No announcement yet.

One question not being asked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it also appeared to be a relatively small ship, we've never seen a small asgard ship before so have no idea if they can do it or not. come to think of it we've seen no small hyperspace capable craft that was designed to do it and could do it properly. 302 with naquadria drive that didn't work properly and the puddle jumper was never designed for hyperspace.

Comment

Originally posted by WookiE View Post
      How is it that this unknown ship opened two hyperspace windows in the atmosphere of the planet? We know from previous SG episodes it is incredibly dangerous and possibly catastrophic to open hyperspace windows so close to the planet.

We never saw in SG1 that the asguard (or us using their tech) able to do this safely, nor has it been suggested anywhere that the ancients could do this. So is this one of janus's secret experiments? and if it is why would it be secret?
      Actually no, that's not true. The only reason to assume that it even might be dangerous is this dialog from Redemption:

SAM: He's right! The window formed, it was just unstable.

MURPHY: Colonel, we don't know what would happen if we tried to open a hyperspace window within the atmosphere.

JACK: Yeah, well, given the situation ...
      IIRC it's never been stated that opening a hyperspace window inside the atmosphere is actually dangerous, and given that we've seen both an F-302 and a replicator ship do it, it's probably not.

Comment

We know that its possible in emergency situations. A replicator ship used a hyperspace window near the surface of the Asgard homeworld to escape the replicator disruptor wave. In the Lost City Teal'c dropped out of hyperspace extremely close to Earth and was barely able to slow his descent, once again, dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by craigmaceachern View Post
          We know that its possible in emergency situations. A replicator ship used a hyperspace window near the surface of the Asgard homeworld to escape the replicator disruptor wave. In the Lost City Teal'c dropped out of hyperspace extremely close to Earth and was barely able to slow his descent, once again, dangerous.
          What makes you think it's dangerous?

Comment

coming out of hyperspace inside the planet would be pretty dangerous. as well as the hyperspace window ripping up bits of planet if your to close (in this ep we saw them drop out over water which solves this)

Comment

Originally posted by WookiE View Post
              coming out of hyperspace inside the planet would be pretty dangerous. as well as the hyperspace window ripping up bits of planet if your to close (in this ep we saw them drop out over water which solves this)
              Total speculation, there's no evidence for any of that.

Comment

I know in Star Wars, the gravity of a planet becomes a sevwere issue with hyperspace travel, it oculd be because of this too. Physics in Sci-Fi tend to borrow off one another.
                I think there's an accuracy problem too. If you're coming out that clsoe to a planet, there may be a chance that you're going to emerge INSIDE the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by PMN1 View Post
                  Thats what a poster on a current affairs board I am on says ALL the time, usually followed by the Ford company having a patent on a water powered car......and he means it, I suspect he spends his entire life wearing silver foil........
                  ha. I wouldn't doubt it

But anyways the technology they used is obviously very advanced, this hyperspace window on the planet is just showing us that. Also, if BSG can do it... why can't they?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    Total speculation, there's no evidence for any of that.
                    yes. but I don't think dropping out of hyperspace inside a planet could be very good for a planet or your ship

Comment

I think its more a case of it being very difficult to do. imagine the speeds at which your travelling you not only have to have the correct alignment coming into the planet so you don't crash straight into the planet but know the terrain so you don't then carry on straight into a mountain and deceleration is also an issue. In one episode of sg-1 when coming out of hyperspace close to a planet, admittedly it was head on to the planet, the cargo ship barely managed to pull up before impacting on the surface. then there's also the risk of coming out inside the planet which i would imagine to be a rather unpleasant and decidedly deadly experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X