S5: Critique and Contemplations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So. New thread.

Would you all be interested in doing an episode by episode critique? It's just an idea - do with it what you will. But I thought, in the interest of sparking thoughtful discussion , that maybe we could take each episode and talk about what worked, what really really didn't, and what we would have changed to make it work better.

Good idea? Horrible idea? Idea best buried and never mentioned again?
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Comment

I like that Idea!
      Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
        So. New thread.

Would you all be interested in doing an episode by episode critique? It's just an idea - do with it what you will. But I thought, in the interest of sparking thoughtful discussion , that maybe we could take each episode and talk about what worked, what really really didn't, and what we would have changed to make it work better.

I like it - and it would fit well with the title of the thread
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          There were a couple of potential ships that appeared to be taking such an approach in Seasons 1 - 3; had they been allowed to continue on that course in Seasons 4 and 5 instead of being dumped down the drain, it's possible things might have been different and we wouldn't be having this particular conversation now.

Then again, given the "hamfisted approach" (in Killdeer's esteemed words) to McKeller as well as the last-minute Ronon/Amelia, perhaps not. A shame, that.
          Well seeing the way they treated the "canon" ship on the show i'm glad they didn't go down this route with the ship I like. They would have more than likely ruined that too. Thank goodness for small mercies

So. New thread.

Ooh that sounds like a good idea And seeing as it's your idea, you can go first
          sigpic

Comment

So. New thread.

there are certain eps i can't comment because I never saw them but otherwise ok will do an ep critique!
            Last edited by Rac80; 19 June 2009, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
              So, it only took the end of SGA to get a thread like this. Oh well better late than never.

I just wanted to share this review I wrote on some internet sites that sell the Season 5 DVD....

Your Thoughts?
              Your review was spot on in a number of ways. I agree with your assessment of S5 but wouldn't label it quite as epic as you do.

And as for *whispers in a hushed voice of awe* Vegas. Enough can never be said about that episode. It's the episode of all episodes IMHO.

I love the idea of an episode by episode critique.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Agreed - Stargate is abysmal at doing any ships IMO.
                Yup, I totally agree. Yet the same PTB are going to put the ship and relationships into full gear for SGU, which I think will need to be carefully written with these writers if they want it to work.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Your review was spot on in a number of ways. I agree with your assessment of S5 but wouldn't label it quite as epic as you do.

And as for *whispers in a hushed voice of awe* Vegas. Enough can never be said about that episode. It's the episode of all episodes IMHO.

I love the idea of an episode by episode critique.
                I used the word epic too many times, lol. I think epic is a part of an episode or an entire episode that sends an everlasting effect to the fans. Like the last scene in the prodigal was one of those epic moments that ended a story arc that went on since the end of Season 2.

But I will not lie, Season 5 was far from my favorite. I guess I was a little upset over the cancellation because I felt they could of done better in a 6th season.

Oh and Vegas was just brilliant, imo.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                  Yup, I totally agree. Yet the same PTB are going to put the ship and relationships into full gear for SGU, which I think will need to be carefully written with these writers if they want it to work.

I used the word epic too many times, lol. I think epic is a part of an episode or an entire episode that sends an everlasting effect to the fans. Like the last scene in the prodigal was one of those epic moments that ended a story arc that went on since the end of Season 2.

But I will not lie, Season 5 was far from my favorite. I guess I was a little upset over the cancellation because I felt they could of done better in a 6th season.

Oh and Vegas was just brilliant, imo.
                  Well, if you define it that way, then Vegas was certainly epic because it sure has had an everlasting effect of one sort or another. Polarizing also comes to mind.

And ITA on the ship idea. I think they could have done better. They just chose a bad pairing. I liked Carson/Laura and think it began nicely. But that's for another thread. They seemed to get ahold of a bad idea like a snapping turtle and not be able to let go.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

so, Search and Rescue

What were your issues with it?

I think my big one that immediately jumps to mind is the injured Shep, internal injuries and all, just HAVING to go and rescue Teyla. Very irresponsible of him. I totally get the 'don't leave anyone behind' and the shep/teyla implications, but I don't think we ever had Jack risking his life and the mission going to rescue someone when he had a serious injury.

shep made himself a liability and jeopardized the rescue simply because - as written - he had to be the hero and rescue teyla.

If they just HAD to play the hero complex, make his injury something less serious. Or don't whump him in the first place.

This is one of many times when Shep seems to be nearly suicidal in his determination to risk his life.

