S5: Critique and Contemplations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    I've been watching the commentaries and thought you might find a few things interesting. Some will hopefully provoke further discussion and a few will clarify a question or two but probably make you even more frustrated. LOL Anyway, a few notes I made: Martin Gero and Andy Mikita doing the commentaries for FC and TLT. Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm just telling what I heard.
    Thanks for sharing this stuff. I know I'm late to the party, but feel compelled to comment on a few of these...

6. They were surprised that JF didn't complain when the script said "Sheppard lies on top of Zelenka" MG (imitates JF) "I'm not doing that".
    Perhaps JF is more mature than you are MG?

7. They loved Zelenka with the kid. MG: "People think we make a fool of Zelenka too much but I disagree with them".
    Obviously.

9. The whole thing with the Asgard happened because coming up with a new alien would be too expensive. MG: "Why not use that frickin' puppet".
    Oh, there's a good reason.

((()))

Comment

Ok, I know alot of this has been discussed, but I'm five episodes in and thought I'd give a bit of a summary of what I thought of the episodes.

Search and Rescue- Pretty awesome episode, gets things going again, everybody has a moment (yeah, including Teyla and Ronon!). It felt like a classic, fun episode. Not the best season opener ever, but enough to get you excited about the season. 4/5 from me.

The Seed- a drop-off of course, but still decent. It was nice seeing Woolsey be brought in and some of the regular crew struggle a bit with the new boss coming in. Pretty average, but again Ronon and Teyla get moments of their own. I've seen people complain about this being an episode centered around Keller, but honestly I don't see it. She was the "victim to the evil entity" this time around, and she was sitting with organic vines surrounding her while the other people talked. The episode wasn't really about her. Not the best of the episodes, but one of the necessary ones. 3/5

Broken Ties- Ah, the early season Ronon episode! Some really nice acting moments for Momoa, and there are still Teyla moments! Solid episode, exciting, about what you'd expect. Woolsey doing a great job so far. I don't see the Rodney-centricism yet. 3.5/5

The Daedalus Variations- Now THIS was a team episode. It felt like classic SG-1 here. Everyone had something to do, there was action and humor and an interesting story, all of that. Cool new aliens. Oh, and no Keller. My one minor quibble is that Picardo wasn't in the episode, so it felt like Lorne and Sheppard were the ones in charge of the base. Otherwise, fantastic. 4.5/5 (I don't give 5's out easily, otherwise this would be one)

Ghost in the Machine- first off, Michelle Morgan did an absolutely fantastic job as Weir, right down to the mannerisms and the way she talks. Really, really good. I wish Torri had been in the episode, but Morgan's great performance helped make up for it. Teyla got a nice scene with Weir, and Keller doesn't appear AGAIN (I'm sorry, I don't see how this is the Keller show yet). Some pretty interesting ideas in the episode, the most thought-provoking episode of the season (you can talk about friendship, prejudice, trust, all sorts of stuff). Not action packed, but still really good. Some people may say that the ending doesn't really solve anything, and it's a valid point, but I think the journey and Weir's ultimate sacrifice is the really important part. It's a shame this story most likely won't be continued. I'd give it somewhere between 4/5 and 4.5/5

So a long post, to summarize it- Rodney has been "featured" at moments, but it's hardly Rodney-centric so far. Keller has been seen the least of the main cast (other than Woolsey). There's been team moments in every episode. Fun action, humor, and some nice drama so far. Seeing the response to some of the episodes on this thread (and others), I was mildly worried that the whole season was a waste of time, but honestly I don't see that yet.

Now, I realize that most of the complaints have been about later episodes, but with the first quarter of the episode having all episodes that were at least solid (and I'm sure I'll like at least some of the next 15 episodes) the season CAN'T be a total wash, at least for me. Of course everyone is welcome to their opinions and I respect them, but so far I'm thinking that alot of people have exaggerated the issues of season 5 and overlooked alot of the good things about it (at least the good things about the episodes I saw).

I'll say one last time, most of the real complaints have been about the later episodes rather than the earlier ones, so I'll be pretty interested to see how much I agree with the opinions of some of the other posters here.
      "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
      "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

Originally posted by A_PophisandhisFran View Post
        Now, I realize that most of the complaints have been about later episodes, but with the first quarter of the episode having all episodes that were at least solid (and I'm sure I'll like at least some of the next 15 episodes) the season CAN'T be a total wash, at least for me. Of course everyone is welcome to their opinions and I respect them, but so far I'm thinking that alot of people have exaggerated the issues of season 5 and overlooked alot of the good things about it (at least the good things about the episodes I saw).

