Why do you dislike Kanaan so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
    Hee. Okay, you were scraing me there for a second, mostly because I though you would know better.

Oh, you're just telling me what I want to hear now, are you? Though yes, I agree. haha.
    It's no secret that I've always enjoyed the Sheppard and Weir bond. I am glad Season 4 still had a lot of that even for the few eps Weir was in the season.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      It's no secret that I've always enjoyed the Sheppard and Weir bond. I am glad Season 4 still had a lot of that even for the few eps Weir was in the season.
      I'm glad TPTB didn't screw that up even in season 4 and 5; I liked all 3 episodes she was in season four. 3 because BAMSR wasn't really a Elizabeth episode.

And I have a love/hate relationship with GitM because I though MM did really well honouring the orginal character but still I wished they had given her a real ending. Even killing her would do, but I don't like it when they leave her floating out in space void of touch. ;_;

Comment

I agree that I don't understand how someone can hate the character we've seen so little of. I'm not invested in him enough to like or dislike him--let along hate him.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
        I'm afraid the off knob broke off years ago.
        I would be disconsolate if my knob broke off.

Comment

Ronon/not!Chuck
          Can I use that? Please?
          Amelia = not!Chuck
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I'm glad TPTB didn't screw that up even in season 4 and 5; I liked all 3 episodes she was in season four. 3 because BAMSR wasn't really a Elizabeth episode.

And I have a love/hate relationship with GitM because I though MM did really well honouring the orginal character but still I wished they had given her a real ending. Even killing her would do, but I don't like it when they leave her floating out in space void of touch. ;_;
            If that was Torri playing that part, not only would of it been more dramatic, likely one of the most dramatic moments of Stargate, but you could be sure they would of brought her back if there was a 6th season. Perhaps even a 6th season. They wanted her back in some eps, but that is a discussion for another thread.
            sigpic

Comment

Oh, I don't hate him. I just think that it would serve the good of the show if he died. I'm sure it would be a very noble and honorable death. Or he could just walk off a cliff, or a balcony...wait, how do we know that he hasn't already?? lol.

Seriously, I find it a bit strange that a new character was thrown in and suddenly everyone is like "Oh, Kanaan is the father!" I'm like..."uh...who, did I miss something?" He's nothing more than a glorified babysitter, even JM said as much on his blog. He was thrown in as a quick fix where the writers hoped that we'd think "who?" and then promptly forget about him. He's the most useless character on the show. I think they could have solved the baby dilemma easily without throwing in a useless character. The military is like a big family. There would be tons of people more than happy to help out that aren't called out in combat situations.

Anyway, you won't find me in the Teyla/John thread. Besides, I almost think Carson/Teyla would be sweet.
              sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                Can I use that? Please?
                Amelia = not!Chuck
                Hee, of course! Though it wasn't me who made it up. (Someone in the S5 Anti Thread [Complaints & Misgivings] but I still can't bring myself to call it that] did.)

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                If that was Torri playing that part, not only would of it been more dramatic, likely one of the most dramatic moments of Stargate, but you could be sure they would of brought her back if there was a 6th season. Perhaps even a 6th season. They wanted her back in some eps, but that is a discussion for another thread.
                I think it would be so much heartbreaking if it was Torri especially if they continued to strand her character out there which was presisely the reason the role was turned down ... There was no closure to Elizabeth's story and I don't call GitM and ending. I don't think John would give up if she's still out there. (She is.) So I'm kinda glad I was spared that, lol [from Torri playing the role]. But we're getting really off topic here.

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post
                Seriously, I find it a bit strange that a new character was thrown in and suddenly everyone is like "Oh, Kanaan is the father!" I'm like..."uh...who, did I miss something?" He's nothing more than a glorified babysitter, even JM said as much on his blog. He was thrown in as a quick fix where the writers hoped that we'd think "who?" and then promptly forget about him. He's the most useless character on the show. I think they could have solved the baby dilemma easily without throwing in a useless character. The military is like a big family. There would be tons of people more than happy to help out that aren't called out in combat situations.

Anyway, you won't find me in the Teyla/John thread. Besides, I almost think Carson/Teyla would be sweet.
                Again, I did think the character was rushed in and it was too bad he wasn't introduced properly before that missing Athosian plot introduced in "Missing". I think that episode could have been pushed back, maybe replacing an episode like Trio or Harmony and Kanaan could have been integrated into the spectrum of characters before he showed up as the babydaddy. I wouldn't say he's useless, though.

CARSON/TEYLA YEAHHH. That's actually who I do ship her with and I've discussed the possibility of how things could have gone if he was the father. **huggles her semi-dead ships**

Comment

CARSON/TEYLA YEAHHH. That's actually who I do ship her with and I've discussed the possibility of how things could have gone if he was the father. **huggles her semi-dead ships**
                  I think it could have worked out rather nicely if Carson had been the father. It would have been very sweet, touching, and believable. It's a shame that the writers did not consider the possibility as I think the Kanaan quick fix could have been avoided. I wouldn't have minded seeing Kanaan in a different capacity, but there were too many holes for him to have been Teyla's great love leading up to the birth.
                  sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

I think its a shame we didn't see more of him. He seemed like a nice guy, he was kind, sweet and incredibly understanding and supportive of Teyla going back to active duty. I'm sure that if TPTB had had more warning of Rachel's pregnancy they would have laid the foundations for something but they didn't so what were they supposed to do?

