. The character who was very useful to the Atlantis team and the Wraith/Pegasus story.

Her decline as a significant character followed the general decline of the Wraith collectively as characters. Teyla had become downright useless, when the Wraith neutering was written in to SGA at the end of season 3.

In summary, the writers simply haven't cared about Teyla since about season 3 onwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
        Teyla had...

Search and Rescue
        Broken Ties (As the entire B Story)
        The Queen
        The Prodigal

Keller had..

The Seed
        Tracker
        BrainStorm
        Identity
        Funny how them Keller episodes revolve around her being kidnapped or taken over, or a combination of both. Oh, and trapped with Rodney, again.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

OMFG..... even the thread ABOUT the LACK of Teyla this season has Keller taking it over!!!

Let's just take Tayla, Rodney, Ronon, John, Richard, Lorne, Radek, Amelia and Chuck and Run Far away from Keller!

Sheesh
          Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
            OMFG..... even the thread ABOUT the LACK of Teyla this season has Keller taking it over!!!

Let's just take Tayla, Rodney, Ronon, John, Richard, Lorne, Radek, Amelia and Chuck and Run Far away from Keller!

Sheesh
            It wouldn't work. Keller is everywhere.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

*bangs head against the wall* (sigh)

Comment

NOOOOOO

Not my prizied wall.

Its even more important then Wallpaper Emmagen
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  NOOOOOO

Not my prizied wall.

Its even more important then Wallpaper Emmagen

aww Jel...Be quiet
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                    ...name an ep where Teyla was the plot device?
                    The Queen

Without Teyla Todd would have had one Wraith Queen short of actually having one. She was nothing more than a tool to be used. How very convenient they had someone with Wraith DNA, and we know she's not the only one with that little gift among the Athosians. They could have used anyone, but why use a one off character when you can have Teyla who is otherwise quite useless.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I think Teyla from Season 4 to 5 has gotten a lot of focus and development. She has been a major part of one of the major story arcs at hand. It started with "Missing" and ended with "The Prodigal" which in between had 8 eps heavy on Teyla. With these eps we saw her ability at hand, along with the team trying to rescue her, while she gives birth and tries to save the father of her child, and has to make a decision if she would rejoin Sheppard's team. I have been satisfied with Teyla and they have not dumbed her down, quite the opposite. It's not easy to give focus to a single character all the time. For the amount of eps she has gotten the fans, imo, should be content.

Now Keller comes along after being absent for about 4 eps in a row and people are saying the show is Keller heavy since she has been a focus for like 2 eps out of 5 for the rest of the season? I just have to disagree with that in the most respectable way.
                      sigpic

Comment

Now Keller comes along after being absent for about 4 eps in a row and people are saying the show is Keller heavy since she has been a focus for like 2 eps out of 5 for the rest of the season? I just have to disagree with that in the most respectable way.
                        Let's not hide from the truth here. The Rodney/Jennifer story arc has been a major component of Season 5. Because of this, Jennifer has received a significant amount of development. The second half of the season was especially McKeller heavy.

No whether or not Jennifer received more development than Teyla we could argue for days, but let's at least admit that Jennifer was one half of one of the dominant arcs of the season.
                        sigpic

Comment

Briangate78,

I guess this topic really is a matter of perspective..

You don't see the lack of Teyla and that is cool, but a lot of "People" do see a real downslide of how much Teyla/Rachel has had to do in season 5 as opposed to Keller/Staite did/does.

I know as one of the "People" that do see the lack of Teyla and I get irked about how little she had to do in this season.

Whispers, Tracker, Brainfart and Vegas she was not even in. The Lost "Tribe she had a few lines (whoopee) and Inquistion was a joke. She had a little story about how to be a working mom and she had The Queen and Prodigal was about Teyla and Torren.

Yet in The Shrine,Tracker, Brainfart, Identity, The Lost Tribe, First Contact, the Seed (I know she was laying down on the job but the story was pretty much about Keller turning into a Hive ship) the increase of stories about Keller in my opinion is apparent.

You say there wasn't a lack of Tayla, I say there was *shruggs*

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post

You say there wasn't a lack of Tayla, I say there was *shruggs*
                            It's fine, agree to disagree.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think Teyla from Season 4 to 5 has gotten a lot of focus and development.
                              You really are watching a different show.

That just confirmed it.

She has been a major part of one of the major story arcs at hand.
                              Who the frell are you kidding there? That pathetic little thing in season 4 was the worst definition of an arc ever. It was more the kind of 'how to get rid of Teyla as fast as possible' and also 'how to wallpaper an actress without having her know she's not all that important anyway'... That was no arc, that was a collection of moments thrown in to keep the viewers happy otherwise they probably ask too many questions.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                You really are watching a different show.

That just confirmed it.

Who the frell are you kidding there? That pathetic little thing in season 4 was the worst definition of an arc ever. It was more the kind of 'how to get rid of Teyla as fast as possible' and also 'how to wallpaper an actress without having her know she's not all that important anyway'... That was no arc, that was a collection of moments thrown in to keep the viewers happy otherwise they probably ask too many questions.
                                Missing - Teyla's people are gone missing
                                The Seer - Teyla's is searching for her people, and asked the Seer what he knew.

Spoils of War- Teyla uses her gift to take control of a Wraith but with the help of her baby almost killing him. This was a big turning point for Teyla who still wanted to fight but realized she could not even if she wanted.

The Kindred Part 1 - All about Teyla

The Kindred part 2 - All about Teyla and the return of Carson.

The Last Man - The entire episode event was meant about what had happened if Teyla did not get rescue and Michael won. It also directed them to where Teyla was going to be held by Michael.

Search and Rescue - Who were they Searching and Rescueing? Who gave birth on the Hive Ship?

Broken Ties- Teyla was confused to whether it was right to rejoin Sheppard team, half the episode was about her decision to rejoin the team and felt left out when the team went to mount a rescue for Ronon.

The Queen - Using her abilities, she was tranformed into a Wraith to help Todd.

The Prodigal - The end of the Michael arc and Missing story arc.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X