I'll say one last time, most of the real complaints have been about the later episodes rather than the earlier ones, so I'll be pretty interested to see how much I agree with the opinions of some of the other posters here.
        Remarks like this make me angry. Just because you liked episodes that I didn't means that I must be exaggerating my dislike? Who are you to decide such a thing?

People have different likes and dislikes. What drew me to SGA may be completely different than what drew you. Your 'solid' episode doesn't feel so solid to me. Your great team moments are far too few and often to stilted to be great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
          Remarks like this make me angry. Just because you liked episodes that I didn't means that I must be exaggerating my dislike? Who are you to decide such a thing?

People have different likes and dislikes. What drew me to SGA may be completely different than what drew you. Your 'solid' episode doesn't feel so solid to me. Your great team moments are far too few and often to stilted to be great for me.
          I loaded my post with "imo" and I said "the season can't be a total wash, at least for ME". What more do you want, do you want me to dislike the season just because you do? I never said you were exaggerating your dislike, I'm sure you disliked it a great deal. What I'm saying is that I don't think the season suffers from the problems mentioned as greatly as some say, hence I think the problems with some of the episodes were exaggerated.

Just because I respect your opinion doesn't mean that I have to think you're right. If I like an episode and you don't, then OF COURSE I think I'm right and I think you're wrong. I believe all opinions are equally valid and important, but it would be silly for me to act like I think all opinions are equally right. So we disagree, and since it's something as trivial as a tv show it should be easy to talk about each other's opinions and have fun with it.

Sorry, I don't see what there is to be angry about.

I'll be watching The Shrine today. It seems to be a sore spot of the season for a few people, maybe then I'll understand better what some people are saying.
          Last edited by A_PophisandhisFran; 07 July 2009, 08:37 AM.

Comment

I loaded my post with "imo" and I said "the season can't be a total wash, at least for ME".
            That part was fine. You were expressing your opinion about the show.
            What more do you want, do you want me to dislike the season just because you do?
            No. I didn't say that. Although, I am a bit curious if you perhaps misunderstood the title of this thread? I'm not sure why you feel the need to come into a thread critical of S5 and play cheerleader.
            I never said you were exaggerating your dislike, I'm sure you disliked it a great deal.
            Ah. So I'm not part of "a lot of people"? Why didn't you says so?
            What I'm saying is that I don't think the season suffers from the problems mentioned as greatly as some say, hence I think the problems with the some of the episodes were exaggerated.
            That's the part that annoyed me. The part where you presumed that a lot of people aren't giving valid opinions of S5. You don't have to agree with my opinion, but I'll thank you not to dismiss it.
            Just because I respect your opinion doesn't mean that I have to think you're right.
            How are you respecting my opinion? You've stated it's completely exaggerated, as well as the opinion of anyone else who agrees with me.
            If I like an episode and you don't, then OF COURSE I think I'm right and I think you're wrong. I believe all opinions are equally valid and important, but it would be silly for me to act like I think all opinions are equally right. So we disagree, and since is something as trivial as a tv show it should be easy to talk about each other's opinions and have fun with it.

Sorry, I don't see what there is to be angry about.
            I don't like what you like. I disagree with your opnion. But I managed to refrain from stating that you're taking the few positive moments and giving them far greater importance than they merit. I've refrained from stating that your opinion can't be taken seriously because you clearly have no taste, or providing some other reason to dismiss your thoughts. .

Comment

I believe it's time to break out the booze, sing Kumbaya and remark on how hot Joe is. Oh, look, a mini bar with everything to my right! How convenient.

*shuffles everyone their poison of choice*

*shuffles out sneakily*
              you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                *cloud of dust as she sprints off*

And they thought it was funny too - it's in the commentary of the episode. For those who own that dreadful season on DVD, you'll find the proof you seek. I'm not making this up.
                Oh yeah...They're really mature 5 year old are more mature than this lot

What team?
                There was a team?

How very naive of you.
                Aye probably....But I still have faith in a couple of writers, Alan McCullough and Carl Binder We''l soon see if Carl lets me down or not

That would be one Doctor Meredith Rodney McKay.
                Oh yes, of course

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
                I believe it's time to break out the booze, sing Kumbaya and remark on how hot Joe is. Oh, look, a mini bar with everything to my right! How convenient.

*shuffles out sneakily*
                Kavan's hotter *runs away from all the Shep thunkers*
                Last edited by Linda06; 07 July 2009, 11:44 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

First off, the title of the thread says, "This thread is for OPEN DISCUSSION of season five of Atlantis." So that's why I'm here, for a fun discussion about the ups and downs of the show and the season. Just because I like 5 episodes it doesn't make me a "cheerleader".

