No announcement yet.

S5: Critique and Contemplations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re Sheppard in S&R, I didn't have an issue with him going on the mission with the injury, adrenaline and willpower can do amazing things, but I wish it hadn't been done so much at the expense of Keller's and Carter's authority.

Injury and all, Sheppard was probably still the most experienced pilot for the job, and given the character he is, of course he's going to insist on going on the rescue for one of his friends. But I think it would have worked better to have him convince Keller and Carter to let him go and show them agreeing with his necessity to the mission. Make it more of a collaborative decision by the three of them instead of having Sheppard run roughshod over the other two in order to get his way.

I think S&R could have started/continued an interesting character arc for Sheppard, he starts out talking about how he's 'the guy' or the one who always does the heroics, and Ronon points out to him a couple of times that he doesn't have to always do everything himself. Sheppard the rogue rulebreaker has been there from the beginning, but I would think by now he'd appreciate the benefit of teamwork a bit more.

So after S&R, I was kinda hoping for some more moments where Sheppard questioned whether he should run off on his own to save the day, that maybe he didn't always have to be 'the guy', something like what Starbuck went through on BSG. Alas, The Seed put a kibosh on that idea.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
      Agreed. Good discussion though.
      Yes it was

I think maybe part of the problem was that I was getting a little tired of the Shep whump

*iz not a Shep whumper*
      sigpic

Comment

Even Rachel has doubts at this point in the series:
        So do you feel that the show ended prematurely?
        On the one hand, yes. I do. But on the other hand we had five years and that was great, and doing five years of one character can be very rewarding – obviously for an actor it’s great to have that kind of consistency, but, you know, you get to a certain point where if you’re not really on a par with how everything’s developing, it’s kind of time to perhaps move on.
        http://www.scifinow.co.uk/interviews...chel-luttrell/
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
          Even Rachel has doubts at this point in the series:

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/interviews...chel-luttrell/
          Thanks for posting this. Interesting interview. I'm not surprised she feels this way because as nice as it must have been to have a steady gig working with people she enjoyed, as an actor, the lack of development for her character must have been frustrating.
          sigpic
          Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
            ...the lack of development for her character must have been frustrating.
            Not just for her.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Not just for her.
              Yep, unfortunately, she had lots of company in this area.
              sigpic
              Sig by Luciana

Comment

Not just for her.
                Ditto.

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                Yep, unfortunately, she had lots of company in this area.
                Oh we could start our own wee club
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                  Oh we could start our own wee club
                  I think it's safe to say we can drop the "wee".
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I think it's safe to say we can drop the "wee".
                    sigpic

Comment

hmm the last half of season 4 was terrible for me(except midway) and i have to say season 5 was just as bad. i was already losing patience with the way things were developing in the show in terms of romance, enemies, exploration of atlantis and pegasus.

For me personally i bealive everything went wrong the moment they got rid of elizabeth as from that moment everything seemed to change and became sort of experimental and by that i mean they began toying with character romances, alliance/cure with wraith, evil asgard(i hate the unoriginality of this) etc.but dont get me wrong season 5 had some awesome episodes such as daedalus variations, the shrine, first contact and the refreshing Vegas. the show lost its mojo when the wraith became more of a nuisance than the terrifying new enemy they were when the show began and i guess we can blame this on writing inconsistencies.

In season 1 the wraith were incredibly hard to kill and now all it takes is like a few shots from a P90 and also all of a sudden everyone seemed to develop some magical mental block that stopped the wraith from making people see things. also whats up with all these wraith leaders looking the same(probably played by the same guy) and the lack of unique wraith i mean all we got was Todd. We didnt even get to find out much about the wraith like we know the goau'ld which was very dissapointing for me.

i have to say i really hated the whole Michael/Teyla/Baby/Athosians/Hybrids storyline i was so boring for me and i guess the writers had no idea what they wanted to do with teyla so when rachel got pregnant they decided to pull that story out of nowhere.
                      sigpic

Comment

having now finally seeing season 5 when I bought the DVD box set, I have to say that I am extremely dissapointed. I though season 4 was bad, I think season 5 was on par. There might be no more then a handful of good episodes if that.

The only positive was I felt EATG was a much better series ender then Unending (and I am no fan of Unending). The Mackeller thing wasn't that much of an issue for me because they didn't really get together until Brainstorm, and what a disastor of an episode that was (worst CG ever on Atlantis), bad story and boring as boring gets.

Overall IMO I am very sad at the direction Atlantis took in the last 2 seasons, as I truly believed Atalntis could have been better then SG1, but that just didn't happen.

Also I personally thought " Lost Tribe and Ist Contact" were very overrated and MS's performance was sub-par.

Season 5 4/10

Comment

So O'Neill will be a recurring character on SGU. Jackson will make multiple guest appearances on that show. The same is probably true for Carter. No love for the SGA characters?
                          sigpic

Comment

well they want sg1 fans to watch sgu, the sga fans are simply the "red-headed step child"... i wouldn't mind seeing sga people on sgu... as long as they don't bring over Mckay. he was horrible enough on sga.

Comment

the topic is issues with season five

not issues with the casting of SGU
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

So seeing as it looks like the talk of what would you change in S&R seems to have dried up. We move onto The Seed

ummmm.......Someone else can go first

No wait. I know one thing I would have done differently. I would have had Ronon save the day for once And not have John get whumped, for the second time in 2 eps And in the same place if I mind right *shakes head*

Ok that's two things
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X