Rodney delivering the baby...eh. played too much for comedy for my taste. of course it HAD to be rod. one of the many times when the focus on Rod seems clumsy.

that was two major plot points that just had me shaking my head
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      so, Search and Rescue

I think my big one that immediately jumps to mind is the injured Shep, internal injuries and all, just HAVING to go and rescue Teyla. Very irresponsible of him. I totally get the 'don't leave anyone behind' and the shep/teyla implications, but I don't think we ever had Jack risking his life and the mission going to rescue someone when he had a serious injury.

shep made himself a liability and jeopardized the rescue simply because - as written - he had to be the hero and rescue teyla.

If they just HAD to play the hero complex, make his injury something less serious. Or don't whump him in the first place.

This is one of many times when Shep seems to be nearly suicidal in his determination to risk his life.

Rodney delivering the baby...eh. played too much for comedy for my taste. of course it HAD to be rod. one of the many times when the focus on Rod seems clumsy.

I quite enjoyed S&R for the most part, but that whole thing with Sheppard had me shaking my head too. Jack frequently got left behind when he was injured (ok, so the writers injured Jack because of RDA's RL stuff a lot of the time, but still...). It didn't look good for Keller or Sam either, to roll over so easily. IMO.
                      sigpic

Comment

so, Search and Rescue

I think Sheppard's suicide runs show us what his character is about. He is a darker character that beats himself up everyday, and it stinks the show got cancelled because it seems they were diving into that with "Remnants" which I thought was a solid episode.

As per Search and Rescue, it was a solid season opener, and I was blown away by the opening scene, was an excellent touch to really bring our Sheps' character.

The baby delivery scene felt a little too rushed and well too easy. I think that was one of the flaws of the episode. Also, Michael seemed to be dumbed down in this one. Coming into Season 5 from Season 4 Michael seemed unstoppable. This ep made him feel like just another gnat in Atlantis' way. Prodigal was simply brilliant with how they fueled his determination. It went back to that old Michael personality of how he is ticked off at Atlantis and still wants to get his revenge. Wish that Michael was in S&R.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'd have to see this ep again to really review it but I remember that I really liked S&R, and that when I watched the first time, thought the season had great promise.
                          The team was involved and Shep was his usual semi-reckless self (although I thought the injury was glossed over a bit at the end - what can I say, I'm a whumper!). I liked that Ford was remembered and there was no McKeller ship in sight.
                          It had action and adventure, humor (I got a kick out of the birth scene) and all the characters participated a fair amount. The scene with Shep and the baby was awwwwwwwww!
                          I just wish the entire season had carried on in this fashion.
                          sigpic

Comment

S & R was too cliched for me... shep running to rescue teyla even though "seriously injured himself" , mckay delivering the baby... uh huh yep saw that one coming! (has wondered for a long time why lorne just doesn't shoot mckay), I will agree that Michael was dumbed down a lot. Oh yeah and "the chick to the rescue" -- only to die in a later (even dumber!) ep. It was one cliche after another, I felt the writers wrote it in their sleep. it had the potential to be SOOOOO good but was really simply mediocre!

AND do not get me started on the easy birth scene...either tptb have no kids or have not talked to a mother lately about giving birth...

And then they dropped the ball on what Michael wanted with the baby anyway over the season......

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                              I'd have to see this ep again to really review it but I remember that I really liked S&R, and that when I watched the first time, thought the season had great promise.
                              I think the first half of Season 5 was better than the 2nd half. The 2nd half had great eps like Vegas and Prodigal, and The Lost Tribe, but it also had horrible eps for my taste like Brianstorm and Inquisition. Inquisition was the biggest dissapointment for me, because they had an opportunity to really reflect on the last 5 years of SGA. I guess you would call Season 5 a hit or miss season, with a few more hits than misses, imo.
                              sigpic

Comment

so, Search and Rescue

I really liked S&R...For the most part. I thought it was a great opening ep to the season, but yes that bothered me too about what Shep done.

Not only did he risk his own life, but he also risked Rodney's and Ronon's life, not to mention Teyla's and also her unborn child. It was a stupid decision by him and a very reckless one too. Keller and Carter were not much better by letting him go. What would have happened if he collapsed, not only would Ronon and Rodney be left to try to rescue Teyla, which would be hard enough to acomplish but they'd have to try get Shep out too. Very careless indeed

But, as much as I dislike Rodney I actually liked that scene between him and Teyla when he was trying to deliver the baby. And Teyla trying to keep calm..hehe...And then we saw Kannan, who I still don't see the reason for keeping him around if he's just gonna be the "invisible babysitter" This whole Teyla/Kannan thing was very badly thought out. He couldn't even try to save Teyla and his unborn chil until her team come to the rescue Even when Michaels control over him was slipping *shakes head*

And another thing that bothered me was Keller's bedside manners, and the joke about playing with Shep's insides bad bad joke

Overall it was a good ep but it did have it's flaws *shrugs*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X