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post

That's the part that annoyed me. The part where you presumed that a lot of people aren't giving valid opinions of S5. You don't have to agree with my opinion, but I'll thank you not to dismiss it.

How are you respecting my opinion? You've stated it's completely exaggerated, as well as the opinion of anyone else who agrees with me.

I don't like what you like. I disagree with your opnion. But I managed to refrain from stating that you're taking the few positive moments and giving them far greater importance than they merit. I've refrained from stating that your opinion can't be taken seriously because you clearly have no taste, or providing some other reason to dismiss your thoughts. .

Show me where I said your opinion isn't valid? Where did I dismiss your opinion? Where did I say your opinion was "completely exaggerated"? I NEVER said, or even came close to saying, that you have no taste or that your opinion can't be taken seriously. I never dismissed anyone's thoughts, and that's why I made my post, as a counterpoint.

I think the problem here is probably that you're misreading my post, especially the word "exaggerate". When I say that people exaggerate the bad parts of the episode, I'm not talking directly about their actual opinion. I believe these people may be wrong, but I am NOT saying that their opinion isn't as valid as mine or that they weren't speaking their opinion. What I'm saying is that I believe that you (and others) have underestimated the intrinsic value of the show, or overestimated how bad the season is. That's ALL I meant by the word, I wasn't attacking the validity of your opinion and I wasn't disrespecting your opinion. As I said, if I disagree with your opinion than I DO think you're wrong, and that's all I was saying.

If it's worth anything, I apologize if I caused any offense, I certainly wasn't setting out to disrespect anyone. I can't help but think you're reading my post in a way it wasn't meant to be read, and that probably means it could have been worded better on my part.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject, we're getting pretty far off-topic here. So is it your opinion that the season DOES start out weak from the first episode and stays mostly weak all the way through, or does it get progressively worse?

Comment

*shuffles out sneakily*
                    I did that once in a thread. Shipperahoy threaten to ban me
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

*shuffles out sneakily*
                      Joe is hot. That is my personal opinion and nobody better disagree.

Thanks for the drink. Anyone for popcorn?
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Show me where I said your opinion isn't valid? Where did I dismiss your opinion? Where did I say your opinion was "completely exaggerated"? I NEVER said, or even came close to saying, that you have no taste or that your opinion can't be taken seriously. I never dismissed anyone's thoughts, and that's why I made my post, as a counterpoint.

I think the problem here is probably that you're misreading my post, especially the word "exaggerate". When I say that people exaggerate the bad parts of the episode, I'm not talking directly about their actual opinion. I believe these people may be wrong, but I am NOT saying that their opinion isn't as valid as mine or that they weren't speaking their opinion. What I'm saying is that I believe that you (and others) have underestimated the intrinsic value of the show, or overestimated how bad the season is. That's ALL I meant by the word, I wasn't attacking the validity of your opinion and I wasn't disrespecting your opinion. As I said, if I disagree with your opinion than I DO think you're wrong, and that's all I was saying.

If it's worth anything, I apologize if I caused any offense, I certainly wasn't setting out to disrespect anyone. I can't help but think you're reading my post in a way it wasn't meant to be read, and that probably means it could have been worded better on my part.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject, we're getting pretty far off-topic here. So is it your opinion that the season DOES start out weak from the first episode and stays mostly weak all the way through, or does it get progressively worse?
                        Apology accepted

S5 started out great with S&R. Then it just fell apart. A lot of the stories didn't make any sense, the team was rarely together and I found myself bored much of the time and wishing I could have my funny, amusing, quirky characters back. And the second half of the season really fell apart....Most episodes were nearly unwatchable. If I'd been a casual viewer, not someone tuning in for old times sake, I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                          Aye probably....But I still have faith in a couple of writers, Alan McCullough and Carl Binder We''l soon see if Carl lets me down or not
                          Are they even involved? I thought it was Mallozzi and Mullie only.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          I did that once in a thread. Shipperahoy threaten to ban me

I firmly disagree... *runs off laughing evillish*

It's Claire all the way. *thud*
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I firmly disagree... *runs off laughing evillish*

It's Claire all the way. *thud*
                            Come back here and let me smack you.

I think you're right. M&M wrote the script that is sitting on a shelf for the movie.
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Come back here and let me smack you.
                              *giggles madly*
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thanks for the drink. Anyone for popcorn?
                                Ooh popcorn *grabs some popcorn and sits down in the corner*

Kavan's hot

I'm confused...Yeah BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG shocker there I thought Carl was writing it
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X