People's main complaint seems to be that he appeared out of no where but making Sheppard/Ronon/McKay/Carson/Chuck the father would have been every bit as sudden and far more unbelievable - did you really want to find out that Sheppard, for example, and Teyla had been secretly having an affair without it ever once being mentioned or referred to or even hinted at on screen? As a non-shipper I wouldn't buy it and I know if I were a shipper I'd feel robbed that the romance between the two of them had happened off screen. And in my own personal opinion is that with an ensemble cast a romance between two main characters screws up the dynamic of the show, something we've seen this year.

And as for covering it up so Teyla was never pregnant, I can't see how they could realistically pull that off. Rachel's character is, in essence, some thing of an action hero, on other shows where a pregnant actress is playing, say a doctor, they can have her standing behind counters or holding clipboards in front of her bump while wearing big baggy coats but how would they disguise Rachels pregnancy while Teyla is running through a forest chasing Wraith and firing p-90's? Especially as Rachel is so tiny, I mean look at her in The Kindred, does anyone for one minute think they could have disguised the fact that she was so very pregnant? It would have been ludicrous. Their only option would have written Teyla out entirely for a good two thirds of season four and I think very few of people would have wanted that.

Bringing in Kanaan and the way things were dealt with were anything but ideal but my main complaint is that we should have seen more of him during season five and got to know him better so we understood why Teyla fell in love with him.

Comment

I don't have strong feelings about him one way or the other. He's ultimately a plot device, brought in purely because of outside real life reasons that had nothing to do with the progression of the show and characters. So that's one strike against him right from the start. And he's a poor plot device at that, with next to no development and hardly any chemistry with Teyla. So strike number two.

Overall I find him rather meh. IMO nothing much would have been lost if they had skipped the pregnancy/mother arc with Teyla. And TPTB may have felt the same, considering how that arc wasn't even mentioned in the series finale.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                        I don't have strong feelings about him one way or the other. He's ultimately a plot device, brought in purely because of outside real life reasons that had nothing to do with the progression of the show and characters. So that's one strike against him right from the start. And he's a poor plot device at that, with next to no development and hardly any chemistry with Teyla. So strike number two.

Overall I find him rather meh. IMO nothing much would have been lost if they had skipped the pregnancy/mother arc with Teyla. And TPTB may have felt the same, considering how that arc wasn't even mentioned in the series finale.
                        Toaster says it best. Word.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Toaster says it best. Word.
                          I agree
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                            Word! Why am I expecting tptb to do better at developing plot devices? **headdesk** Again, I think things would be better off for everybody if they didn't make her pregnant at all.

Comment

Kanaan symbolizes the ultimate excuse to minimize Teyla.

I was dreading how TPTB would handle Teyla's pregnancy. Would this be an excuse to exclude Teyla from much of the season? Would TPTB come up with a creative way to handle it? Surely they could come up with something more creative than the typical boyfriend out of nowhere.

Not only did they take that boring route, but they tried to insist that it was a retroactive thing and implied that it was something we, the viewers had failed to observe, along with the the entire expedition (except Ronon). I felt cheated.

My next fear was how they would handle the presence of a child. Would Teyla be constantly left behind to mind the baby while the rest of her team went on missions? She was already being pushed into the background quite a bit, this would make it even easier to do.

What we ended up with was an invisible boyfriend and an invisible relationship (What are they to each other at this point?) for the invisible woman.

Once in a while Teyla roamed the city with a fussing baby. Yes, exactly what I want to see in sci fi -- a passive mother figure with family vs. work conflicts in place of the formerly tough warrior and leader I'd seen in the past. TPTB didn't even allow Teyla to maintain many friendship moments with her team (although those were in short supply this season for everyone). Teyla's main acting partner was her infant (or a doll wrapped in a blanket). Teyla ended up turning into June Cleaver! (Yes, I'm exagerating, so please don't post and tell me each rare moment when Teyla participated with her team).

I would have preferred the old hide the baby bump behind a counter, folliage or luggage. Sure, we would have had less Teyla in season 4, but we didn't have all that much of her anyway. Then in season 5, ideally, she could have bounced back to the same old Teyla, without the domestic issues and without being sidelined because TPTB seemed to be completely unable to comprehend what to do with a woman once she becomes a mother and thereby unshippable, passive, and no longer sexy.

Comment

Word! Why am I expecting tptb to do better at developing plot devices? **headdesk** Again, I think things would be better off for everybody if they didn't make her pregnant at all.
                                I would have to say no to that. I'm just reminded in Voyager how I hated using different camera angles to hide Dawson's pregnancy. It would have taken a lot more away from Teyla to me if they had used a similar practice to Teyla in S4
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X