Atlantis evacuation logic problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
    No, the problem is that it's a complete piece of fanwank technology, invented at the last second and never mentioned before as a means to solve the plot hole of "how does Atlantis get from New Lantea to Earth in time to save the day?" Also, apparently the Ancients couldn't figure out the right calculations to make it work in millions of years... but Radek can in what, five minutes?

Yeah, okaaaaaaaaaay...
    How do we know it didn't work? All we know is that they abandoned it because it was too dangerous.

Comment

No, the problem is that it's a complete piece of fanwank technology, invented at the last second and never mentioned before as a means to solve the plot hole of "how does Atlantis get from New Lantea to Earth in time to save the day?" Also, apparently the Ancients couldn't figure out the right calculations to make it work in millions of years... but Radek can in what, five minutes?

Yeah, okaaaaaaaaaay...
      I disagree. We don't know that it didn't work only that the Ancients never had the time to test it.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
        I'll admit it was a plot device but it made sense that it was something they would be working on but never put into service.
        Like that fat species addition to the Atlantis database that Weir/FRAN did in GitM...

If you do not plan on having people look at it in the next few episodes, then DON'T write it down in the script...

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
          Like that fat species addition to the Atlantis database that Weir/FRAN did in GitM...

If you do not plan on having people look at it in the next few episodes, then DON'T write it down in the script...
          Huh? Just because we didn't see it activate makes it a bad plot device? I'll agree that we should have seen it activate but the battle made up for that.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

maybe atlantis couldnt get through witout flying through wraith and they had the same logic problem with that as the asgard would?

Comment

I figure they suspected they probably wouldn't have survived the assault from the Wraith fleet in orbit if they tried to escape through the fly the City of Atlantis through space route. Presumably they'd achieved total air supremacy.
              Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 11 February 2009, 03:44 PM.
              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                I disagree. We don't know that it didn't work only that the Ancients never had the time to test it.
                So in the decade that their city just sat under Wraith siege, they never had time to test it...? A test that would have taken 5 seconds? Okay, sure. Let's go with that.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by WraithHumor View Post
                  My thoughts are that the Ancients were out of ZPMs due to the war and had stashed their last few on other worlds in case of their return after the war.

With only 3 ZPMs it would not of been possible to tax the ZPMs by using both the stardrive and the shield, particularly when the shield was under fire from the massive hive fleet in orbit.

Look at Enemy at the Gate, Atlantis ran out of power quickly in that battle after only a lift off, hyperspace travel to Earth and taxing of the power supplies by repeated hits on the shield. Yes I know the hive in Enemy at the Gate was super powered but still, there were many hives in orbit over Lantea and I believe the effects would of been comparable.

ZPMs were the Lanteans one major advantage, a large power supply but the war would have drained these supplies and I doubt the Ancients wanted to risk loosing the shield in space and the city for that matter.

But remember, to the Lanteans, ZPM's were like batterries are to us, they could make them easily.
                  SIGN THE PETITION: http://www.savesgu.tv/petitions/mult...-sgu-petition/
                  LIKE THE FACEBOOK PAGE: http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU
                  READ THE PLAN: http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...aving-Stargate
                  Spread the word! Save the gate!

Comment

So in the decade that their city just sat under Wraith siege, they never had time to test it...? A test that would have taken 5 seconds? Okay, sure. Let's go with that.
                    Perhaps they thought testing an extremely dangerous piece of technology while underwater and being pelted by Wraith weapons fire was not a good idea?

It's irrelevant anyway. They don't need to test it to know it's dangerous (they can do simulations); too dangerous to pursue, perhaps.

But us humans don't care about that, so there.

Comment

Working...
                    X