Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously they couldn't mount a better defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darts and F302s have inertia dampner, which allows them to do much more maneuver and speed than conventional fighters, even F22 i think will not stand a chance in a dog fight, I still wonder why no land based ground to air missile was fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
      1) Firstly, there is no way that any of the IOA member nations would have allowed the Chair to be moved from Antarctica into sole US possession. And speaking of which, does that mean that ZPM is gone now too?
      The actual chair didn't belong to the IOA, it belonged to the US Military.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
        The actual chair didn't belong to the IOA, it belonged to the US Military.
        why?
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
          why?
          Because they found it? I'm not sure what you're asking... same reason the SGC is made up of American military and same reason Atlantis has an all American military presence. All this sh*t belongs to them, the IOA are just watch-dogs.
          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Hey guys! I just registered to the forum but have been browsing through for years already. Anyway, I was wondering about Earth's defenses. Since we (Earth) have inherited all scientific and technological knowledge from the ASGARD. Wouldn't hat make Earth really superior? I mean, the Asgard had the matter converter which can create anything right away. Mass production of highly advanced technology would be very very easy. It's like the last episode of SG1 didn't really matter that much when in fact it should be the end of all foes.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzd View Post
              Hey guys! I just registered to the forum but have been browsing through for years already. Anyway, I was wondering about Earth's defenses. Since we (Earth) have inherited all scientific and technological knowledge from the ASGARD. Wouldn't hat make Earth really superior? I mean, the Asgard had the matter converter which can create anything right away. Mass production of highly advanced technology would be very very easy. It's like the last episode of SG1 didn't really matter that much when in fact it should be the end of all foes.
              Not unless they could somehow use the matter converter to make a GIANT matter converter... plus you need matter to convert it

Comment

Originally posted by SSJPabs View Post
                Anyhow, I think there's a good reason there were no allied ships: the hive just toyed with the most powerful human ships in 3 galaxies (Ori, Milky Way and Pegasus). You all saw what the Ori toilets did to Ha'taks. They probably should have tossed a line in there about how "Why no allies?" "They'd have no chance, all we'd ask them to do is die with us."
                That is by far the best reasoning yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                  That is by far the best reasoning yet.
                  It is and it is also morbidly practical. The Wraith weren't there to destroy Earth, but to feed and they may have gorged themselves this time around, but the number of lives lost would have a limit. Dying for a lost cause when the whole planet is at stake is worth the one in a billion chance. Fighting and dying without damaging your enemy at all just adds to the death toll.

Also, if the Wraith stay focused on Earth, there is a better chance to contain them. The last thing you'd want them to know is they could get away with the hit and run lifestyle they had in the Pegasus galaxy by letting them know how populated the MW is.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

When they made the stargate connection between Atlantis and the Super Hive ship, my first thought was SEND A NUKE!!!!!. Instead they sent a few grenades and four people.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlinhos_B View Post
                      When they made the stargate connection between Atlantis and the Super Hive ship, my first thought was SEND A NUKE!!!!!. Instead they sent a few grenades and four people.
                      I'm guessing they didn't have any nukes. so a strike was all they could do. I was think why didn't they send more troops.. they could have taken out most of the ship and salvaged it prehapps.

Comment

Some of the problems with Earth's defences (EG, no generals around) were explained when Carter and Shep said that the Hiveship had arrived a full week early.

They simply expected to have a LOT more time to perpare than they ended up having, so they were caught off guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlinhos_B View Post
                          Actually, what they could have realistically done is to fire a few drones from a puddle jumper (or even from Atlantis itself) through the gate to destroy the wraith ship from the inside. Drones -have- to be more effective then a nuke. Not a lot of explosion power, but they could get bypass the armor from within.

They could of also thrown an Asgard time dilation device through the gate to stop time for the wraith.

They could of dialed the alpha site and borrowed a nuke from them.

They could of used the ancient chair to help deal with the fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by AVShomerx View Post
                            I'm guessing they didn't have any nukes. so a strike was all they could do. I was think why didn't they send more troops.. they could have taken out most of the ship and salvaged it prehapps.
                            Actually if the idea was to send a nuke, just unplug one of those ZPMs and strap some C4 to it and toss it through the gate.

Of course, that would probably destroy the solar system, Atlantis (I doubt the gate shield would hold), and for some unknown reason, send a shockwave through subspace and destroy all reality and Col. Carter ends up on a different show with monsters all around...

Comment

Originally posted by The6thRace View Post
                              Actually, what they could have realistically done is to fire a few drones from a puddle jumper (or even from Atlantis itself) through the gate to destroy the wraith ship from the inside. Drones -have- to be more effective then a nuke. Not a lot of explosion power, but they could get bypass the armor from within.

They could of also thrown an Asgard time dilation device through the gate to stop time for the wraith.

They could of dialed the alpha site and borrowed a nuke from them.

They could of used the ancient chair to help deal with the fighters.
                              Well, would drones even work past a gate? I mean...we don't know how the technology works, really, for all we know the drone would just fall on the ground at the other end.

Really doubt Atlantis had any Asgard time dilation devices.

Thats all I got though.

Comment

Rebuttal
                                1.) General O'Neill isn't retired.
                                2.) We can assume that the rest of SG-1 is on that super-secret mission the Odyssey was on (possibly with Jack commanding).

3.) In terms of the main point, I thought about the lack of defense at first too, but I picked up a line that pretty much explains a lot of it. When the Hive arrived they said that it wasn't expected for weeks. Therefore it could easily be put forth that:
                                a.) They had contacted Bra'tac and he was assembling a Jaffa fleet to assist, but they were just too late because the Wraith were expected weeks later, it takes time to assemble a fleet and Ha'taks are extremely slow compared to Asgard, Ancient and Super Wraith Hyperdrives.

b.) They could have contacted the Tok'ra, but the same problems that the Jaffa had would still apply.

c.) They could have contacted Tomin & the ex-Ori, but the same problems would still apply.

d.) The Asgard are dead & the Nox wouldn't help anyway. Travellers wouldn't be able to help.

IMO, the biggest error on Carter's part (she seemed to be running Earth's defense with Jack, Landry & the rest of SG-1 all indisposed) was not ordering Sheppard into the chair immediately. Shep is a great pilot & Wraith expert, but I'm pretty sure we should assume that there are many great pilots at Homeworld Security's disposal.

It could also be argued that non-F-302s should have been conscripted into the battle. While outmatched technologically, we saw in Continuum that with good human pilots, US & Russian Fighter Jets were a match for alien spacecrafts.
                                sigpic
                                "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                                ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
                                X